Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Next two Masterpiece toys for Australia

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I also disagree, but to avoid derailing this thread, please refer to my comments about the Movieverse Optimus Prime character here
    Would love to know why but if you can reply in the thread that you mentioned.

Clearly the G1 mythos should of stayed through the character in your opinions.

I detached myself from the different universes. Each Prime is different they just share the name.

Great work on the bio, Gok! Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you used 1,800,000kg, as opposed to 1,800t or even 1.8kt?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Great work on the bio, Gok! Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you used 1,800,000kg, as opposed to 1,800t or even 1.8kt?
    No real reason. I guess because the original bio cited it in millions of pounds, so I just went straight for millions of kilos in conversion.

Hopefully MP10 doesn't cost much here, even though on eBay he is fetching for over $300 (even going as far to cost over $1,000 )
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Thanks. Nice baseball reference too.

Do you mean his range, strength, speed etc.? That's directly from G1 canon. Many of the metric conversions come from the original Japanese text in MP10's booklet, and others I went and converted on Google and just rounded it off to make it look neater.
    e.g. Optimus Prime's original TFU bio states that Roller's effective range is 1200 miles, which Google converts as 1931.2128km. The original Japanese booklet states that it's 1900km, but I've rounded it down slightly to 1930km.
    specifically,
    lifting 1,800,000 kg, equivalent to holding up 17,658 kN force under Earths gravity.
    so with one hand prime can apply a static load of 8,829kN which is approximately 1665 times more force than he can apply with a punch 5.6kN.

some rough structural analysis indicates that prime can punch through 0.0000117mm of plate steel assuming his fist is approximately 1m x 2m in cross section.
    He can push through 0.019mm of plate steel.
    if his fist was approximately the same size as mine (8cm x 6cm) he could push through 0.42mm of plate steel

for comparison, the shear strength of a single steel 6mm Diameter bolt is 14kN and we see in all sorts of transformers media bridges or large steel structures being handily destroyed by transformers with little apparent effort. if you consider a panel of steel 1m *2m attached by bolts in a shear formation at intervals of 10 cm, that's 1+2+2+1=6000mm of bolts at 24mm apart (4D is a standard fastener pitch for high load situations), 250 bolts holding the panel in place. 250*14= 3500kN static force required to tear that panel away from it's bolted joint prime could push it out but not punch it out.

these are just static analysis numbers, all those values change when velocity of impact and hardness of impacting material (space robot fist)are taken into consideration.

The communication numbers are interesting. radio waves are line of sight, the horizon is 19.6km away from the top of a 30 meter high tower. To be able to communicate 80km through line of sight prime and all his Autobots would need to be an average height of at least 130m,which is really tall. And I would have thought that patching into satellite communications would allow for global communication rather than just a distance of 800km.

Anyway, I'm in no way picking your work, I've always wondered at some of the numbers used in the G1 tech specs, I now have the education (even though some of it is really rusty since I have hardly used it since uni) to realise that perhaps Mr Budiansky was picking numbers from his nether regions, some were reasonable and some were off the charts
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    specifically,
    lifting 1,800,000 kg, equivalent to holding up 17,658 kN force under Earths gravity.
    so with one hand prime can apply a static load of 8,829kN which is approximately 1665 times more force than he can apply with a punch 5.6kN.

some rough structural analysis indicates that prime can punch through 0.0000117mm of plate steel assuming his fist is approximately 1m x 2m in cross section.
    if his fist was approximately the same size as mine (8cm x 6cm) he could push through 0.42mm of plate steel

for comparison, the shear strength of a single steel 6mm Diameter bolt is 14kN and we see in all sorts of transformers media bridges or large steel structures being handily destroyed by transformers with little apparent effort. if you consider a panel of steel 1m *2m attached by bolts in a shear formation at intervals of 10 cm, that's 1+2+2+1=6000mm of bolts at 24mm apart (4D is a standard fastener pitch for high load situations), 250 bolts holding the panel in place. 250*14= 3500kN static force required to tear that panel away from it's bolted joint prime could push it out but not punch it out.

these are just static analysis numbers, all those values change when velocity of impact and hardness of impacting material (space robot fist)are taken into consideration.

The communication numbers are interesting. radio waves are line of sight, the horizon is 19.6km away from the top of a 30 meter high tower. To be able to communicate 80km through line of sight prime and all his Autobots would need to be an average height of at least 130m,which is really tall. And I would have thought that patching into satellite communications would allow for global communication rather than just a distance of 800km.

Anyway, I'm in no way picking your work, I've always wondered at some of the numbers used in the G1 tech specs, I now have the education (even though some of it is really rusty since I have hardly used it since uni) to realise that perhaps Mr Budiansky was picking numbers from his nether regions, some were reasonable and some were off the charts
    You're awesome
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    specifically,

Nerd.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    You're awesome
    thankyou
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Nerd.
    thankyou

My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Here are some images from a draft copy of MP Optimus Prime's booklet. I've attached the original Japanese version for a side-by-side comparison.

Front cover

Bio

Laser rifle blurb

↑Those of you who can read Japanese will notice that the original blurb does actually state that MP10's folding & back storing rifle gimmick is based on the IDW comics (「近年の海外コミックの設定では・・・」)

Combat Deck blurb

Maintenance Dock blurb

Back cover (this took me aaaaages to do)

Wow, looks like a lot of work Gok, but also good fun. Looks like you've done a great job.

I have a question about the Legacy of Optimus Prime section: it looks like you've included Rodimus, Vector, and both Sentinel Primes, but not any Nemesis Primes. It also looks like you've got the second BM Optimus Primal and RID Optimus Primal, but not the first BM Optimus Primal (the blue one that looks nothing like the show character) or 10th Anniversary Optimus Primal. Were these omissions of choice, or just for space reasons? If it was choice, can you explain why you chose to leave them out? In some cases it seems obvious but not so much for others.