View Poll Results: TFPrime Voy Megatron - worth buying?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 33.33%
  • Only if...

5 33.33%
  • No

3 20.00%
  • Not interested

2 13.33%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - TFPrime Voyager Megatron

Default Toy Review - TFPrime Voyager Megatron

(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details)

Toy Review - Megatron
    Series - Transformers Prime
    Sub-line - Robots in Disguise
    Size/class - Voyager/Powerizer
    Wave - 1
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Released here - March 2012 (Released globally Jan 2012)
    Approximate Retail Price - ($45-50?) US$20
    Approximate Size - (18cm?)
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Cybertronian spaceship
    Main Features/Gimmicks - parts that are illuminated from a certain light-source
    Main Colours - Silver, grey, purple
    Main Accessories - cannon, hand-weapon

Last edited by griffin; 17th March 2012 at 03:22 AM.

Got this toy today, here are my thoughts:

+ The colours on this toy are a major let down. Hasbro Grey(TM) dominates and there's little to break it up.
    + The opaque purple parts look kinda neat in giving him that "Dark Energon" look, although I can see how some people might find it silly looking.
    + The automorph weapon is a forgettably lame gimmick. It has a blade that comes out, but there's nothing to lock it in place (as shown in the stock photo). So that's jolly useless. There's also a blinding red light that swings out (much like the light in MP Megatron's fusion cannon, only there isn't a long shaft to "muzzle" the light, the bulb is fully exposed!)
    + For some odd reason, the weapons, knee caps and toes are copper colour which clashes with the rest of the body.
    + The plastic quality on this toy feels very light and cheap.
    + Shoulder pads can obstruct arm articulation (sigh)

Unlike FE Voyager Optimus Prime, this toy does not offer a substantial improvement over the Deluxe. The transformation is slightly more complex, but this isn't always a good thing. The shoulder pads may be separate panels and not sculpted onto the arms like on the Deluxe, but it interferes with articulation and really doesn't enhance the look of the toy anyway. The alt mode canopy splits and goes back... leaving two large kibblicious wing-a-lings on the back that the Deluxe toy doesn't have!

So in some ways, the more complex elements of this toy's engineering actually make the toy worse than the simpler Deluxe. The only real substantial improvement I'd say that the Voyager has over the Deluxe is that the two chest halves that form the front of the jet -- the lock into better (whereas on the Deluxe they just dangle there). That's it.

The boring monotonous Hasbro Grey and cheap feeling plastic makes this toy look and feel like an oversized Knock-Off of the Deluxe figure. Even though I bought this toy at full retail - I would have to vote on saying "No" -- this toy isn't worth getting. Not at full RRP anyway. And even for a cheaper price, you might as well get the Deluxe.

Only recommended if you really want to have a Voyager size Megatron to tango with Voyager Optimus Prime (that's why I got it). Otherwise, just pass it or what until it's on sale.

Here are some photos comparing the Voyager and the Deluxe:

IMO the Deluxe looks a lot better (and it's half the price of the Voyager!). (-_-)

Looking at the two Megatrons there, I think the voyager definitely has the better mould, it's just that the deluxe has such better paint apps & colouring, it also doesn't have the kibble behind the shoulders and the gun is much, much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    Looking at the two Megatrons there, I think the voyager definitely has the better mould, it's just that the deluxe has such better paint apps & colouring, it also doesn't have the kibble behind the shoulders and the gun is much, much nicer.
    Well you can't have everything, especially with Hasbro.

Definitely the colour scheme which makes the deluxe stand out for me, The finish on the Voyager doesn't look as clean either I voted only if and that is only if they improve the colour scheme, I'll most probably fold like a deck chair when I see it

Voyager Megatron owners - can you unscrew the kibble behind the shoulders and take this piece off for a nicer looking robot mode?

Quote Originally Posted by 1orion2many View Post
    Definitely the colour scheme which makes the deluxe stand out for me, The finish on the Voyager doesn't look as clean either I voted only if and that is only if they improve the colour scheme, I'll most probably fold like a deck chair when I see it
    Apparently that's deliberate, to give him a brushed steel look

Brushed Hasbro grey, it's the new black!

I agree with all of that. Between the two, I would absolutely recommend the Deluxe over the Voyager... in terms of value for money, it's a non-contest.

Quote Originally Posted by 1orion2many View Post
    Doesn't feel as clean either. The Deluxe is all smooth like a regular TF whereas the Voyager feels rough and gritty which adds to the cheap/KOish feeling of the toy's plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Well they epically failed in achieving that look.

Brushed Hasbro grey, it's the new black!
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    More like brushed plastic. Already got the deluxe in the entertainment pack, not even slightly interested in the voyager. I prefer the overall look of a figure rather than size accuracy.