View Poll Results: TFPrime Voy Megatron - worth buying?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 33.33%
  • Only if...

5 33.33%
  • No

3 20.00%
  • Not interested

2 13.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - TFPrime Voyager Megatron

Megatron's body glowing thanks to the weapon being mounted on his back.

A comparison between (L-R): Deluxe Megatron, Voyager Megatron and Megatron's cartoon model.

IMHO comparing DLX Megatron w/ VOY Megatron is like comparing Beast Wars with Michael Bay's TF movies -- in both cases the former may be 'cheaper' and have less frills and spills compared to the latter, but offer greater substance and enduring value.

I got this toy because I wanted a Voyager size Megatron for my awesome Voyager size TakTOM FE Optimus Prime to battle. But unless you have this motivation or if you're a completist, then I see no reason to get this toy -- just stick to/get the Deluxe. A much better looking toy for a cheaper price.

Slightly off-topic question: does the packaging have him as 'Voyager' or 'Whatever-it-is-izer'?

Voyager (thank Primus).

From TFwiki:
    Internally, these figures were referred to by Hasbro as "Powerizers" due to this gimmick, but the official name remains "Voyager Class".

i think goks review is very biased.
    I saw it in the shop yesterday and found it to be a quite a nice looking figure and i liked the look of it and promptly went home and ordered it online

I personally just don't feel that it's a terribly good Voyager toy and inferior value for money compared to the Deluxe for reasons already stated. Especially considering that the Voyager cost me basically TRIPLE what I paid for the Deluxe for a toy that isn't IMHO a substantial improvement over the Deluxe (and in some aspects inferior to the DLX). Voyager FE Optimus Prime (which you saw for yourself yesterday ) is a significant improvement over Deluxe Optimus Prime and worth the Voyager price point IMO, but I can't say the same for Voyager Megatron.

I really can't stand the amount of Hasbro Grey on that figure. It really puts me off. Plus the oversized lametastic cannon and purple arms are blech. The light chest thingy seems cool, but would have preferred that one needn't have to attach the gun to his back.

I was excited about the Prime toys when the show came out, especially considering how cool transformers had been designed (well up until DOTM) but after seeing the awesome FE ones and then seeing the bland normal line, I am very much less enthused about them.

I understand them being too complex for kids, but they are just beginning to look a bit too rubbishy for my liking.

I see this as a step back for the brand

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Plus the oversized lametastic cannon and purple arms are blech.
    Gimmicks over substance. I much prefer a less gimmicky but better designed toy - which IMO we get with Deluxe Megatron... or even Voyager First Edition Optimus Prime. That toy has no electronic gimmicks, no transparent body parts ('cept for the eyes), no 'automorphing' weapons... it's just a really nice solid Transformer toy (and his gun has more paint apps on it than the entire Voyager Megatron figure! ).

The light chest thingy seems cool, but would have preferred that one needn't have to attach the gun to his back.
    It really doesn't look all that good IRL as it does in my photo. Because the light source is external you have to look at it directly square on from an ideal angle (i.e. the angle where I've photographed it) for it to look perfectly illuminated... otherwise it doesn't look all that good at all. I had to take 3 different shots before getting it at the right angle -- had to use a tripod and everything too.

Nice or not, it's a fairly superfluous gimmick -- budget money that could have been spent on something else... like paints or engineering the shoulder pads better so they're not in the freakin' way.

I was excited about the Prime toys when the show came out, especially considering how cool transformers had been designed (well up until DOTM) but after seeing the awesome FE ones and then seeing the bland normal line, I am very much less enthused about them.
    Soundwave is alright and I've heard good things about Wheeljack. Does anyone have Cliffjumper?

Seems that as far as the normal line's concerned, the cheaper Deluxes may be better than the dearer Voyagers (although the lack of faction symbols on them bugs me!)

I understand them being too complex for kids, but they are just beginning to look a bit too rubbishy for my liking.
    You can have relatively simple but good looking quality toys - look at Classicsverse or Transformers Cybertron/Galaxy Force etc.

I see this as a step back for the brand
    TFP-RiD Voyager Optimus Prime absolutely looks like a step backwards from FE Voyager Optimus Prime. Yesterday I had my TakTOM FE VOY OP with me at the Parra Meet, and we were comparing it with TFP RiD Voy OP at TRU and quite a few guys were commenting on how the RiD version looked so much crappier than the FE one.

Is Voyager Megatron a step 'backward' from Deluxe Megatron? That's debatable... but IMO it's certainly not a substantial step forward either. Voyager Megatron is nicer than DLX Megatron in some aspects, but worse in others... so in the end, it's kinda like taking a step forward then taking a step backward and ending up in the same place. Only ya know, for triple the price! (or nearly double the price in terms of relative AU RRP terms)

have to agree with the voyager being quiet inferior to the deluxe,and when we seen it on Sunday at TRU for $59.99 it is a total waste of money.

the torture of others sparks is music to my sensors!!!

Well, I love this guy, but there hasn't been a Megatron toy I liked yet.
    I really like the brushed steel effect as it makes him look forged, as opposed to just a toy made of plastic. Yes, the big lighty gun/sword gimmick isn't great, and the dark spectre of MechTech seems to loom large over the entire PRIME voyager line (Praise Toy Jesus I forked out for the First Editions of Prime and Bulkhead) but you can manually postion the blades forward to kkeep the sword out and that's kind of neat.

The RID line has it's haters, but y'know what? It's a fun toy.Remember that? That Toys are supposed to be FUN!? For y'know, kids?

And if you're not a fan I'd recommend pre-ordering the Takara version, I'm sure they'll make it a shiny silver that will really pop and it has a minicon instead of the gun dealie!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallestblue View Post
    The RID line has it's haters, but y'know what? It's a fun toy.Remember that? That Toys are supposed to be FUN!? For y'know, kids?
    Many of us still actively play with our toys and I find the Voyager to be inferior for play value compared to the Deluxe. The shoulder pads obstruct articulation (a significant hindrance to the play value) and the robot doesn't offer much more articulation than the Deluxe. The weapon -- I don't think is awful but doesn't enthrall me. I sometimes find that the back panel which locks onto the chest piece with those two small tabs can pop out during play.

The toy is fine for slow and careful posing but during fast and furious toy play I find parts of it to be limiting where the Deluxe isn't.