View Poll Results: TFPrime Voy Megatron - worth buying?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 33.33%
  • Only if...

5 33.33%
  • No

3 20.00%
  • Not interested

2 13.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - TFPrime Voyager Megatron

i agree that the deluxe is much better too, the only thing the voyager has going for it is its size, but it looks so cheap next to first edition optimus, that even the size isn't much of a plus

the deluxe has a more fun transformation and actually looks like a thing at the end (even if it's a strange flying space crab jet thing XD ), but the voyager looks like a jumble of pieces. i do like the transparent purple, if only the silly weapon took advantage of that instead of.. whatever it is that it's supposed to do other than looking silly?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The only real substantial improvement I'd say that the Voyager has over the Deluxe is that the two chest halves that form the front of the jet -- the lock into better (whereas on the Deluxe they just dangle there). That's it.
    I take this back. When the two chest halves are fully brought forward in jet mode, it makes the crotch plate flip up and not lock in properly. So basically you have to choose - either the crotch plate locks in by the chest halves dangle, or the chest halves lock in and the crotch plate dangles. The instructions show the chest halves dangling and the crotch plate locked in; so that's the official config... which is just as bad as the Deluxe (actually worse) so there's NO actual improvement in this area at all.

Also I have posted a series of comparison pics between Deluxe FE and Voyager PRiDE Megatron here; it shows both toys being transformed side-by-side step by step to compare the engineering between both figures... and there really isn't much substantial difference between the two. The Voyager only has two extra steps more than the Deluxe... so it is a little bit more complex than the Deluxe, but it doesn't achieve a whole lot in the end; the only real improvements made in the vehicle mode is that the hands fold in (but you can still see them), the canopy that forms around the robot head is formed from two halves instead of a single piece (which is far less obtrusive than on the Deluxe - that panel is prone to making the two back "vent" panels pop off) and the legs are a little bit better concealed in jet mode. But this is offset by the inferior colours on the Voyager.

In robot mode the Deluxe wins hands down. The stupid shoulder pads on the Voyager are a constant obstruction during play, often getting caught on the retracted blades on the weapon. And the weapon is so big and cumbersome (made even more awkward by the blades) that it's hard to pose him shooting straight ahead or above. It's almost as if Hasbro just thought, "okay, it attaches. Good enough." What?!? Don't they ever test-play these things themselves?!?!?!?!?

And of course, in terms of colours there's no contest - the Deluxe just pwnz all over the Voyager's bland grey and try hard "Dark Energon" transparent purple (which looks really daft in jet mode).

The sole advantage that the Voyager has over the Deluxe, IMO, is size. I do like how he towers over the other Decepticons... although he is shorter than First Edition Voyager Optimus Prime (I imagine he's about the same height as PRiDE Optimus Prime). But I suppose having him be a little bit shorter is better than being substantially shorter like the Deluxe would be.

So unless the size/scale thing is an issue for you, I cannot think of any reason to recommend this toy. Even then, try to get it at below RRP. There's no way this toy is worth $50 (or more).

This is the weakest toy in the Prime lineup imo, if it can't even look good in the packaging then why even bother? Looking forward to Takara deluxe Megs and Gora but also praying for the perfect toy in Weaponiser form.

Be forewarned that the Deluxe Megatron toy is pretty cringeworthy in its own right and is by far the worst of the TF Prime Deluxes; but at half* or a third** the price of the Voyager the Dlx offers much better value for money.

-------------------
    *The TakTOM Dlx RRP is 2100JPY (AU$24); about 1/2 that of our Voyagers. The additional Arms Micron adds even more value.
    **The Hasbro Entertainment Pack cost me AU$34; since it comes with 2 Deluxes if I halve that ($17) then that's approx 1/3 of what I paid for Voyager Megs. The inclusion of the DVD and 3 human figurines adds more value.

Hopefully they'll do the same thing as Animated - an okay deluxe, a terrible voyager and a totally kick butt leader class toy.

If they do make a bigger Megatron, what would people like to see?

I'd like:
    -Bright red light-piping
    -Chrome sword that pops out of the forearm at the press of a button
    -Adjustable eyebrows (oh yeah!)
    -Adjustable jaw

Come on HasTak, do the best Megatron ever justice!

Megatron's reaction after seeing his voyager class toy

hahaha.

I'd like to see a clip on sword accessory, similar to Voyager Megs' clip on knuckle duster. Don't wanna see a flip out sword unless it actually slides in and out like a switchblade... nah, prefer a clip on. I wouldn't have faith in a decent Leader Class though... most Leader Class toys aren't worth the price point -- Animated Leader Megatron is an exception. Other than him and ROTF Leader OP I can't think of too many other Leader Class TFs that are worth their $90-100 price point. Maybe if they didn't include an electronic sound gimmick in the toy... I'll eat my hat when that happens.

Decepticon Guest

I have been pondering over getting this for the past week and finally decided to bite the bullet and get him today. I really like this voyager! Its good in either mode. His rounded body actually suits the brushed steel look and the purple highlights are a nice touch. Its a real solid figure that stands well and stays together well. His weapons are great, especially the light. He is just a nice sleek toy that is fun and great to look at................you may attack my comments now.

I like him too. But I like him even more now I have painted him. Hasbro would not do it so I finished him for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Decepticon View Post
    Its a real solid figure that stands well and stays together well. His weapons are great, especially the light.
    You don't find the shoulders pop out easily during play? What about the retracted blades? They often hinder arm articulation during play for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Decepticon View Post
    He is just a nice sleek toy that is fun and great to look at.
    For me the monotonous colours ruin the look of the robot mode and the over use of transparent purple spoils the look of the vehicle mode. I much prefer the more solid and diverse colours on the cheaper Deluxe figure.

Quote Originally Posted by VERT
    But I like him even more now I have painted him. Hasbro would not do it so I finished him for them.
    ...which cost you time and money. For a $50 toy I personally expect a LOT better than what I got with this figure. If they're going to give a dull colour scheme, interfering gimmick and poorly connecting shoulder joints... then make the toy cheaper.

And miss out on the painting fun. No way. Never had any problem with the shoulder joints. Weapon is not the best. But better than the crap that Prime has.