Page 67 of 195 FirstFirst ... 475762636465666768697071727787 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Transformers Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    In griffin's defence, the Brontosaurus was considered to be a non-existent dinosaur between 1903~2014, so absolutely in the 1980s it was no longer considered to be a real dinosaur until it was reinstated 30 years later.
    Yeah I found it really weird. Growing up in the 80's the Brontosaurus was one of the dinosaurs we all knew the name of (and not just because of Sludge). There was the Brontosaurus, Triceratops, Diplodocus, Pterodactyl, Stegosaurus and T-Rex. A few of us had also heard of the Allosaurus and Ankylosaurus but that first lot seemed to be the ones everyone knew.

Never even heard of an Apatosaurus until I was an adult so I assumed until a few years ago that the Brontosaurus name had been retired in the 90's or something. I wonder why the name was so well known and so prevalent throughout the 20th century when it had been retired in 1903?

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Yeah I found it really weird. Growing up in the 80's the Brontosaurus was one of the dinosaurs we all knew the name of (and not just because of Sludge). There was the Brontosaurus, Triceratops, Diplodocus, Pterodactyl, Stegosaurus and T-Rex. A few of us had also heard of the Allosaurus and Ankylosaurus but that first lot seemed to be the ones everyone knew.
    In the spirit of this thread...

A few of us had also heard of the Allosaurus and Ankylosaurus but that first lot seemed to be the ones everyone knew.
    Kylo Ren?

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

I've come to realise that the hollow forearms that I've come to absolutely loathe on figures is actually a dislike of the increasingly thin plastic that is used to make figures.

Universe 2.0 Cyclonus and Classics Mirage are both molds that I adore that have flip out fists and hollow forearms, but have thicker plastic forming their 'cuffs' so it looks less terrible.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Went to ship my LG Astrotrain, MP Grapple and MP Cheetor from HLJ. EMS was cheaper than standard shipping. Damn the postal services are weird.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Went to ship my LG Astrotrain, MP Grapple and MP Cheetor from HLJ. EMS was cheaper than standard shipping. Damn the postal services are weird.
    Yeah I only had Grapple and for the first time ever HLJ gave me the option of 'standard international shipping' instead of 'express international shipping'. Usually it only gives ne the 3 options, not 4.

Once your parcel hits a certain size then the cost of standard becomes negligible and them dearer than EMS. So yeah, EMS can be cheaper with certain parcel sizes.

How can anyone justify $600 for a board game?
    If i was making 150k a year, why not?
    But i don't, so I won't.

Never even heard of an Apatosaurus until I was an adult so I assumed until a few years ago that the Brontosaurus name had been retired in the 90's or something. I wonder why the name was so well known and so prevalent throughout the 20th century when it had been retired in 1903?
    I knew about the Apatosaurus when I was in primary school as I'd read about it in a book. I was actually more blown away by the announcement that Brontosauruses were real as I spent most of my life thinking that they weren't! But one of the fun parts of science is readjusting our knowledge according to new evidence. I invented two excuses as to why Sludge was a Brontosaurus.
    1/ In the G1 comics the Dinobots scanned their dino modes from dinosaurs living in the Savage Land, a fictitious place where humans, dinosaurs and other creatures co-exist. So I figured that Brontosauruses must exist in the Savage Land but nowhere else on Earth.
    2/ The museum in the G1 cartoon that they scanned the fossils from had an incorrect Brontosaurus fossil on display and the Autobots scanned it without second thought as they didn't know any better.

As for why Brontosauruses continued to be persist between 1903~2014, as the Wikipedia article explains it was really due to the prominence of the dinosaur in popular culture - so much so that the image of the Brontosaurus became synonymous with 'dinosaur' itself. It was basically a common scientific myth that persisted for 111 years until it became a fact! And mistaking a fictitious dinosaur for being a real one ranks pretty low as far as science myths go considering that there are grown adults who believe that the Earth is flat and that vaccines cause autism.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    *censored censored censored censored*. 600 bucks for a new TF licensed Monopoly board game.
    It really is the most beautiful version they've made thus far. But $600 plus the fact I already have 2 versions of TF Monopoly means for me it goes in the dream basket beside the $800 Unicron lamp

On the dinosaur topic, I always found it a little annoying to Dino-master-kiddy-me that people would often can Swoop a pterodactyl when he is OBVIOUSLY a large and much cooler pteranodon.

New thing, I just discover that I can compact and hide the sections of the board, so no I don't have to scroll past the sales thread. It just becomes one lie! Woo!