Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Words of warning to potential MP-2 buyers

Default Words of warning to potential MP-2 buyers

Beware. This reissue follows the trend of shotty QC in TakTom's latest batch of TF toys. I was really excited when I saw the package sitting on my bed that had been delivered earlier, as I knew who it was. I open up his box to find a disaster area. Uneven and chipped paint, warped plastic and metal. The thing is a mess. Unfortunately my camera isn't good enough to show the detail necessary to actually see the defects as the photo just blurs when it's taken so you'll have to bear with me here. I'll try to describe the problems as best I can.

Ok first of all. His right chest door is warped at the bottom, by which I mean instead of a nice straight bottom, it curves just under the windscreen wiper as if it was hit by something like a small hammer during production. Secondly much of his paint is chipped, particularly around the doors and his knees. The plastic on the bottom of his forearms is terrible. Just under the arrow is a hideous mound of plastic on the right arm and a small crater on the left. There is a similar problem with plastic on his feet. The paint is extremely uneven, particularly on his legs where you can in some places see through to the metal or in others are big mounds of paint blobs. In one place on the back of his left leg, it looks like someone has touched the metal while painting it, and then tried to paint over the top with little success. Even the moving mouthplate is blobby and very ugly. And finally the figure was alarmingly dirty. He came out with brown smudges everywhere. I've had a go at cleaning him, it's now better than it was but still not perfect.

I've been extremely lucky with my collecting because most figures suffering from notorious QC such as MP-4 have been fine in my case, but this time it's caught up with me. I feel cheated and ripped off. I've posted this in the hopes that others will become aware of the problem and avoid buying him. I'm sick of TakTom screwing their loyal fans over, and if nothing changes in the future I'm cutting them loose.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Man that is seriously *******.
    Sorry to hear. Any chance of recompense from the seller?
    Might even be sorrier myself as I just sent a MISB MP04 from Target's notorious batch to a buyer. Hope that one's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Adzma View Post
    Beware. This reissue follows the trend of shotty QC in TakTom's latest batch of TF toys. I was really excited when I saw the package sitting on my bed that had been delivered earlier, as I knew who it was. I open up his box to find a disaster area. Uneven and chipped paint, warped plastic and metal. The thing is a mess. Unfortunately my camera isn't good enough to show the detail necessary to actually see the defects as the photo just blurs when it's taken so you'll have to bear with me here. I'll try to describe the problems as best I can.

Ok first of all. His right chest door is warped at the bottom, by which I mean instead of a nice straight bottom, it curves just under the windscreen wiper as if it was hit by something like a small hammer during production. Secondly much of his paint is chipped, particularly around the doors and his knees. The plastic on the bottom of his forearms is terrible. Just under the arrow is a hideous mound of plastic on the right arm and a small crater on the left. There is a similar problem with plastic on his feet. The paint is extremely uneven, particularly on his legs where you can in some places see through to the metal or in others are big mounds of paint blobs. In one place on the back of his left leg, it looks like someone has touched the metal while painting it, and then tried to paint over the top with little success. Even the moving mouthplate is blobby and very ugly. And finally the figure was alarmingly dirty. He came out with brown smudges everywhere. I've had a go at cleaning him, it's now better than it was but still not perfect.

I've been extremely lucky with my collecting because most figures suffering from notorious QC such as MP-4 have been fine in my case, but this time it's caught up with me. I feel cheated and ripped off. I've posted this in the hopes that others will become aware of the problem and avoid buying him. I'm sick of TakTom screwing their loyal fans over, and if nothing changes in the future I'm cutting them loose.
    sounds like a toy thats been returned and then resealed.

My condolences, I know how you feel.
    My MP Thundercracker has shoddy QC though it's mostly hidden while in bot mode and nowhere near as bad as your MP2 it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDigger View Post
    Man that is seriously *******.
    Sorry to hear. Any chance of recompense from the seller?
    I bought it from RK so I'm not sure. I might contact them later about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgon2098 View Post
    sounds like a toy thats been returned and then resealed.
    I don't think so. As I said I pre-ordered it from RK so it should be from the newest batch. The packaging didn't look resealed either.

Can we say that this is worse than Hasbro's QC slip-ups? Since this is like all of them combined to form Devastator.

MP-02 (Ultra Magnus) is from Takara, not TakaraTOMY. Ditto MP-04 Convoy. A lot of the QC problems with seen from Japanese TFs tend to have occured since just before and since Takara's merger with TOMY. MP-03 Starscream had problems, but that was more to do with questionable design rather than poor QC.

I asked this question before when Henkei Thundercracker/Skywarp came out - do you think I should translate TakaraTOMY's online customer feedback form to English so that non-Japanese English speaking fans can access them? Some people thought that this was a bad idea and that it would be a waste of time... I ran a poll before and most people thought that I should do a translation. Hmmm...*rubs chin*
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 1st December 2008 at 06:25 PM.

Does the box now have a TakaraTomy logo, or still the old Takara logo?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    MP-02 (Ultra Magnus) is from Takara, not TakaraTOMY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Does the box now have a TakaraTomy logo, or still the old Takara logo?
    Yes, the new box now has the TakaraTomy logo. See below: