View Poll Results: How much do you pay for your new Japanese Masterpieces?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full RRP

8 29.63%
  • Above RRP

3 11.11%
  • Below RRP

10 37.04%
  • Skip and wait for Hasbro releases

3 11.11%
  • Do not collect new Masterpieces

3 11.11%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you pay for New JP MPs?

Default What do you pay for New JP MPs?

New Japanese Masterpieces = all TakaraTOMY MPs from 2011's MP-10 onward. This appears to be the way that TakaraTOMY are classifying their MPs too, with the new ones being currently listed on the official web page, and all the previous MPs listed on the Past Masterpiece Archive page.

The options for the poll are:
    + Full RRP; see below for a complete list.
    + Above RRP, e.g. appreciated aftermarket prices
    + Below RRP, e.g. pre order discount, sales prices
    + Skip and hope for cheaper Hasbro release
    + Don't collect the new Masterpieces

We are only looking at the cost of the toy, please do not factor in cost of postage/shipping.

New MP RRPs; as of Oct 2013
    * MP-10 Convoy = 23100JPY / AU$251
    * MP-10B Black Convoy = 13440JPY / AU$146
    * MP-11 Starscream = 13000JPY / AU$141
    * MP-12 Lambor = 6000JPY / AU$65
    * MP-13 Soundwave (w/ Condor) = 16000JPY / AU$174
    * MP-14 Alert = 6000JPY / AU$65
    * MP-15 Rumble & Jaguar = 4410JPY / AU$48
    * MP-16 Frenzy & Buzzsaw = 4410JPY / AU$48
    * MP-17 Prowl = 6090JPY / AU$66

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I first point out the issue here.

Go on debate the same mould in different colours cost so much more.

By the way, from poll I am missing collect the pieces you only like.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post

I first point out the issue here.

Go on debate the same mould in different colours cost so much more.
    Black Convoy is only the cab/robot - no trailer or Roller (or Spike I think). Hence the price difference.

By the way, from poll I am missing collect the pieces you only like.
    That's fine - but out of the pieces that you have collected (doesn't have to be all of them), have you paid RRP, above RRP, below RRP etc.?

I should also say, on average. e.g. I paid full RRP for MP Sunstorm (same RRP as MP11) and I skipped MP10 in favour of the Hasbro version, but I've paid below RRP for all my other New MPs, so on average I've paid below RRP and voted on the poll accordingly. Hmm, in hindsight I probably should've allowed for multiple options in cases where people's spending habits may be evenly divided 50:50... oops. Flip a coin?

The official RRP thread... I guess it was just a matter if time!

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    The official RRP thread... I guess it was just a matter if time!
    I'm deliberately avoiding taking any sides with prices on this thread and have tried to be impartial. I don't want anyone (myself included) using this thread to cast any judgements on what prices people pay. The poll is completely anonymous, nobody's gonna know who's paying what for their MPs unless they want to voluntarily disclose themselves by posting about it.

And even where it says "above RRP," I haven't included (if so, how much?) <--- nobody's going to know how much above RRP anyone's paid for an MP unless they want to disclose it. And if they do, I'm not going to comment about it (you all know what my reaction would be anyway ), and I don't want anyone else to either. Allow me to make this clear; this thread is NOT to be used to either criticise nor laud prices that people pay for MPs. The primary purpose of the thread is to service the POLL which simply seeks to find out what proportion of this community are paying what kind of prices for the New MPs.

Thank you.

I can tell u what people are paying already though - as little as they have to and as much as they're willing to!

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    I can tell u what people are paying already though - as little as they have to and as much as they're willing to!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The primary purpose of the thread is to service the POLL which simply seeks to find out what
    PROPORTION
    of this community are paying what kind of prices for the New MPs.
    If you're quite done having your fun now, let's get back to the actual intended purpose of this thread. Thanks again.

slightly above rrp

reasons:

1. Is takara tomy, there isn't exactly anyone that brings in and sell at rrp to begin

2. I always take my time considering to buy and collect not just blindly "Oh wow Optimus in chrome colour! must have it"

3. The character, I can go "meh" on prowl but I can go "I want" on Jazz. Takara isn't stupid, they choose the cars with multiple same car design characters before going bumble bee and wheeljack.

Overall, is very subjective, atm you point at Ultra Magus and the price just tells me to think. When in such situation it does affect my purchase as all pre-orders are already Sold out.

Mp-soundwave is one example that I can skip the Takara version and go for Hasbro.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    If you're quite done having your fun now, let's get back to the actual intended purpose of this thread. Thanks again.
    I don't think there was anything wrong with his statement.

Pretty much it is what it is.

For you, you can refuse to pay anything above RRP while for some of us do not entirely go by this method as mentioned sometimes it takes a while for someone to change from "meh..." hmmm... "okay, I think I buy it"

I am pretty Happy with Hasbro Metroplex vs Takara's version and this is where price differences does tell a story.

The Masterpiece is however sad to say we are more swayed towards Takara's version because at the moment there isn't a choice for the cars.

Come back and revisit this question again when Hasbro makes a different decision and you see answers changing.

slightly above rrp
    If this is the average trend of what you've paid for New MPs, then you can vote "Above RRP." How slightly are you talking about though? For the purposes of this thread/poll, if you've paid $5 or less above RRP, then we can still count that as "Full RRP," but anything more then we'll consider that as "Above RRP."

reasons:

1. Is takara tomy, there isn't exactly anyone that brings in and sell at rrp to begin
    There are a few. But they would be very expensive because Australian importing laws slap on loads of taxes, duties and levies that makes effectively doubles the Japanese RRPs (it's not the retailer's fault).

A lot of online retailers sell Japanese TFs at RRP (or less if you preorder), e.g. Amiami, HLJ et al.

2. I always take my time considering to buy and collect not just blindly "Oh wow Optimus in chrome colour! must have it"
    Heh, that's fair enough. It's always good if you can see in hand reviews, or best of all if you can see someone else's toy in hand for yourself. I saw someone else's MP10 at a fan meet and decided that it wasn't worth buying.

3. The character, I can go "meh" on prowl but I can go "I want" on Jazz. Takara isn't stupid, they choose the cars with multiple same car design characters before going bumble bee and wheeljack.
    Yep, same reason why I didn't want Starscream or Thundercracker, but I wanted Sunstorm and Acid Storm (and I paid full RRP for them both).

Overall, is very subjective, atm you point at Ultra Magus and the price just tells me to think. When in such situation it does affect my purchase as all pre-orders are already Sold out.
    Definitely. As I said, for the purposes of this poll just have an overall look at your spending pattern for the new JP MPs and vote according to what your average spending pattern has been like.

For me it's been:
    MP10 <--- skipped (got Hasbro's)
    MP11 <--- skipped
    MP Sunstorm <--- Full RRP
    MP-12 <--- below RRP
    MP-13 <--- below RRP
    MP-14 <--- skipped
    MP-15 <--- below RRP
    MP-16 <--- below RRP
    MP-17 <--- below RRP
    Thus:
    56% of my New MPs were purchased below RRP
    33% skipped
    11% at Full RRP
    So I voted "Below RRP" since that represents how I paid for most of my MPs. I've also already prepaid for MP Bluestreak and Smokescreen at below RRP too.

For you, you can refuse to pay anything above RRP while for some of us do not entirely go by this method as mentioned sometimes it takes a while for someone to change from "meh..." hmmm... "okay, I think I buy it"
    I NEVER said anything about my personal policy on this thread. I've intentionally avoided doing so. If people are willing to pay below RRP, at RRP, or above RRP for MPs (or whatever), then that's up to them. I am NOT making ANY subjective comments about such issues whatsoever on this thread.

This thread is NOT intended for ANYONE to debate how much people are paying for toys. Please stop trying to drag me into an argument which I am very deliberately attempting to AVOID. Everyone knows what my opinion about pricing is; I did NOT create this thread as a personal soapbox to harp on about it again. If you're REALLY interested in having that discussion with me, then shoot me a PM.

I'll say this again, the PURPOSE of this thread is to see what proportion of members are paying - on average - for new Japanese MPs. That is all. Please limit the scope of your discussions to the purpose of this thread rather than derail it toward more subjective or judgemental discussions/debates which this thread is most intentionally attempting to avoid.

Thank you once more for your understanding and cooperation.