View Poll Results: How much of your G1 collection is reissues?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5% or less

16 48.48%
  • 10%

3 9.09%
  • 15%

1 3.03%
  • 20%

2 6.06%
  • 25%

0 0%
  • 30%

1 3.03%
  • 35%

0 0%
  • 40%

0 0%
  • 45%

0 0%
  • 50%

0 0%
  • 60%

0 0%
  • 70%

1 3.03%
  • 80%

2 6.06%
  • 90%

2 6.06%
  • 100%

5 15.15%
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How much of your G1 collection is reissues?

Default How much of your G1 collection is reissues?

Got this idea from this thread -- how much of your G1 collection is pure original G1, and how much of it is reissues?

Let's set some parameters for this thread:
    * We're not looking at variants
    * We're only looking at reissues where you do not have the original G1 toy for - if you have both the original and reissue, then we're not counting that toy-character
    * We're just looking at Hasbro G1 please

Example
    I have 401/450 G1 Transformer toys (making my G1 collection 89% complete). Out of those 401 G1 TFs, 16 of them are reissues where I do _NOT_ have the original G1s. Thus 3.99% (so that falls in the "0-5%" option for the purposes of this thread's poll) of my G1 collection are reissues where I do not have the originals.

e.g. I have 6 different G1 Bumblebees, two are originals and four are reissues (all variants) - for this thread they all count as x1 toy-character (i.e. 1984 Bumblebee).

My reissues where I do not have originals are:
    1984 Jazz - TFC and Commemorative Series
    1984 Prowl - 1990 Classic reissue
    1984 Sideswipe - 1991 Classic reissue
    1984 Megatron - 2001 reissue (used to have original but it got stolen)
    1985 Red Alert - Commemorative Series reissue
    1985 Smokescreen - TFC reissue
    1985 Tracks - 1991 Classic reissue
    1985 Perceptor - TFC reissue (offloaded original to another OTCA member after getting reissue)
    1985 Ultra Magnus - Commemorative Series reissue (original was stolen)
    1985 Sky Lynx - Encore reissue (original never sold in Australia)
    1986 Galvatron - reissue & eHobby (original stolen)
    1986 Dead End - 1990 Classic reissue
    1986 Wildrider - 1990 Classic reissue
    1987 Targetmaster Hot Rod - TFC reissue (original never sold in AU)
    1987 Targetmaster Kup - TFC reissue (original never sold in AU)
    1990 Action Master Optimus Prime - New Year Special reissue

Note: I'm not saying that they're anything bad or wrong with having reissues - I loves 'em. Just curious to know what percentage of our G1 collections are reissues. Feel free to discuss your thoughts about originals and reissues.

The vast majority of my G1 collection are originals, but the following are reissues:

Autobots
    Cliffjumper
    Bumblebee (have an original Red bumblebee though)
    Hoist
    Grapple
    Red Alert
    Skids
    Bluestreak
    Smokescreen
    Swoop
    Slag
    Hot Rod
    Ultra Magnus
    Powermaster Optimus Prime
    Strafe
    Lightspeed

Decepticons
    Megatron
    Galvatron
    Skywarp
    Thundercracker
    Rumble
    Frenzy
    Laserbeak
    All 5 Predacons
    5 of the 6 Constructions (I have an original Scrapper)
    3 of the 5 Terrorcons (I have original an Hun-Grrr and don't have Blot)
    4 of the 6 Seacons (I have an original Snap Trap and Nautilator)
    Sixshot

I am 99% certain my Trailbreaker and Gnaw are originals, but I have friends who argue both sides of the fence - some insist they are originals and others insist they are reissues. Until one side proclaims victory I say that my Gnaw is definetly original, but Trailbreaker could possibly be a reissue. Personally I have never been too worried about the distinction, as I am just happy to have the figures. That said, when Encore Fort Max comes out, I will be proclaiming loudly to all that will hear how I have the original, not the re-release

Zero Im a hardcore vintage only collector. Part of collecting for me is the historical aspect, i love the fact that all my toys are 20-30 years old

i only have 2 reissues that take the palce of a g1 original.
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by theshape View Post
    Zero Im a hardcore vintage only collector. Part of collecting for me is the historical aspect, i love the fact that all my toys are 20-30 years old
    Same, but I do have e-hobby sunstorm or whatever his name is, but I feel like I should sell him everytime I move his box..... I also recently purchased a ''classic's" octane but hes got a specific task ahead of him then hes going to be sold once his mission is completed

Megatron Guest

Being a completist I like to collect both. However, they are distinctly separate categories for me so I won't ever say, "I have a G1 Starscream" when in fact what I have is an Encore. I will say, "I have an Encore G1 Starscream" to clarify, otherwise I think it can be misleading. I undestand that many collectors consider them the same in many respects, but I don't. So if I proclaim for example that I have a G1 Megatron, then what I mean is I have an original G1 Megatron from 1984.

So I don't really like it when someone says they've got a particular G1 toy (without clarifying further)... but later I find out it's actually a reissue. It's technically a G1 toy sure, but to me when I hear someone say they own one I always think, "ooh... a vintage G1 toy!" So I agree with shape; the historical aspect of the originals puts them into a class all their own and is one of the best things about them.

So as I mentioned, the only G1 reissue I own at the moment is an Encore Starscream (though I plan to also own an original G1 Starscream). Not because I don't like reissues - I do - I'm just a relatively new collector and still have a lot of catching up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    My reissues where I do not have originals are:
    1984 Jazz - TFC and Commemorative Series
    1984 Prowl - 1990 Classic reissue
    1984 Sideswipe - 1991 Classic reissue
    1984 Megatron - 2001 reissue (used to have original but it got stolen)
    1985 Red Alert - Commemorative Series reissue
    1985 Smokescreen - TFC reissue
    1985 Tracks - 1991 Classic reissue
    1985 Perceptor - TFC reissue (offloaded original to another OTCA member after getting reissue)
    1985 Ultra Magnus - Commemorative Series reissue (original was stolen)
    1985 Sky Lynx - Encore reissue (original never sold in Australia)
    1986 Galvatron - reissue & eHobby (original stolen)
    1986 Dead End - 1990 Classic reissue
    1986 Wildrider - 1990 Classic reissue
    1987 Targetmaster Hot Rod - TFC reissue (original never sold in AU)
    1987 Targetmaster Kup - TFC reissue (original never sold in AU)
    1990 Action Master Optimus Prime - New Year Special reissue
    I'm sorry to hear you had a few originals stolen... man that's a really low act. Did this happen recently?
    Last edited by Megatron; 13th December 2012 at 12:34 PM.

5% or less. Most of the reissues I own have their vintage G1 figure counterpart.

As mentioned in the other thread, to me an official re-release of a toy that is faithful to the original counts as part of the G1 line. My collection may only have less than a handful of reissues but I still see them as part of my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullcruncher View Post
    Same, but I do have e-hobby sunstorm or whatever his name is, but I feel like I should sell him everytime I move his box..... I also recently purchased a ''classic's" octane but hes got a specific task ahead of him then hes going to be sold once his mission is completed
    I have Sunstorm but I don't count him as vintage G1 since that repaint was never part of that line.

I would say that at a guess, 80% of mine would be original G1 toys. Due to my obsessive behaviour in obtaining mint specimens, reissues were the way to go for some as vintage MISB were out of my price range. I'm also proud of the fact that the majority of G1 toys that I own were mine when I was a kid and that same obsessive behaviour allowed me to keep them in perfect condition even though they were played with. Only Megatron suffered slightly, but nothing a few reprolabels wouldn't fix

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I am 99% certain my Trailbreaker and Gnaw are originals, but I have friends who argue both sides of the fence - some insist they are originals and others insist they are reissues. Until one side proclaims victory I say that my Gnaw is definetly original, but Trailbreaker could possibly be a reissue.
    Your Gnaw, unless it is a KO, would be an original as it was never reissued. The Encore release of Trailbreaker has a blue visor; the original has red. Hope that helps.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    So I don't really like it when someone says they've got a particular G1 toy (without clarifying further)... but later I find out it's actually a reissue. It's technically a G1 toy sure, but to me when I hear someone say they own one I always think, "ooh... a vintage G1 toy!" So I agree with shape; the historical aspect of the originals puts them into a class all their own and is one of the best things about them.
    When I catalouge my TF's I tend to put them under G1, but then put a little (R) next to their name. But the vast majority of my friends don't really care so I only bring it up if I'm showing them off to another collector and they want to know

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I have Sunstorm but I don't count him as vintage G1 since that repaint was never part of that line.
    The same, I put him under 'Special Figures' in my own private catalouge, though I think I have his photo under G1 figures in my FB album

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

Your Gnaw, unless it is a KO, would be an original as it was never reissued. The Encore release of Trailbreaker has a blue visor; the original has red. Hope that helps.
    Ha! I knew it! And my Trailbreaker DOES have a red visor so he is original! Cheers mate!