View Poll Results: Encore Devastator - worth buying?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 43.33%
  • Only if....

10 33.33%
  • No

4 13.33%
  • Not interested in this.

3 10.00%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Encore #20: Devastator Giftset

(Scavenger's toes are poorly made and are prone to falling out (this has never happened on my original G1 Scavenger).

Ive noticed this too. As i don't have the original to compare with, what is the reason for this? Are the connectors used different?

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Hopefully mine will arrive on Monday seeing as though everyone else who ordered from RK already have theirs
    I ordered mine from HLJ... but not that these companies directly control the shipping, it's up to Japan Post/Australia Post really. Hopefully you'll get yours on Monday... I know how frustrating it is seeing everyone else get theirs and yours is still in transit!! It's like every day is "is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet?"

Quote Originally Posted by sideswipes brother View Post
    Ive noticed this too. As i don't have the original to compare with, what is the reason for this? Are the connectors used different?
    The pegs for the toes are smaller/thinner than on the original. I'll take a comparative photo later and post it. No idea why... seems to be a design or manufacturing flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I ordered mine from HLJ... but not that these companies directly control the shipping, it's up to Japan Post/Australia Post really. Hopefully you'll get yours on Monday... I know how frustrating it is seeing everyone else get theirs and yours is still in transit!! It's like every day is "is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet?"
    As luck would have it, I didn't have to wait until Monday
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

As luck would have it, I didn't have to wait until Monday
    So what do you think??

Quote Originally Posted by sideswipes brother View Post
    So what do you think??
    As far as boxes go, it's very nice (I'm not planning on opening it... shhhhh)
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

As far as boxes go, it's very nice (I'm not planning on opening it... shhhhh)

well at least this one has clear plastic windows so your sure it's not just a brick in the box hehehehe
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Some more random comparison pics...

Scavenger: (L) 1985 G1, (M) 1992 G1, (R) Encore

Same lineup of Scavengers in robot mode

Scrapper, L-R: 1985 G1, 1992 G1, G2, Encore

Scrappers with shovels raised

Scrappers in robot mode

Mixmaster, L-R: 1985 G1, 1992 G1, Encore

Bonecrusher, L-R: 1985 G1, 1992 G1, Encore

You can see how the added tab on Encore Bonecrusher allows the arms to firmly lock together, eliminating the gap that can appear in G1 Bonecrusher (more noticable on 1992 "Bonecrusher" in this photo). I do quite like this modification they made on Encore Bonecrusher.

Comparison of 1985 G1 and Encore Scavenger's legs:

Note the peg that connects the toe to the foot is substantially smaller on Encore Scavenger. This is why the toe can't stay connected to the foot properly and keeps friggin' popping out!

And this rather minor flaw on Long Haul:

For some reason the purple peg on Encore Long Howl's back is smaller than on G1 Long Haul, this leaves gaps when the roof panel is folded back. On G1 Long Haul, this panel locks in with the purple peg, but on Encore Long Howl, the panel cannot lock into place. While this doesn't effect the display value of the toy in robot mode, it does become a slight annoyance when playing with it in robot mode as the panel becomes more prone to flopping around during toy play.

I think I kind of like the lighter Green they are. I always imagined them about that colour to be honest.

Gok, Are your G1s suffering from any plastic yellowing, perhaps making them look a bit darker than they would normally?

I don't think so. I have two G1 Long Hauls (one is from my childhood, another I acquired a few years ago at a Parra fair) and they both have the same shade of green.

Left: G1 1985 Long Haul from my childhood (my very first Constructicon!)
    Centre: Encore Long Howl
    Right: A 1985 Long Haul that I purchased just a few years ago
    As you can see, both G1 Long Hauls have a darker green than Encore Long Howl.

Here are some links to other photos of G1 Devastator:
    http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/9/91/G1devastator_toy.jpg
    http://tfu.info/1985/Decepticon/Deva.../robotmode.jpg
    http://www2.unicron.com/images/igall...termarkpng.JPG

Well, I FINALLY got mine today! Was getting a bit worried and rightly so, judging by the looks of the box (but more on that later).

I was so excited that I whipped him open straight away and tranformed them into robot mode, then had them form Devastator! I know from looking at pal's versions that he isn't the most articulated or tallest combiner, but being the first is pretty cool.

However, putting the leg connector up Long Haul's jacksie almost gave me a heart attack, it was soooo tough to get in there! And made an extremely solid click once in place properly, now I am concerned as to how to gte it out without ripping Hauly in half...

Still, interesting toy, since they come from the Diaclone line and therefore designed in the late 70s (?) quite clever really. The connectors were interesting since the earliest I had ever played with were the ones from the Scramble city crew (Menosaur/Superion etc) and so something different.

Nice to look at them in a group as either robot or vehicle, the uniform colours and theme really add some charm.

Just slightly annoyed that some plastic is a different green to the rest. For example, Bonecrusher and Scrappper's canopys are a lighter shade of green, almost yellow. As is Scavengers scoop, Hook's Hook and Dev's groin piece (loin cloth? ).

Fore-arm springs are very touchy and powerful! ROOOCCCKKETTTO PUUUNNNCHIII! I might have him fight my Mazinger Z!

Glad I got it!