Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 日本語会話: The Japanese Conversation Thread

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I recommend watching Japanese films/shows on DVD rather than on TV for the purposes of language learning. One thing that I recommend to my students is to alternate between watching the same episode with the subtitles on and off, preferably starting without subtitles on the first viewing. Because if you only ever watch shows with subtitles on, while your brain may pick up a few words or detect some patterns here and there, on the whole, your brain's actually NOT doing much work at all. But yeah, I recommend watching it in raw Japanese first, then watching it with subtitles on, then watch it again raw.
    That's a good idea, I'll try it

So I've been stuck at home all week with glandular fever and I made a video presentation so that I could remotely "teach" some new grammar structures without physically being in the class. Anyway, here's a copy of my video in case anyone else might find it useful. The password is 11JAC2017
    https://vimeo.com/227228567

Topics covered are:
    * Describing things with relative clauses
    * The conditional たら
    * Conditional hope (たらいい)
    * Talking about past experiences
    * Saying something is easy or hard to do
    * Using と to say "if" or "when"
    * Saying what you can see or hear (a very brief introduction to the potential form)
    * Saying whether or not using かどうか

My voice isn't the greatest... I spent a lot of time editing out sounds of me sneezing and coughing. And I know there's one part of the video where I made a grammatical mistake. Those of you who've had glandular fever will know how hard it is to think or speak straight.

Anyway, for those of you still learning Japanese please LMK what you thought of this video. Was it useful? Cos I'm wondering if I should make more. They might come in handy as a general teaching resource because I can just chuck the video on at the start of each new unit. Because in teaching we often just repeat the same thing over and over again, and these videos would save me from doing that. And instead I could focus on answering specific questions that students have. I know that other teachers in other subjects are already doing this.

Awww snap, I fell for this!

There's going to be a proposed law that requires foreigners living in Japan to learn Japanese. I think this makes total sense. Living in Japan without speaking Japanese makes about as much sense as living in Australia without speaking English. It's just common sense (and general respect to the country that you're living in). It's sad that it should have to be a law, but I've encountered my fair share of people who never bothered to really learn the language of the country that they're living in.

And it's really of benefit to that immigrant. If you're living in Japan and you don't speak Japanese, then it mostly sucks for you. Although it can suck for others around you, like when government services need to spend public funds hiring interpreters (e.g. court interpreters; I've been told by someone who used to work in a court that trials take way longer when interpreters are required because everything has to be presented in multiple languages).
    https://resources.realestate.co.jp/n...or-foreigners/

For those who may not have seen the news, with the Emperor soon abdicating his throne, from next month Japan will leave the Heisei Era (平成時代) and enter the Reiwa Era (令和時代).

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    There's going to be a proposed law that requires foreigners living in Japan to learn Japanese. I think this makes total sense. Living in Japan without speaking Japanese makes about as much sense as living in Australia without speaking English. It's just common sense (and general respect to the country that you're living in). It's sad that it should have to be a law, but I've encountered my fair share of people who never bothered to really learn the language of the country that they're living in.

And it's really of benefit to that immigrant. If you're living in Japan and you don't speak Japanese, then it mostly sucks for you. Although it can suck for others around you, like when government services need to spend public funds hiring interpreters (e.g. court interpreters; I've been told by someone who used to work in a court that trials take way longer when interpreters are required because everything has to be presented in multiple languages).
    https://resources.realestate.co.jp/n...or-foreigners/
    I totally agree. However there are children of foreign workers who are not getting sufficient social and learning support. I read that there are around 40k in this cohort and around 10k do not even attend school.

For adults planning to go there, yeah it is quite useful to learn though there are expats who cocoon themselves up.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptormesh View Post
    I totally agree. However there are children of foreign workers who are not getting sufficient social and learning support.

For adults planning to go there, yeah it is quite useful to learn though there are expats who cocoon themselves up.
    Neither of these problems are exclusive to Japan though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Neither of these problems are exclusive to Japan though.
    Of course, never said otherwise. Still always good to adopt the language of your new habitat.

lol, I see what you did there with your new avatar, Raptormesh. #お尻探偵