View Poll Results: TLK Voyager Optimus - worth buying?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 53.33%
  • Only if...

3 20.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

4 26.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - TLK Voyager Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    You found this toy in Sydney? May I ask where?
    I got it from robotkingdom
    And i forgot to add in the last post i wish i could find a compatible trailer in the same scale for him.
    Last edited by G1Optimal; 4th June 2017 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    You found this toy in Sydney? May I ask where?
    They have been showing up at Kmarts now as well for $49, compared to ToysRUs price of $50.

Found one at my local Kmart, so Alles Gute.

A very satisfying Voyager figure at actually looks better IRL than in photos. Some of the colouring could be better done, but it's by no means a bland looking figure. There are a lot more colours happening on this toy than AoE Voyager Optimus Prime - all in all this is a much better toy than its AoE Voyager and Leader Class counterparts (relative to price/size). The paint apps on the eyes actually look better than I'd expected, and the use of metallic blue and red plastics and paints on the truck body, as well as painted silver highlights are a really nice touch. Colour-wise my only gripes are the cheap "Hasblow" grey on the smoke-stacks and vehicle rear/trailer hitch. Although I would've preferred this grey on the steps. The black clashes with the silver, blue and red surrounding it - at least the cheap grey might've blended with the silver. Not well, but also not jutting out like the black.

But I'll take a superior mould with cheap grey over a lacklustre mould covered in chrome any day. As Sutton said, if the colours bug you then you can always paint over it. But not amount of paint can cover up a bad mould... it's like puttin' lipstick on a pig.

PHOTOS

The hitch is a 5mm port so you can slot in any 5mm post weapon/accessory in there.

Quote Originally Posted by G1Optimal View Post
    And i forgot to add in the last post i wish i could find a compatible trailer in the same scale for him.
    Look no further than your G2 shelf! Laser Optimus Prime's trailer fits in with this toy.

And the trailer slots into this toy a lot tighter than it does on G2 Laser Op. Here's a photo demonstrating how solid the connection is.

Tips for connecting G2 Laser Prime's trailer:
    * Remove the sword from the underside as the weight of the trailer will push down on the toy and the hilt of the sword may drag. This proves especially cumbersome when rolling on carpet.
    * Avoid inserting the trailer's post all the way into TLK OP's hitch. The post is rather short and full insertion may end up lifting OP's rear wheels (rather than having them sitting on the surface to roll with the rest of the wheels). A half-insertion works just fine.

Im after a box trailer more than a tanker but, thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by G1Optimal View Post
    Im after a box trailer more than a tanker but, thanks anyway.
    There aren't any box trailers w/ 5mm posts that spring to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post

The 5mm post has got to be THE best gimmick that Transformers has ever had in terms of simplicity and longevity. As most of us know, 5mm post weapons go all the way back to 1984 with toys like Optimus Prime, Soundwave and the Cassettes all having cross-compatible 5mm post weapons. And I must say that while Armada cops a fair bit of criticism, its most enduring legacy would have to be the standardisation of the 5mm post.

I had a quick muck around with some of my trailers and I found the closest box trailer match that I have is DotM Deluxe Optimus Prime's trailer.

Granted it's small (Deluxe scaled trailer on a Voyager figure) and the connection is loose but it fits well enough for the truck to drag the trailer along. Energon Optimus Prime's trailer is actually a perfect 5mm post but alas the connector is far too short and cannot connect to Optimus Prime's hitch.

This is one of the better Voyager molds in a very long time. Very elegant transformation to recreate a nigh impossible robot design, with minimal truck kibble. Great bang for your buck at the Voyager price.

Since it's been revealed that what we've seen so far is all we'll get in TLK Premier Edition, I however think they missed the opportunity of using this engineering on a Leader class figure. It would've been so much better with the extra budget to further break down the kibble, refine a few robit bits, and get the colors right. That'd be like RotF Leader Prime all over again. Ah well we'll see an MP knight Prime at some point no doubt.

As is, this is still a great desk toy to mess with once in a while. I had it on my desk at work and the co-workers were blown away by the engineering (I work at an engineering firm mind you).

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    This is one of the better Voyager molds in a very long time. Very elegant transformation to recreate a nigh impossible robot design, with minimal truck kibble. Great bang for your buck at the Voyager price.
    I'm glad I never got the AoE Leader Optimus. It didn't feel like they could make the new robot mode work with all the junk they hanging off him and the silly pop up head gimmick. Will be interesting to see if we do get a leader version with similar transformation. Think there's a KO leader version in production already tho.

Also waiting for that new movie masterpiece prime. The hurt on the wallet never ends haha.

The 2nd Generations Leader AoE Optimus Prime is a decent enough figure. While the robot mode is more kibbley than this Voyager, it does have a more solid looking vehicle mode and superior colours and sculpting -- but of course, at double the price point. So in relative terms they're about on par with each other. The First Edition Leader AoE Prime toy on the other hand is just bad.

TLK Leader Optimus Prime is slated to be a redeco of the Generations AoE Leader Class figure. That's a pass for me.
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Optimus_Prime...r_Class_toys_7