Page 60 of 195 FirstFirst ... 405055565758596061626364657080 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Transformers Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Time travel! Separate timelines! There's probably some whacko way we can explain continuity in the Sunbow cartoon.

-----------------------------------------------

Continued from here:
    Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    BW2nd
    Fixed.
    was much like super god masterforce for me, quite japanese-y, maybe too much for my taste, mind you I had a poorly dubbed copy so I enjoyed that chore even less
    I know what you mean about BWII and Neo having a much more Japanese flavour to it. And story wise both series were quite rubbish. BWII also had really sub-par animation quality, and while the animation improved in Neo, that series suffered from utter banality (up until the Unicron arc of the story which only happened at the very end, but suffering through the rest of the series to get up to it just isn't worth it ).

Although there are three key differences between Super God Masterforce and Beast Wars 2nd:
    * As a continuation of The☆Headmasters, Masterforce continues to travel along a divorced G1 cartoon continuity from the US series. And although the US cartoon no longer existed in 1988, MF still continued to make their concept on Pretenders and Power/Godmasters to be entirely different from that of Anglophone continuity. Also, Ginrai ≠ Optimus Prime
    * The story of Masterforce was actually reasonably well written! Unlike Anglophone Pretenders, the Japanese Pretenders are able to mass shift and reduce themselves to human size. This allowed the Autobot Pretenders to live among humans as humans, and the Decepticon Pretenders to prey on humans as human-sized monsters. It was also interesting how they explained that the Decepticon Pretenders were the prime source of human monster myths across various cultures throughout time. The idea of Godmasters and Headmaster Juniors is more similar to the Anglophone version of binary bonding between humans/Nebulans and Cybertronians. The Godmaster took it one step further by linking it with mythical "Chi" energy, which ties in with East Asian culture that the show is targeting. #TheForce
    * Good animation! Masterforce was clearly given a bigger animation budget than The☆Headmasters. The animation in this series as well as Victory and Zone are just magnificent. It was the first time that a Transformers series looked and felt like anime. BWII on the other hand has brilliant animation in the opening theme and theatrical movie, but the animation in the actual episodes is just rubbish. BW Neo was better, but it did recycle a lot of stock animation... like every transformation.

As for the on going discussion with gotimusprime and verno about what optimus primal is...

I honestly think BOTH of you are correct.

They are meant to be the same character, in the same universe, however takara in japan wrote beast wars differently, remember airazor was a man and were writing on the fly until tigertron and airazor kissed and ruined their little bromance they had going on.
    Yeah, but to be honest, the change in Airazor's gender didn't affect anything as far as the outcome of the story was concerned. In other words, it bore zero relevance to the continuity, and thus isn't really a continuity contradiction. Transformers are physically genderless robots, and Japanese doesn't normally even use gendered pronouns, so the only real difference is that the voice was male instead of female. And they kept the romance!

JP BW actually gave us the first TF same-gender Conjunx Endurae long before IDW did!

But this would also mean g1 convoy and g1 optimus prime are also different characters, we know the japanese headmasters were VERY different to what we westerners got.
    That's different because you're looking at a continuity split. And even if there is a continuity split, it doesn't make them different characters. At most, it makes them different versions of the same character. Whether they are the same person or not is a philosophical question which probably goes beyond the scope of this discussion. An example of this is Rewind in the IDW comics. He died. Got locked in a temporal cell with Overlord and the thing was blown apart. But there was a momentary split in time where two different versions of the Lost Light and her crew existed before the time stream was reasserted. When that happened, Rewind from a different time stream who didn't end up being locked in with Overlord and killed survived. Although his Chromedome died. Now Rewind and Chromedome from two different but now reasserted time streams have found each other. They were hesitant at first, but now see each other as being the same actual person that they'd previously lost in collapsed time lines. But are they right or have they fallen for different people who happen to be the same character.

Individuality Vs Identity
    (this is a sub-topic that I teach in the Japanese Extension HSC course, so it's a topic that I'm quite familiar with )

Both Rewind and Chromedome are the same individuals as the ones that were lost. They are not different individuals who represent the same identity, even though these individuals may have come from variant time streams. When we look at Optimus Primal/Convoy in the Canadian series and Convoy in BWII, they are the same individual. The Japanese one may arguably come from a divergent expanded continuity, but it is the same individual, not the same identity. Optimus Primal in the IDW comics on the other hand is the same identity but different individual.

An identity is the character, but not necessarily the same individual.
    e.g. G1 Optimus Prime is an identity. G1 cartoon Optimus Prime, G1 Marvel Comics Optimus Prime, G1 IDW Comics Optimus Prime etc. are different individuals of that shared identity. On a grander scale, Optimus Prime as a character is essentially an identity, even across different continuity families (e.g. Prime, Movieverse etc.).

But in the case of Convoy vs Convoy, they are not just the same identity, they are the same character. Even if we accept that one is from a divergent universe, they are still the same individual. It's just that one may have experienced events that the other hasn't, but it doesn't make them different people. Especially considering that JP Convoy's story reasserts itself with the Canadian continuity, because it's followed directly by Beast Wars Metals, which is the Japanese dub of Seasons 2-3 of the Canadian series. In fact, the Beast Wars movie has three parts to it:
    1. "Clash! Beast Warriors"; a segment reusing video from Season 1 to summarise that season.
    2. "Lio Convoy in Imminent Danger"; an original animated movie which tells the story of Lio Convoy's Maximals vs Galvatron's Predacons & Majin Zarak. It culminates with a team up with Optimus Primal.
    3. "Beast Wars Metals"; Japanese dub of the Season 2 episode 'Bad Spark.'
    So the film very deliberately ties BWII in with the Canadian series. 2/3 of the film is actually dubbed material from the Canadian show, the original Japanese part only constitutes 1/3 of the entire film!

Quote Originally Posted by tinyJazz View Post
    how is that "ruined"? Are you sure you didn't mean "improved"?
    It doesn't hurt when Airazor's male voice happens to sound like this.
    It came to be as a complete surprise. BW came out in Japan later than in the US and I had already started reading about the characters before online. So I was expecting Airazor to be female and I remember seeing the "Next episode preview" the week before, which showed Airazor (but without the voice), and I got all pumped. I even walked around telling all my friends that there was going to be a new female Transformer airing in the next episode for a whole week. Then when the episode aired I was all excited... and Airazor opened her mouth and she was a he!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post

He doesn't even get upgraded like Rodimus does when he takes ownership. Prime's just... Prime, just as Alpha built him in "War Dawn".
    :
    I always thought that the reason Optimus never got "upgraded" when he took possession of The Matrix, was because Alpha Trion specifically built him to be a leader - and hence built him specifically to carry it. Hot Rod was just a normal Autobot, hence why he became "upgraded"

But that theory doesn't really work for Magnus

I was about the argue that Ultra Magnus never successfully unleashed the power of the Matrix, hence he was never transformed by it. But Minimus Ambus^Optimus Prime opened the Matrix at the end of Season 3 which covered the Earth and eradicated the Hate Plague, and he didn't change so... there goes that theory.

The only continuity in the G1 cartoon is "sell this toy this week".
    We have a winner.

Prime's internals get x-rayed in "A Prime Problem" and there isn't a hint of the Matrix. Fast Forward 12 months and all of a sudden we're expected to believe this uber-awesome cosmic megabomb has been part of Prime all along.
    Someone needs to make a parody where Optimus Prime's chest is opened and they find the two decayed corpses of Diaclone pilots.

Prime also addresses Trailbreaker as Trailblazer and Spike as Splick in A Prime Problem.
    That made me Moist.

Then there's the live action movies where...
    * Brawl is called Devastator (which could've been corrected in the subtitles for the DVD/BR release, but wasn't)... and Devastator is called Devastator?
    * Scavenger and Rampage are called Wheelbot and Skipjack respectively
    * Michael Bay always calls Scorponok "Scorponox."
    * Scorn is called Spike

Watched the 86 movie with my boys last weekend for the first time in ages. We were still able to recite it word for word... Much to my wife's torture.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

FatalityPitt Guest

I've been re-watching Beast Wars lately, and I recently wondered; how awesome would it be if they did a live-action Beast Wars movie?

I imagine it'd be like the Michael Bay films but with live animals instead of vehicles (or animals that are as realistic as possible, because y'know; working with animals..), "better-looking" robot modes (tbh, some bayformers are ugly), and with less humans (original Beast Wars takes place 300 years in the future, or pre-historic Earth, depending on how you see it).

Sure, it'd be hard to work with the animals, but special effects technology has made leaps and bounds over the last 10 years. Speaking of, it's been 10 years since the first Bayformers movie. It's time they moved onto something more challenging and different.

I think that the CG animals would actually look rather convincing; people can do amazing things with CG creatures these days (e.g. Planet of the Apes, King Kong, Jurassic World etc.). And our brains are more easily fooled than with CG human faces. The only thing is that it would be extremely expensive because it means that every scene where there's a Transformer would have to be CGI, whereas the current movies only need CG Transformers in robot mode, but otherwise they just use actual vehicles when they are in alt mode. And the Transformers do spend a lot of time in alt mode in the films during certain scenes - often to save money. They will often have part or all of a Transformer's transformation obscured or done off-screen to cut on costs too. Bay admitted this in one scene in the first movie where we hear Bumblebee transforming only to cut to a shot of him in vehicle mode with a few panels sliding into place. In the DVD audio commentary Bay admits that this was a cheat to give the illusion that Bumblebee had transformed but without actually animating his transformation. I suppose the main way to get around this is to do what the Beast Wars TV series did, and that is to limit the Transformers to a small ensemble cast rather than having armies. This should make it easier for the story to be more character-focused.

But please not Bay. Even if it were set in prehistoric Earth, I know that he'd find a way to stuff it up. Chak and Una would become the main protagonists, with Una looking underage but scantily clad in cavemen clothes... guh. And he'd have them doing all sorts of inappropriate things in beast mode (remember that he had vehicular-moded Transformers doing inappropriate things in robot mode!)

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    It's time they moved onto something more challenging and different.
    They won't even move onto something basically decent. I recently took my daughter to watch Ballerina - a kid's movie. There's not much in it for adults, but as a children's movie it was pretty decent. It had a straightforward narrative that didn't derail or stall itself, character-driven story and interesting social morals, both obvious and well hidden (one of which none of the critics have even picked up in the reviews that I've read; that's how subtle it is). I reckon the upcoming Peppa Pig movie will have a more solid story than The Last Knight.

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I think that the CG animals would actually look rather convincing; people can do amazing things with CG creatures these days (e.g. Planet of the Apes, King Kong, Jurassic World etc.).
    Now that you mention those movies, I take back my comment where I say "it'd look like the Michael Bay movies". Actually, it should look more like this (but without the kid.. not that I have anything against kids.. EDIT: Also with more robots, because otherwise it wouldn't be Transformers.)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    But please not Bay. Even if it were set in prehistoric Earth, I know that he'd find a way to stuff it up. Chak and Una would become the main protagonists, with Una looking underage but scantily clad in cavemen clothes... guh. And he'd have them doing all sorts of inappropriate things in beast mode (remember that he had vehicular-moded Transformers doing inappropriate things in robot mode!)
    Oh God no. Not Bay. His movies are part of the reason I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm a TF fan in public. I try not to say anything too harsh about the LA films because some fans on this site might actually enjoy them, but I'm not one of them (I've not seen Age of Extinction). However I don't know if we'll see a non-Bay-directed TF movie anytime soon. He once said AOE would be his last, then he went on to do Last Knight.
    Last edited by FatalityPitt; 25th January 2017 at 11:41 PM.

Another thing with a photorealistic Beast Wars movie is scale. Here are some size comparisons between different animals compared to a human:
    human vs gorilla (Optimus Primal)
    human vs cheetah (Cheetor)
    human vs velociraptor (Dinobot)
    human vs wasp (Waspinator)
    human and tarantula (Tarantulas)
    human vs pteranodon (Terrorsaur)
    human vs tyrannosaurus rex (Megatron)
    etc.

Imagine all of these animals - in realistic 1:1 scale - fighting each other. And their robot modes would be scaled to the beast modes, so .....

I imagine a BW movie would have robot modes like BW metals.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose