Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: MP38 Supreme Commander Convoy (Optimus Primal).

Its an awesome nod to the original toy but its defiantly NOT better then the first one nor should it be considered a MASTER PIECE!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Replied here.
    In Beast Wars II, Optimus Primal is called the "Legendary General Commander", and the character acts as such in the episode.

In Beast Wars, Optimus Primal is new to the post of commander.

In Beast Wars II, Optimus Primal has the ability to turn into Burning Convoy.

In Beast Wars, Optimus Primal does not have this ability.

In Beast Wars II, Optimus Primal has an Energon Matrix in his chest.

In Beast Wars, Optimus Primal does not.

They are not the same character. I'm genuinely surprised I have to explain this to you in such explicit detail.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    A need to milk the mold perhaps, g2 bumblebee was all they could get out of the bumblebee mold as a mainline release whilst sideswipe...dunno guess they thought mister gimace looked cool enough to milk the mold some more despite ALL of the other uses (red alert, anime+, clampdown, tigertrack), least he was a decent package and was worth it personally unlike g2 bumblebee.

(g2 starscream and ramjet when?)
    They could have done Goldbug, with maybe a hood that attaches to his upper back rather than a spare tyre. I couldn't justify buying a MP G2 Bbee but I may have shelled out for a Goldbug.

As for BWII, I have them on my harddrive- about the worst TF cartoon ever from what I remember though I'm sure it has its fans.

The listing is up on TakaraTomy Mall

Here's a rough translation: (note "Legendary Generall Commander" has been changed to "Supreme Commander" and "Convoy (Beast Wars)" to "Optimus Primal".

Transformers Masterpiece MP-38 Optimus Primal Supreme Commander Ver.

Price : ¥12,960
    Item No. : 4904810877523
    Manufacturer : TakaraTomy
    Brand : Transformers
    Target Age : 15 years old+
    Points Earned : 120 points
    Package Size : W240×H240×D85mm
    Battery : LR44 button battery x2 (sold separately)
    Release Date : 2017-06 Late

※Left of photo MP-32 Optimus Primal is sold separately

Beast Wars II Movie Edition "Lioconvoy Crisis!" featured an appearance of supreme commander "Optimus Primal"!!

Recalling the black body of the original toy, newly modelled optional equipment parts are included with this "Second" version!!

Based on MP-32 Optimus Primal, matte black coloured fur and skin sections produce a profoundly different feeling to this deco.

Originally pictured in the toy versions box art, the connected handle Double Blade has been newly added. An offensive 2-way skull type hammer can be equipped as either a club mace or a "ball-and-chain" flail, with metal chain. Light-piping allows the hidden wild beast mask face to, even when being worn, emit light from its eyes (batteries not included). This new equipment can be connected to both sides of a weapon rack that mounts on the back. Fully equipped with new weapons and a berserker fury, let's summon supreme commander Optimus Primal now.

Contents:
    Optimus Primal body (1), Cyber-Blade (2), Double Blade (1), Hammer (1), Beast Mask (1), Weapon Rack (1), Replacement Face (Robot Mask) (1), Replacement Face (Beast-Scream) (1), Face (Robot-Normal) (1), Face (Beast-Normal) (1), Character Card (1), Instruction Manual (1)

nb. Primal's original "Skull-and-chain" is neither a club nor a flail nor a morningstar nor a mace. There is no contemporary evidence that the traditional "Ball-and-Chain" was ever even used as a weapon anywhere, appearing only in collections and on coats of arms. This "Hammer" can have the Skull clipped directly onto the Handle for use as a Mace or be separated on its chain for use as a Flail.
    'The Spark's Willing, but the Metal's Fatigued'
    Ghost of Starscream

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    In Beast Wars II, Optimus Primal is called the "Legendary General Commander", and the character acts as such in the episode. [SNIP]
    Replied here, since this discussion has moved beyond discussing this MP redeco I'd rather not derail this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Replied here, since this discussion has moved beyond discussing this MP redeco I'd rather not derail this thread.
    This...

"We never saw the inside of Season 1 Optimus Primal's chest. I'm not saying that Larry DiTillio or Bob Forward ever intended for Optimus Primal to have a Matrix in his chest, but the presence of one in the BWII movie does not contradict the Canadian series."

... is the poorest kind of argument to make. You should really be ashamed of yourself.

Optimus Primal, in the Beast Wars II episode, is essentially Optimus Prime (Convoy) in a gorilla suit.

Optimus Primal, in the Beast Wars TV show, is just a commander.

I'm done with this, Gok.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post

Optimus Primal, in the Beast Wars II episode, is essentially Optimus Prime (Convoy) in a gorilla suit.
    Bwah haha! I love the idea of that!

"Hey mates, look at me! I'm bloody Optimus Primal - monkey, monkey, monkey!"

Sorry, I know you two are having a serious debate, I'll bugger off now.

And no, I don't know why I made Optimus Prime sound like Outback - blame Pratchett's 'The Last Continent'

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Bwah haha! I love the idea of that!
    That was actually how Beast Wars started before the TV show came along. The Maximals and Predacons were actually the Autobots and Decepticons upgraded with beast modes, and this is reflected in the early tech specs bios and pack-in comic. It was Mainframe Entertainment who later decided to throw this idea out the window and created the idea of establishing the Maximals and Predacons as the great descendants of the Autobots and Decepticons, not the Autobots and Decepticons themselves, and start the story in the far future (only to travel to the prehistoric past #wibblywobbly). Hasbro/Kenner wrote the tech spec bios later to be more aligned with the cartoon continuity, and in fact, the cartoon writers were able to have some influence on the way that some tech spec bios were written in order to collaborate with ideas that they had for the show, and indeed Mainframe's writer(s) (probably Larry DiTillio) occasionally collaborated with Hasbro in terms of character bios so that they would match up with what they had planned for the show.

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    They could have done Goldbug, with maybe a hood that attaches to his upper back rather than a spare tyre. I couldn't justify buying a MP G2 Bbee but I may have shelled out for a Goldbug.

As for BWII, I have them on my harddrive- about the worst TF cartoon ever from what I remember though I'm sure it has its fans.
    Why yes that would be nice, what with a blue head and all, maybe they didn't because the actual toy is different, not sure what the japanese take was with the little throttle bots fiction wise

BW2 was much like super god masterforce for me, quite japanese-y, maybe too much for my taste, mind you I had a poorly dubbed copy so I enjoyed that chore even less

As for the on going discussion with gotimusprime and verno about what optimus primal is...

I honestly think BOTH of you are correct.

They are meant to be the same character, in the same universe, however takara in japan wrote beast wars differently, remember airazor was a man and were writing on the fly until tigertron and airazor kissed and ruined their little bromance they had going on.

But this would also mean g1 convoy and g1 optimus prime are also different characters, we know the japanese headmasters were VERY different to what we westerners got.

Which would be a good thing too, didn't like what the japanese did to their g1 arcee but we'd be going further down the track if we discussed that

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    They are meant to be the same character, in the same universe, however takara in japan wrote beast wars differently, remember airazor was a man and were writing on the fly until tigertron and airazor kissed and ruined their little bromance they had going on.
    how is that "ruined"? Are you sure you didn't mean "improved"?
    "The Decepticons keep bad company - each other!" - Jazz, G2