Page 723 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 703713718719720721722723724725726727728733743 ... LastLast
Results 7,221 to 7,230 of 10408

Thread: Transformers questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

With all the MP Grimlock reissues, is there anything unique i.e. stamping, that identifies the production run?
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Good idea, I'll check hobby shops. But I don't think that sandpaper would work well on my glass shelves
    Probably not, keep in mind that it's just sitting there, you're figures aren't doing the running man (at least while you're looking), but I think it would work a lot better on wood.
    Hobby shops have a lot of thin micro fine materials for environment building that you might be able to repurpose. maybe
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

What are some figures that have the "Bludgeon effect"? Where the toy becomes high demand after the fact because of popular fiction?

Obviously Bludgeon. Razorbeast from Beast Wars. G1 Ironfist is one I just found out about too.

Any others?

I don't know if I'd put Bludgeon in the same league as Ironfist and Razorbeast, as he was already a prominent character in G1 while the toy was still current. Furman loved taking lesser known current toys and using them in his stories (e.g. Wreckers)... part of the reason was to avoid conflicting w/ Budiansky's stories. Razorbeast and Ironfist on the other hand are toys that become popular years/decades after the toys came out and sorta retrospectively became more popular.

Anyway, others may include Rotorstorm and Pyro. Sunstorm also became popular some time after the eHobby toy came out. Arguably Acid Storm too -- the original Deluxe figure was a massive peg warmer, but the MP seemed to have sold out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by davieanix View Post
    What are some figures that have the "Bludgeon effect"? Where the toy becomes high demand after the fact because of popular fiction?

Obviously Bludgeon. Razorbeast from Beast Wars. G1 Ironfist is one I just found out about too.

Any others?
    I'd put G1 Krok up there with Bludgeon. I don't collect G1 at all, but damn did I wanted a G1 Krok after reading the 80's run of comics!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Anyway, others may include Rotorstorm and Pyro. Sunstorm also became popular some time after the eHobby toy came out. Arguably Acid Storm too -- the original Deluxe figure was a massive peg warmer, but the MP seemed to have sold out quickly.
    That seemed like a riskier move on Hasbro's part, but I suppose most Seeker-moulds end up being such a viable cash-cow for them to milk from after the nth repurposing.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by davieanix View Post

Any others?
    I'm not sure that's an easy question anymore, since almost every single G1 character who gets 'featured' in comics today hasn't been on the shelf for a couple of decades. E.g. Brainstorm, Rotorstorm, Overlord, Krok, Misfire, Guzzle, etc. So it can be hard to determine how much is the vintage factor and how much is the character's popularity in fiction. If you want to call it the 'Bludgeon Effect' then Thunderwing and Nightbeat would be in the same boat.

^ You could add G1 Ratbat to that list as well. About 10 years ago he was selling for $80-$100 US. The price has obviously come down since with the release of the Encore and KO.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    That seemed like a riskier move on Hasbro's part, but I suppose most Seeker-moulds end up being such a viable cash-cow for them to milk from after the nth repurposing.
    Yup, the joys of redecos. A relatively inexpensive way to make money out of a mould that's already in existence. But I don't mind this at all as redecos do help to keep the cost of toys down in general; just so long as the redecos are thoughtfully done. Repainting Starscream as other Seekers is cool -- retooling/repainting Prowl as Bluestreak and Smokescreen also works etc. What I don't like are the 'meaningless' or random repaints.

I would imagine the "Bludgeon effect" would more relate to toys that don't have an important function/rank/bio gets given centre-stage treatment... similar to toys that have leadership functions, or, just big massive toys that Hasbro demands comics & cartoons to feature, just to sell the potential loss-inducing shelfwarmer.

That particular definition will help narrow down a list of candidates, that at the time of their toy's release, would have been an unlikely choice of playing centre-stage in the comics & cartoons, based on the toy's bio or size.
    The first season of the cartoon allowed for a fair bit of character-centred episodes, but in general we had, 1984 Bumblebee used a fair bit in the comic and cartoon... for someone who was just a minibot and a function of espionage.
    Blaster got a fair bit of attention, but was a large toy, so doesn't count.
    Wheelie was featured in the 1986 movie, and in the JP Headmasters series, but was just a minibot, so does count.
    Ratbat got a lot of attention in the comics as a leader, despite being just a cheap cassette, and a function of fuel scout and rank of 6... so counts.
    Bludgeon was a Furman favourite, and a leader for most of his comic life, but was just a small-scale pretender, with a function of Electric Warrior and rank of 6.
    Beast Wars Rattrap & Terrorsaur - the BW cartoon had a limited cast because of the huge cost at that time for a fully CGI cartoon, so it was odd to have it promoting two of the cheapest toys, when there were other more expensive toys that should have been prioritised (Polar Claw & Buzzsaw). The cost and (spring-loaded) gimmick of the Basics would have sold themselves, so why include those two?
    Airrazor was a Basic too, but would have been included because it was the only flying Maximal toy, which opened up more story potential... but Rattrap and Terrorsaur would never have been popular toys if it weren't for the cartoon, because they weren't anything special.
    From the Transmetals, Fuzors & Transmetal 2 years, almost every large-size toy was included in the Beast Wars cartoon. Quickstrike was the only other Basic included, but possibly because it was the best looking Predacon Fuzor, to help sell Fuzor toys.
    In Beast Machines, the toys that were Voyager or larger were all in the Cartoon, and the few Basics in the cartoon had larger toy versions released.... which essentially followed on in every toyline after that (small cheaper options of large in-show toys).
    Yellow characters seem to be a popular choice in TFs cartoons, most likely for standing out visually, to stick in the minds of the kids and sell the line through association.

Cult figures exist as well, like Dispensor, Erector, Cannonball... but as noted by others, they are usually after the toyline is over, and the characters spawn future homages based on their cult-fan status.

What other small, insignificant toys were given star status in cartoons and comics, to prompt people here to buy them... toys that would otherwise be ignored if it wasn't for their significant role?

Also Carnivac, Swoop, Ratchet, Skids, Whirl, Swindle, Kup, and almost all of the 1985-86 Triple-Changers.