Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: Stores selling Transformers in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm
    Ah vending machines, greatest technological breakthrough ever ha-ha. Is it true that you can get almost anything out of a vending machine in Japan?
    Some oddities I've seen are:
    + Hot coffee. Sounds inoffensive but think about it - it's boiling hot coffee in a METAL can. Ouchies!!
    + Condoms
    + 5L cans of beer

There are also convenience stores (コンビに) all over the place which are always open (unlike some in Australia which _close_ after late hours )

As Goki, and Saintly have said Kyoto is pretty good for historic and cultural sites, some of the worlds best gardens, not to mention the Golden Pagoda. I'd consider avoiding going on a weekend though, the amount of tourists both foreign and local was crazy.

As far as castles go I recommend Himeji Castle in the small city of Himeji it literally dominates the landscape and is the largest remaining intact castle I believe, and national treasure to boot.

Another place I recommend visiting for cultural or nature sightseeing (though a little further afield from Osaka and Tokyo) is Miyajima. A small island near Hiroshima and home to the Itsukushima shrine which looks like it is floating during high tide, as well as an incredibly beautiful national park, filled with almost tame deer who will try to eat your map. A cable cart goes up the mountain which has an amazing view of the inland sea, as well as many monkeys and yet more deer.

The Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji) in Kyoto... well it can be done during the weekends but make sure you go there early, ie. 8am, no later than 9am.

I went to Kinkakuji after 9AM. Didn't have any probs (I nearly typed probes )

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    As far as castles go I recommend Himeji Castle in the small city of Himeji it literally dominates the landscape and is the largest remaining intact castle I believe, and national treasure to boot.
    I would definitely recommend Himeji Castle. During my round the world trip a couple of years back I ended up in Japan twice (long story) and both times I visited that wonderful place.

Curiously enough at both times I regretted not having time visiting the museum. All because I spent the while wandering about, soaking in the magic.

I like castles; it's a legitimate sickness.

I never visited any castles. Actually I never visited that many touristy places at all. *sigh* That's what happens when you're living in Japan as a full time student and you're trying to collect Transformers at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintly View Post
    We visited Hakone/Lake Ashi for a couple of days when we went there. A nice area if you want to see Mt Fuji (from afar).

Kyoto is beautiful as well (streets are organised like Melbourne CBD). If you do visit Kyoto, stop by the Arashiyama area.

In terms of old castle, I think Nijo Castle in Kyoto retains a far bit (ie. not allow to use flash photography)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintly View Post
    The Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji) in Kyoto... well it can be done during the weekends but make sure you go there early, ie. 8am, no later than 9am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    As Goki, and Saintly have said Kyoto is pretty good for historic and cultural sites, some of the worlds best gardens, not to mention the Golden Pagoda. I'd consider avoiding going on a weekend though, the amount of tourists both foreign and local was crazy.

Another place I recommend visiting for cultural or nature sightseeing (though a little further afield from Osaka and Tokyo) is Miyajima. A small island near Hiroshima and home to the Itsukushima shrine which looks like it is floating during high tide, as well as an incredibly beautiful national park, filled with almost tame deer who will try to eat your map. A cable cart goes up the mountain which has an amazing view of the inland sea, as well as many monkeys and yet more deer.
    we'll probably check out the kinkakuji in Kyoto and maybe a few other cultural areas around Kyoto while we're in Tokyo

We were considering spending a few days in hiroshima in between osaka and tokyo, now i think we might go with it and visit miyajima while we're there, it sounds like a nice place to see

Quote Originally Posted by snazzbot 101 View Post
    I would definitely recommend Himeji Castle. During my round the world trip a couple of years back I ended up in Japan twice (long story) and both times I visited that wonderful place.

Curiously enough at both times I regretted not having time visiting the museum. All because I spent the while wandering about, soaking in the magic.

I like castles; it's a legitimate sickness.
    we might check out Himeji Castle too, we want to see and do as much as possible (while also buying as much stuff as possible)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    + Hot coffee. Sounds inoffensive but think about it - it's boiling hot coffee in a METAL can. Ouchies!!
    + Condoms
    + 5L cans of beer

There are also convenience stores (コンビに) all over the place which are always open (unlike some in Australia which _close_ after late hours )
    Those are odd! I'm gonna stay on the lookout while we're over there and see what strange vending machines i can find haha

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post

we might check out Himeji Castle too, we want to see and do as much as possible (while also buying as much stuff as possible)
    That's doable,most stores in Japan are open till 8:00, a few seemed to stay open till 10:00 even. So you can sight see by day and shop at night. That's what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post

Those are odd! I'm gonna stay on the lookout while we're over there and see what strange vending machines i can find haha
    I found the vending machines very convenient for basic stuff like water. there literally everywhere and cheaper than the convenience stores.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    + Condoms
    + 5L cans of beer

We have condom vending machines here, but their hidden away from the public in the mens room of pubs and clubs. I think is saw one or two Beer vending machines over there though, now that's an oddity by Australian standards. A beer vending machine in Australia would be asking for trouble.

Like the Simpsons episode where Homer get's his arm trapped in a vending machine.
    Fireman: "Homer are you just holding on to the can"
    Homer: "Your point being?"

Yeah but I saw a condom vending machine on a public road outside an AM/PM 24h convenience store! It was disguised as a cigarette vending machine, but everyone knew what was really inside.

I only saw this on TV - vending machines with panties in it. guess if anyone needed a spare panty in case they soiled themselves heheheh of course does that mean only womenfolk soil themselves?
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]