Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 717222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast

Thread: Revenge of the Fallen Toys comments/discussion

Quote Originally Posted by griffin
    Was a bit disappointed that The Fallen didn't come with a spear like he has in the Movie. Maybe it's like TF1 Optimus having Swords at the last minute and was too late for Hasbro to include in their toy.
    I suspect the same. Oh well, I'll just have to scab another spear from some other toy and give it to The Fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin
    Fallen doesn't even have any weapons/missiles... what the heck is supposed to give him a rating of infinity/unknown for firepower? It doesn't even say in the bio where this firepower comes from.
    You know...

...that's right: his spear can expel energy like Dino Force's melee weapons in Victory.

I opened up my Long Haul last night and I've been drinking the Long Haul flavored Kool Aid since!

Great alt mode:

As Stompy said, there's some kibble visible here with the torso and hands, but the only bit I consider as kibble is the hands. The rest just seems like part of the massive machinery that would sit underneath such a massive dump truck.

The mech alive gimmick are pistons in the robot mode's upper arms which is very well executed, and made even better by the fact it's also used in the alt mode for the raising of the bed.

Stompy, regarding the bed not clipping into the back, it does for me. There are two pieces that clip. I suspect you got the first right shown here:

But the next bit, which is the bed, you have to slide the connector down between the back of the robot's head and its back, and when you do, the peg and hole of the bed line up:

The last folding bit of the bed does not clip to anything, but that folds out of the way nicely.

Regarding pegs, tabs and holes, there is a defining place for every bit of this conversion, and I love that! Everything clicks into place with certainty, and everything has a place to be put. It makes for a very solid alt mode.

As Stompy said, articulation is in all the right places. The leg rotator cuff is well above the knee (unlike Classics seekers or Jetfire) giving much more natural poses. The feet and heels rotate together allowing great balance in any position, and the knees are double jointed. The only bit of articulation I'd like is wrist rotator cuffs, as without them, many of the positions of the hands are unnatural.

I was initially disappointed by the initial pics I'd seen as the position of the double tires seem a bit suspended in the air over the shoulders, and I find this is unfortunately the case. Otherwise, the accuracy is really quite good.

Excuse the bad screenshots:

The planks on the side of his arms are accurate, the part of the bed coming over his head is quite accurate, it's pretty impressive how well HasTak nailed this one. However, I don't think the overall hulking presence was achieved. His legs are too long and he seems to be missing the necessary bulk.

His default transformation is as such:

I find that by twising the wheels back and flipping out the sides of the dump truck bed on the arms, it adds a bit more bulk. So while reducing accuracy, I feel it improves the general feel of the character:

On this note, the inclusion of swords seems ridiculous. How could such a big lumbering thing be of any use armed with swords. This guy should have something more boorish, like a hammer or BFG.

Lastly the head:

When looking at it on the toy, it looks quite Predator-like. After seeing the movie a couple times in the cinema and a few more times on ghetto-vision, that just wasn't how I was seeing it. I prefer to think of the chin as the mouthpiece to avoid seeing the Predator likeness.

All in all, I'm a big fan. It's my favorite ROTF Voyager yet, and 2nd only to Leader Prime.

Long Haul is pure awesome!

Thanks for the hint on lining up his back, jay.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

This toy is win! It's challenging enough to be fun but not frustrating - and the end result is rewarding. For the first time in ages I actually feel that this toy was actually _worth_ its hefty Voyager price tag!

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc
    On this note, the inclusion of swords seems ridiculous. How could such a big lumbering thing be of any use armed with swords.
    It's absolutely possible. Do you know how heavy a knight was when fully equipped with mail and plate armour?! Yet they still had to wield around various melee weapons such as swords, spears, shields etc. with sufficient speed and dexterity!

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc
    This guy should have something more boorish, like a hammer or BFG.
    Warhammers are good for impact damage whereas blades are superior in terms of penetration. Guns aren't melee weapons so there's no comparison there - although having a huge gun _would_ explain his Fireblast of 9!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    On this note, the inclusion of swords seems ridiculous. How could such a big lumbering thing be of any use armed with swords. This guy should have something more boorish, like a hammer or BFG.
    What do the swords look like?

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I got Movie Soundwave yesterday. What a terrible toy!

The G1 toy despite its age is inmensely better and has greater play value and arguably possability as every pose doesn't make him look like a gorilla in robes.

In my oppinion movie Soundwave is certainly the second worse Soundwave toy ever with Nappywave (titanium) being the worse but not by a far.

Music label Soundwave is god next to the piece of crap Movie Soundwave - How dissapointing - I expected a mediocre toy but not this bad.
    Don't say I didn't warn you.

He's easily my second least favourte ROTF toy, Ravage is number one FAILURE though. The gorilla shaped bot just does not look soundwave even if the Satellite mode is sorta accurate. Rampage despite his flaws and wierd bot mode easily kicks Soundwaves metal backside.

I don't think he is the second worst Soundwave toy, Cybertron Soundwave is at least as crap if not crapper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle
    What do the swords look like?
    They're basically hook swords. They're a rare weapon in martial arts and there's a good reason for it -- they're bloody hard to use!! We have them in Seven Star Mantis, but there are very, very few people who bother to train with them! Most practitioners who choose to do weapons training opt for the regular Chinese long sword or 2 metre pole. Great for mounted cavalry though.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    They're basically hook swords. They're a rare weapon in martial arts and there's a good reason for it -- they're bloody hard to use!! We have them in Seven Star Mantis, but there are very, very few people who bother to train with them! Most practitioners who choose to do weapons training opt for the regular Chinese long sword or 2 metre pole. Great for mounted cavalry though.
    I havent seen his weapon either but hook swords are dangerous, just watching someone use them is terrifying, the linking and stuff...

He just doesn't look the type that would use them I think he would lack the agility.

Great pictures and review jay. Thanks for pointing out the tabs and pegs for the dump bed in bot mode. I was too hasty with my play with the figure. He certainly is awesome and I agree about the head. I'm not keen on the dweeby looking insect like predator mouth. It just doesn't suit the boorish look of the figure. A large mouth piece would have given him a much more menacing look.

I didn't like the wheels facing back on his shoulders. I like the movie way with them pointing up,but as you mentioned there's a gap from his shoulders to the tires and gives it a suspended look.

The weapons are an odd choice, a set of claws is what I would have liked personally. But this Voyager is a winner.

Yeah, I didn't know about the dump bed thing until jay pointed it out - so kudos. I also really like how this toy has pistons on the elbows like Masterpiece Convoy!

Quote Originally Posted by TF76
    I havent seen his weapon either but hook swords are dangerous, just watching someone use them is terrifying, the linking and stuff...

He just doesn't look the type that would use them I think he would lack the agility.
    Looks can be deceiving. Like I said, an armoured soldier (knight, samurai etc.) are _very_ heavily weighted, yet they can move with very impressive speed and dexterity. And as I also mentioned before, hook swords were effectively used by mounted cavalry, as they were an excellent way of decapitating unmounted opponents as you ride past them.

Some twin hook-sword videos:
    Six Harmony Boxing
    Bagua
    Taichi - sticking application

And for anyone who cares less for actual technique and just wants something showy and fancy (but probably useless in a real fight) to watch:
    Hook swords vs. spear
    Hook sword demo