Thread: Paper windscreen for SS86 damaged Ironhide/Ratchet

Default Paper windscreen for SS86 damaged Ironhide/Ratchet

I made a non-permanent windscreen for Studio Series 86 battle damaged Ironhide (and another for yet-to-be obtained Ratchet). I wanted to keep him in vehicle mode, since the SS86 normal Ironhide has no yellow stripe in vehicle mode.

1. Using normal paper, I placed it on the windscreen and rubbed pencil over the borders to mark the outline.
    2. I cut this out and placed it over the windscreen. I trimmed it closer to the right shape and size.
    3. When it wasn't right, I used that prototype as a template for another piece. After repeating the process, I got the piece of paper the right size and shape. The corners were trimmed without needing to mark them and the notch for the wiper I marked with pencil and cut that out. I used a pair of fine scissors.
    4. I spray painted it light blue.
    5. I cut a piece of scrap spongy foam to fit the blast effect hole and cut it to the right height, then put a small piece of double-sided sticky tape on the foam with it sitting in the hole. This allowed me to attach the foam to the paper at the correct location - lining up the paper to the windscreen.

Now Ironhide can join the party!

You could use a bit of blue tack on the edges of the paper windscreen so that it doesn't have as much of a gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
    You could use a bit of blue tack on the edges of the paper windscreen so that it doesn't have as much of a gap.
    Yeah, I thought about using something sticky but I'm leaving damaged Ironhide in vehicle mode for a while so I didn't want to one day find the finish had been marred. The windscreen is curved so you have to slightly bend the corners/edges of the paper with your fingers to get a more snug fit. There's also the battle damage gouged out bit from the plastic near the wiper that you can't do much about.

Anyway, seen on the shelf, overall it looks pretty good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    Yeah, I thought about using something sticky but I'm leaving damaged Ironhide in vehicle mode for a while so I didn't want to one day find the finish had been marred. The windscreen is curved so you have to slightly bend the corners/edges of the paper with your fingers to get a more snug fit. There's also the battle damage gouged out bit from the plastic near the wiper that you can't do much about.

Anyway, seen on the shelf, overall it looks pretty good for me.
    Well it definitely has improved the alt mode, and looks much better on the shelf.