• Only if cheap

1 25.00%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - OPTIMUS PRIME (Studio Series 86)

Default Toy Review - OPTIMUS PRIME (Studio Series 86)

OPTIMUS PRIME
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Studio Series 86
    Hypo-line - The Transformers The Movie
    Size/class - Commander
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 2
    Released here - August 2024
    Approximate Retail Price - $180
    Approximate Size - 18.5cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Freightliner FL86 truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks - it's Optimus Prime
    Main Colours - bleu, blanc, rouge
    Main Accessories - Matrix of Leadership, Trailer/Combat Deck, blast effects parts, Energon Axe, Ion Blaster, rifle Roller

A truly magnificent toy that's a much cheaper and more fun-to-play with version of MP Convoy 3.0. This toy even has articulated fingers and knuckles, which is something rarely seen outside of Masterpiece. The smoke stacks rotate for no apparent reason; possibly for safety reasons and to make it naturally move out of the way during transformation to reduce chances of breakage. Mine are a bit loose bit a few squirts of Fix-Loose-Joints-Action-Figure (or clear polish) should fix that. It's an interesting alternative to having rubbery plastic which some collectors don't like.

Similar to MP Convoy III, SS86 Optimus Prime's robot mode parts are mostly concealed in truck mode. Only the arms, roof, feet and some parts of the legs are visible in truck mode. Obviously at a Commander Class price point it's not going to be as insane as its MP counterpart; but the upside is a relatively easier and faster transformation. This is a CHUG figure, after all.

Now having said all that, $180 is $30 above the RRP for a Commander Class figure, but also consider that Leader Class Earthrise/Kingdom Optimus Prime was $100 with a smaller and far simpler robot and trailer, no Roller. Other Commanders like Rodimus Prime and Motormaster don't have anywhere near this level of design sophistication. This toy is effectively a simplified form of MP Convoy III at nearly a quarter of the price. Is this toy worth getting at $180 or should you wait until it's discounted to $150? I pre-ordered this toy from The Gamesmen, and it's already sold out on-line. Later restocks may make this toy easier to find, I don't know. I do think this toy is worth paying for, especially if you don't want to miss out. But if you're perfectly happy with your Earthdom Optimus Prime, then you're already good.

P.S.: The biggest flaw on this toy is the gap on the back of the truck roof.

It's not a huge deal for me. EarthDom Optimus Prime has an even bigger gap (but is less noticeable when you put the gun there). For a non-MP toy I think that this is fine, but it is a technical flaw that's worth noting. The wipers are also unpainted, but that's a deliberate design choice as they're unpainted on the cartoon model. Even MP Convoy III has unpainted wipers. So this isn't a flaw (any more than deliberately not having painted stripes on the truck cab). Here's Optimus Prime's animation model for reference.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 11th August 2024 at 07:36 PM.

i find that this release is excellent

i

It's recently come to light that the heels on this toy have been misassembled (upside down). And yes, mine has been affected.
    https://www.seibertron.com/transform...ed-toes/48308/
    It doesn't affect the functionality of the toy at all, and given that these are the back heels, it's not something that you would ordinarily see either, so it doesn't bother me massively (but admittedly somewhat). The heels are pinned in, so it's not easy to fix, and there have been reports of people damaging the plastic in removing/replacing those pins, so I'm personally not going to risk trying to fix what is a fairly inconsequential cosmetic error.

Also note that I did miss one step in transforming my toy to truck mode in my photos; I'd forgotten to flip the panels behind the front wheels to change the colour from blue to red. I can't be bothered taking new photos, so here is a stock photo of Optimus Prime in his correctly transformed truck mode.

Interestingly, while the correct transformation is accurate to the animation model etc, the 'incorrect' way you had it is actually pretty accurate to how a lot of older COE trucks actually looked - the upper cab shell often sits high and 'hooks' around the front.

Are you missing a piece from on your Optimus? There is a flap attached to the underside of the red rotating piece the head is attached to that covers the gap in truck mode. You can see the tabs that hold it in place in the area you have circled on the truck mode.

Quote Originally Posted by KingGrimlock View Post
    Are you missing a piece from on your Optimus? There is a flap attached to the underside of the red rotating piece the head is attached to that covers the gap in truck mode. You can see the tabs that hold it in place in the area you have circled on the truck mode.
    Mea culpa; that's another mistransformation on my part.

Here are new pics with the truck mode now (hopefully) transformed correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    Interestingly, while the correct transformation is accurate to the animation model etc, the 'incorrect' way you had it is actually pretty accurate to how a lot of older COE trucks actually looked - the upper cab shell often sits high and 'hooks' around the front.
    It's a strange one for me. I love cartoon accurate modern Transformers. If I wanted to buy something that was toy accurate I'd buy the orginal toy or a reissue. But also, as someone that has put well over 1200 hours into Euro Truck Sim 2 and loves trucks, I'm left feeling that the "incorrect" transformation looks right, not the correct transformation.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.