• Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

1 50.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

1 50.00%

Thread: Toy Review - SHOCKWAVE (Comic Edition)

Default Toy Review - SHOCKWAVE (Comic Edition)

SHOCKWAVE
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Comic Edition
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - Repaint of Siege Shockwave
    Wave - 1
    Released here - June 2024
    Approximate Retail Price - $55
    Approximate Size - 15.7cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Spaceship^Astro Magnum pistol
    Main Features/Gimmicks - comic inspired colours, light piping
    Main Colours - lavender with black accents
    Main Accessories - Optimus Prime's head^the Creation Matrix, harness/stand

NOTE: Refer to the Siege Shockwave review thread for comments about the original mould. This review thread will focus on differences made.

I personally got this toy (as a gift) for the Creation Matrix, as the comic coloured Shockwave doesn't appeal to me. As much as the Marvel comics are my favourite source of G1 media, I'm not a fan of the Marvel US comic colouring. Firstly because I don't think that Nel Yomtov was that great a colourist, but also because American comic books used this cheap form of printing that gave us limited grainy colours - very different from the print/colour quality on the Marvel UK comics. Nothing against this toy per se; its purpose is to emulate the Marvel US colours and it does that job quite well. It's just that the Marvel US colouring is something that doesn't appeal to me. It'd be different if this toy had been based on the iconic issue 5 cover art by Mark Bright, which is also on the front of the box, but it's not.

Cover art for issue 11, which is when Shockwave discovers that the Matrix is no longer in Prime's head and Buster learns how to use the Matrix. This was my favourite issue in '85. I also discovered what bean bags were when I first read this at a friend's house.

Nel Yomtov's infamous colouring anomalies strike again with a green Bluestreak, but also a rare canonical appearance of red Bumblebee!

Front cover of the box. I would've preferred for the toy to be coloured more like this, but then again, it would probably look too similar to Siege Shockwave.

Inside of the box. I've only removed the Prime head and stand; left Shockers still tied down. Hence why no loose or alt mode images.

The Matrix!

"Buster" discovers Optimus Prime's head (okay, it's Spike, but only because a Buster Witwicky toy has yet to be made)

OVERALL: If you're the kind of person who really digs seeing these Marvel US colours on toys, then this Shockwave may appeal to you. I don't think it's worth buying otherwise just for the Prime head and stand (even if it is finally an accessory based on the Matrix's first appearance!). For this reason I've voted on "Only if...". I will also give it credit for finally ditching all those spaceship accessories from Siege Shockwave and bringing the price down to a Voyager instead of Leader Class. This mould was always a great Voyager but underwhelming Leader.

I'm guilty of ordering this just to strip off the 'comic colouring' because i want a lighter purple shockwave

Glad comic fans are getting something, though every other release in this line seems to be better than this one

Only Shockwave I have is the TRA one (which we all know is great). I passed on the Seige one due to size & price (in hindsight I admit that may have been a mistake).
    So I thought I'd grab this Comic Edition redeco to fill the gap. Sure its G1 Shockwave, and looks great. The deco, the gorgeous box, and Optimus head are fantastic throw-backs to that original comic I had as a kid. This release meets the brief perfectly.

But standing on my desk between Legacy Jhiaxus and Seige Optimus, I feel the figure/mold itself is a bit underwhelming. Good looking, but unsubstantial.

Easy pass if you're not into the comic-shading look or have the Seige version.
    However, if you're like me, and have no G1 'wave in your collection - the box (a keeper) and the Optimus head help make the RRP easier to accept, but maybe wait for a sale.
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.

Yeah, I bought the wrong Shockwave. SS110 Shockwave is better.
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.

This the first figure I've got with a shading effect and I was quite impressed with how well it works. Granted I've not taken it out of the box yet... but I think it's a nice touch and a nice effect and maybe is pinging the comic reader part of my brain.