View Poll Results: Which is your most dominant language other than English?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chinese

21 27.27%
  • Greek

3 3.90%
  • Hungarian

0 0%
  • Italian

5 6.49%
  • Japanese

5 6.49%
  • Maltese

1 1.30%
  • Spanish

4 5.19%
  • Tagalog

7 9.09%
  • Other

19 24.68%
  • I like machine language (none)

12 15.58%
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: What language (other than English) do you speak?

There's a meme that keeps doing the rounds claiming that in an old Marvel comic book, Iron Man tells Captain America that he needs some "solid (Richard)" from him and that this is an archaic English expression for "straight talk."

This is complete rubbish.

#themoreyouknow

Came across this video of Mark Zuckerberg speaking Chinese. Of course the irony here is that Facebook is banned in China.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Came across this video of Mark Zuckerberg speaking Chinese. Of course the irony here is that Facebook is banned in China.

Google is too, but I think that has more to do with revenue not being paid where it should be, something other nations should look at imho.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Trying to develop a unit of work for a Year 8 German immersive class, but I've hit a brick wall on two words. I need help from anyone who can speak German better than me (which isn't hard, because I don't speak German -- I only have an extremely basic level of knowledge) The teacher who will be delivering this lesson is a fluent speaker, but because I initially developed this lesson in Japanese, I've modified it for German. My colleague is in the process of correcting my lousy Google translations, but even she got stumped on these two words, so let's see if anyone here can help.

1: "Push." Imagine a Transformer toy standing on your shelf. The toy is pushing down on the shelf, thanks to its weight. The shelf, bearing the weight of this toy, is similarly pushing up. What is the most appropriate German translation for this word or concept? I initially thought of using the word "drücken," but my colleague said that this means push as in someone actively shoving someone or something, whereas the concept we're looking at is more passive. The other word that we thought of was "schieben," but this is push as in pressing something, like pressing a stamp or pressing letters onto paper (e.g. printing press). Still feels to active for what we're looking for.

2: "Inertia." I initially went with Trägheit, but my colleague said that this means to be inactive or lethargic, which is pretty much what inert means. And indeed, the word 'inertia' is Latin for inactivity or indolence. But I suspect that this may very well be the German word for inertia. The German Wikipedia page calls it Trägheit, and to be fair, Wikipedia can be pretty reliable on common knowledge (it tends to suck more on lesser known or more obscure topics).

Help?

Continued from here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire in the sky View Post
    Obviously on a mate to mate level there Don't worry their e-mail to me to say the item was cancelled started with Dear Minh, and yet strangely I have no Vietnamese heritage whatsoever and it's not my F-ing NAME!!!
    The weird thing I find about that form of address is how they've used his surname, but failed to have a title in front of it, like "Mr." I can't tell if they're trying to be formal or informal.

Mind you, I find that this is an increasingly popular trend. There are some medical centres that I've been too where they refer to doctors as "Dr. [given name]." Okay, if you want to address someone as "Doctor," then it needs to be attached to their surname. If you want to be more buddy-buddy and refer to them by their given name, then dispense with the title of "Doctor." If there's a Dr. Curt Connors, then either call him "Curt" or "Doctor Connors." Calling him "Doctor Curt" just sounds stupid (IMHO).

Imagine if students started doing that with their teachers. If there's a teacher called Mr. John Citizen, you'd either call him "John" (as tertiary students would), or "Mr. Citizen" (as school students would). Who would call him "Mr. John"?!?

And every Australian Karate Dojo that I've been too commits an even greater word crime. So if there's an instructor called "Daniel Larusso," they call him "Sensei Daniel." This is wrong on two levels:
    1/ Japanese titles come after the name, never before it. This is why Mr. Miyagi always called Daniel "Daniel-san," and not "San-Daniel"!
    2/ Just as in English, honorific titles are only meant to be used with surnames, not given names. So it should be "Larusso-Sensei," not "Daniel-Sensei," and never "Sensei Daniel" or "Sensei Larusso." This would be the equivalent of saying, "Daniel Mister" in English.
    This wanton linguistic butchering just waxes me off!

This is a typical conversation that occurs when I visit some medical centres...
    "Which doctors are available today?"
    "You can see Doctor Curt, Doctor John or Doctor Daniel."
    "I'll see Doctor Larusso please."
    "Doctor Daniel?"
    "Yes, Doctor Larusso please."

To me, I prefer referring to Doctors by their title with surname as it's a form of respect. But I don't object to people referring to Doctors by their first name either -- Australia is an egalitarian society after all. But if you're going to do that, then just refer to them by their given name. I don't see the point of trying to show respect by using the title on one hand, but then trying to be egalitarian by using their given name on the other. Either use one form of address or the other. As Master Yoda (or just "Yoda") would say, "Do or do not. There is no try."

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Mind you, I find that this is an increasingly popular trend. There are some medical centres that I've been too where they refer to doctors as "Dr. [given name]." Okay, if you want to address someone as "Doctor," then it needs to be attached to their surname. If you want to be more buddy-buddy and refer to them by their given name, then dispense with the title of "Doctor." If there's a Dr. Curt Connors, then either call him "Curt" or "Doctor Connors." Calling him "Doctor Curt" just sounds stupid (IMHO).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlmECL2ED2I

Yu Ming is Ainm Dom; a brilliant short film which I would strongly recommend to anyone with Irish heritage. It also stars the late Frank Kelly as "Old Paddy."

A humorous video showing an American English, Japanese, Korean and Chinese speaker attempting to pronounce the same set of words. The Chinese words are especially hilarious (to me anyway ).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jMddKVDwUU

https://www.facebook.com/daebbuing/v...4028325037488/
    ^This is an excellent video which makes an excellent point about people living overseas who seem to fail at acquiring the local language due to a lack of effort or even refusal to want to learn. This guy (Dave) makes an excellent point. No matter what country you live in, people should make an EFFORT to speak the local language. It also baffles me when I meet people who've lived in Japan for longer than I did and are unable to sustain a conversation in Japanese. I lived in Japan for only 10 months, yet in that limited time, I was able to acquire enough Japanese to allow me to hold conversations (as well as teach, translate and transmit the language). But it never ceases to amaze me when I come across people who've lived in Japan for over a year --- years --- who are unable to really speak Japanese.

And I encountered a lot of these people when I was living in Japan, including one person from Australia who arrived in Japan the same time as me and another Aussie (there were 3 of us on the same exchange programme). Two of us became fluent in Japanese while one did not because she kept on speaking English all the time, while the other bloke and I deliberately avoided using English and maximised our usage of Japanese. We even spoke to each other and other Anglophones in Japanese, except this one girl because she refused to, and when we tried to speak to her in Japanese she said, "Why are you guys speaking in Japanese?" and told us to speak to her in English.