View Poll Results: Who should be the new Prime?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arcee

10 15.87%
  • Hound

10 15.87%
  • Megatron

4 6.35%
  • Optimus Primal

8 12.70%
  • Shockwave

6 9.52%
  • Star Saber

9 14.29%
  • Thunderwing

3 4.76%
  • Ultra Magnus

7 11.11%
  • Unknown Evil

6 9.52%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Fan Vote for new leader in the Power of the Primes series

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    But why vote for the others?
    Because I want a full S1 BW cast of Generations figures.

We've got three. Eleven to go.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

FatalityPitt Guest

But why vote for the others?
    To build hype. Nothing builds hype like a big change to the status quo, and letting the fans be part of the decision making process.

I have zero interest in Titans Return Optimus Prime and Megatron. None of these toys seem to offer anything substantial which Reveal the Shield G2 Optimus Prime and Combiner Wars Megatron don't already (relative to their different price/size classes).
    I use to feel this way about Optimus Prime toys in general, and use wonder "why do they keep giving us Optimus Primes?" Then I started to realise; every child and Transformer collector needs an Optimus Prime in their collection, ergo; there must be at least one Optimus Prime toy in every toy store at all times!

Optimus Prime is not only the Autobot leader, but he's the main hero and the face of Transformers. He's a pop culture icon. To Transformers; Optimus Prime is what Mickey Mouse is to Disney. Optimus Prime is Transformers, and Transformers is Life. Therefore, No Optimus Prime = No life!

Are you buying your first Transformer? Did you think you could just buy Highbrow only, and assign Highbrow as your main Autobot Hero? BLASPHEMY! Only Optimus Prime can be the main hero, nobody else!

Just kidding (the last 2 paragraphs are meant to be read in a joking tone).. But you see where I'm coming from right? Optimus prime can't be simply replaced.

Even though they're going to be passing the leadership mantle onto someone else, I don't think it's going to last forever. It's going to find it's way back to Optimus Prime eventually. In most entertainment franchises, big changes to the status quote rarely stick.

Take Marvel's Captain America for example. Steve Rogers has been Captain America since the 1940s, and there have been numerous attempts to replace him, but somehow; the Captain America name always went back to Steve Rogers.

Also, this isn't the first time an entertainment company has let the fandom vote on a change to the status quo.

FYI - Spoiler: Jason Todd is still alive and kicking.

But as far as Hasbro's concerned, out of the characters offered here Deszaras seems to make the most sense. He is the only character who's never had a modern toy made of him. I would like to see Hasbro release as many G1 characters as CHUGUR figures as possible before revisiting characters that they've already done all over again. Because I'm unlikely to purchase any redone characters (just as I'm planning on entirely skipping TR Optimus Prime and Megs), but I'll jump at the chance to get a new character-toy!
    I also believe Deathsaurus should be getting a new toy. My speculation, in full, is that the Unknown Evil will most likely win (also likely to be Deathsaurus), and there will be a new toy representing that character, But after launching the toy and selling enough units, they'll probably kill of the character in the IDW comics and give the Matrix to someone else. If that someone else is Optimus Primal, it gives HasTak an opportunity to relaunch Beast Wars. But years later, after the BW-fad dies down, the Matrix will probably go back to Optimus Prime.

The real reason why they pump out so many Optimus Prime and Megatron toys is to preserve the trademarks on their names. But they're always overkilling it. You don't have to have half a dozen Optimi and Megatrons each year to protect the trademark, you only really need one once every couple of years to make sure that it doesn't expire due to lack of usage. Like say Shockwave... don't need to have 3 Shockwaves a year to maintain the trademark. Nope.

And Transformers is really an ensemble cast - it's a toyline, not an action hero story franchise. We've had years when there were no Optimus or Megatron toys, namely 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990 & 1992. And yet the franchise didn't implode during those years!

Get ready voters, some time soon (February 1st, American time), the second round of voting begins until February 4th, from the four finalists - Ultra Magnus, Optimus Primal, Star Saber, and Unknown Evil/Deathsaurus.

If that direct link doesn't work, find the voting page on the main Generations page.

This link is good as well:

http://transformers.com/vote

Voting is underway once again.

VOTE 1 PRIMAL!

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...

Oh yeah! Optimus Primal!

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    Oh yeah! Optimus Primal!
    Congrats Verno but I am disappointed Was really hoping for Deathsaurus. Oh well fingers crossed they decide to make him anyway.

sigh. whatever.