View Poll Results: TR Chromedome - worth buying?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 84.21%
  • Only if...

2 10.53%
  • No

1 5.26%
  • Not interested

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return Deluxe Chromedome

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Toy Review - Titans Return Deluxe Chromedome

Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Titans Return
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - Re-used engineering from the CW Dead End mold
    Wave - 1
    Released here - September 2016

I don't read the IDW comics that much as I'm very particular about the art style I like, no matter how good the story is. But I guess this allows me to assess the toy solely based on its merits.

CAR MODE:

I love the car mode. Streetwise took Dead End's smooth Ferrari lines and made a hard-edged Gallardo-esque car out of it. And Chromedome took it even further. It is very futuristic looking yet still keeps some of the 80's retro feel to it. Whoever did the concept design for this should go do industrial design for a car company. I may be among the minority but just as on Wheelie, I really like the translucent wheels. They add to the Season 3 space/Sci-Fi motif.

The now-standard big gun/TM turret mounts on top of the canopy. It's a shame that Chromedome didn't come with his signature double laser pistols though. His small gun is the same as Blurr's molded in red. And the TM Stylor uses the same mold as Blurr's with a different face stuck on the back (which I forgot to take photo of).

The interior is reasonably detailed.

TRANSFORMATION
    He re-uses the core engineering of the CW Dead End mold. I haven't compared Chromedome and Dead End or any of his remolds side by side, but from memory there's not a single part that's the same. As much as I hated the excessive re-molding/re-shelling in Combiner Wars, this is a very clever use of the engineering to even accommodate the TM gimmick.

TITAN MASTER
    As mentioned before, Stylor is a re-deco of Hyperfire, with a new face.

BOT MODE

A very strong robot mode. People may have preference on the head sculpt but to me this is close enough to the Rebirth animation model. All the necessary colors/paint apps are present.

Same as Dead End, there's virtually no back kibble.

Poseability is your average Combiner Wars level. The lower legs provide good stability which we don't see often enough on TR Deluxes.

Mine came with a left fist not cured properly in the mold. It misses some of the geared area so the left fist doesn't lock in place nor can it ratchet. Unsure if it's a wide spread QC issue though.

OVERALL

Both modes are strong. Definitely worth picking up.

Nice photos, still waiting on my order of this guy, but liking the look. Not exactly IDW/MTMTE look, but the I've got the TFCC Chromedome for that. This guy will be plonked right next to the rest of the TR figures on my shelves.

It's an ugly arse car but I can't remember the last time I had a pleasure of transforming such a solid car mode. The tolerances are all spot on and the transformation design ensures all panels are locked down, nothing is floppy or easily deformable. I am thoroughly impressed!

Downside is that of all the figures released so far it appears to be the most unfinished in terms of paint apps. Not sure what's with the transparent wheels either.

I ended up buying two chromedomes from kmart while they are on special. That way I keep one in car mode and the one in robot mode gets to have two red guns like the original.

I cannot even FIND this guy in stores, and I searched about half a dozen Kmarts and Big Ws yesterday. If anyone has recently found one (or any other of his casemates) in Sydney, please post on the NSW sightings thread!

The comparison to a Combiner Wars deluxe car has turned me right off this figure.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    New/remould/redeco - Re-used engineering from the CW Dead End mould
    This article points out in painstaking detail how Chromedome is not a redeco of Dead End.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    This article points out in painstaking detail how Chromedome is not a redeco of Dead End.
    if you look at the moulding on blur and chromedome, specifically the upper legs its the same parts just in different colours. one of the guns are identical just again different colours

Quote Originally Posted by Autobot1995 View Post
    if you look at the moulding on blur and chromedome, specifically the upper legs its the same parts just in different colours. one of the guns are identical just again different colours
    That doesn't bother me at all. Both Chromedome and Blurr end up as totally distinct bots and vehicles, so a few minor parts shares is all good. Also, if a bit of mould-sharing helps HasTak spread the budget over more characters, I'm perfectly ok with that.

As for my thoughts on Domey, I like him. Took the basics from the best of the two CW sedans, and improved on them, adding actual feet, a bumper/bonnet section that folds in to the body much better, a moving canopy for the Titanmaster, and due to the TM, much better head articulation

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I didn't say re-deco, re-used engineering rather. Was just following the format.

And I didn't need to read that painstakingly long article to figure out Chromedome is not a repaint