Page 18 of 152 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232838 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football (all sorts) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    I am thankful that Tuiaki finally realised he's bigger then 99% of anyone else on the field and can run over them.
    Fixed that up for you Bobby!

The Tigers game was a great game, the sort of game you would happily show a non-league supporter to show them all about the game. Refs weren't too horrendous for a change either.

Loved the Canberra no-try from the scrum, I know it's illegal, but damn it looked good. it's a worry that Parra can only play 15 minutes of football and still manage to beat Canberra, the Raiders should improve as injured players return.

Was not expecting the broncos to steamroll the Warriors, and while I still think both the Warriors and Cowboys to make the eight, the games this week showed them how much more they have to improve to keep up with the Broncos, and the Storm.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

LOL thanks Scott I'd like to see Tuiaki and Vatuvei collide at high speed and see who comes out on top.

The Broncos really impressed with their win over the Warriors. They look like the only real serious contender so far. Everyone else is too hot and cold.

I told my Mum (who is a mad Parra supporter) that after Saturday night I'm going to tape the Eels vs Sharks game incase I ever suffer from insomnia because that would be a sure fire way to put me to sleep
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    I told my Mum (who is a mad Parra supporter) that after Saturday night I'm going to tape the Eels vs Sharks game incase I ever suffer from insomnia because that would be a sure fire way to put me to sleep
    The way the two teams have been playing, could be the first 0-0 overtime game, or the first game where all points come from penalties and field goals...

Panthers upsetting Manly... Panthers should have 2 wins for the season now.
    How crap are Manly going?(not that I mind) they could not hold the ball in the first half, they gave the Panthers 6 or 7 sets of six in a row. Doing that against anyone else, even the Sharks would have hurt them bad, lucky for them the Panthers have no real attacking skills from only 10 metres out.

Can't say I'm unhappy that Manly have lost 3 in a row... Kangas and Storm won on the weekend, woohoo

North Melbourne-bot...?

Im just happy that the Broncos and the Titans won - when it seemed the others were favourites!

Can someone please explain to me why Brett Stewart wasn't deregistered like Greg Bird? Both have been charged with horrible crimes and both cases are still open so why de-register one and not the other?

(Yes I am ranting about this after Stewart scored 3 tries against the Tigers...No this is not the reason I am complaining about this...much)

As is often the case in sexual assault claims, the evidence is hearsay (ie one person's word against another). In Bird's case there was physical evidence, along with third party evidence (his mate admitting he would take the fall), and the fact that the Bird essentially admitted it.

While Stewart may be guilty as Bird, it would be harder for the NRL to deregister him without a legal challenge being brought against them, since the deregistration is based on hearsay.

I would expect (and hope) that in the event of Stewart being found guilty that the NRL would deregister him promptly.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

I assume they would but in Bird's case there is no acuser. remember his girlfriend denied he did it.

Where as I believe in innocent until proven guilty I think with role models (athletes, actors, whatever) these people should not be allowed to carry on with their career until the case is resolved. I hate to play Devil's Advocate but what if Stewart is guilty? What about all these games he has played in the interim? What sort of message does that send?

I think this is a case of "The Silvertails" being one of the clubs that own the NRL and as such get special treatment.

The statements given by Bird and his mate who tried to cover it up make the case for deregistering Bird a lot stronger. There's no doubt that he has lied to police - the inconsistencies alone count heavily against him.

On the other hand, Stewart's denials are a lot tighter. Bird would have a hard time in getting a court to rule restraint of trade (or whatever), whereas Stewart would have a much easier time.

I agree with your point about the games played in the interim, but I'm not sure the NRL could argue that in court.

Looking at the longer term - and you comment about special treatment - the NRL should be throwing the book at the Sea Eagles for the entire saga. Aside from the fact that the club stupidly stood right behind the player rather than detaching itself from his actions (which caused a lot of PR damage to the NRL and itself), the club created the opportunity for its players to get very drunk in public in the first place.

The NRL - and certain clubs - need to get the yobbish culture out of the professional athletes. Newcastle's action against Dane Tilse was commendable (and, to be fair, so is Tilse's redemption), and set a good early precedent. By sacking Tilse, Newcastle sent the right message to the player. Manly's actions are sending the wrong messages to their players.

As long as the questionable actions of players continues, the media will continue to hype up the bad news stories to sell papers. For all the Manly fans who are backing Stewart publicly there'll be mothers who are not taking little Johnny to the NRL games/Saturday footy in disgust.

The NRL should be really having a go at Manly for the pissup in the first place. Whether or not Stewart is guilty, Manly created the situation and their reputation - along with that of the NRL - is tarnished. The shadow of Coffs Harbour still hangs over the Bulldogs, but Manly don't seem to have taken heed of that. Sadly, neither has the NRL in it's weak response. Sure, the fine was fairly hefty - but a points deduction would hurt more, and would scare the **** out of other clubs.

Some clubs are learning - Cronulla, Easts, Canberra, Brisbane and (thankfully) finally Canterbury have realised that no player is worth more than the community standing of the club and the game, and have punished players in the recent past.

The clubs such as Manly that choose not to see this should be punished by the NRL for the damage they cause. The bias for me is not that Stewart isn't deregistered, but that Manly haven't been made to pay for their public pissup.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

I agree with Dirge, the case against Bird was twofold, (assault and the lying) and it was fairly obvious he did do it.
    Stewart is innocent until proven guilty. If found guilty, the NRL will ban Stewart quick smart for such a horrible crime, hopefully Stewart will also go away for a long long time (doubt it).

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    Some clubs are learning - Cronulla, Easts, Canberra, Brisbane and (thankfully) finally Canterbury have realised that no player is worth more than the community standing of the club and the game, and have punished players in the recent past.
    It's amazing what a sweep out of the top level board and a change of coach can do, I hated Canterbury with a passion for years for what they did to the game, but this season I am happy to support them in games, they have really turned around in such a short period after festering for years. Melbourne deserve a special mention for their actions against players who have behaved badly.

Some good games on this weekend, I just wish that the teams would settle on their form, it's a tipping nightmare if you go for who "should" win! really disappointed in the Tigers and Cowboys performances thus far.