Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152030 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece Optimus Primal

Agreed. The beast feet look really awful and I still don't like the upper arm covers. It's too much like the original toy.

Quote Originally Posted by VGMStudios View Post
    Agreed. The beast feet look really awful and I still don't like the upper arm covers. It's too much like the original toy.
    I don't own the original so don't really have much perspective on this, but can you elaborate on what you were expecting this to be? Given the animation model was built off the toy and this is built off the animation model, they are bound to be very similar. It can hardly be expected that the leap between the original toy and this be comparable to G1 Prime and MP-10.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I sorta feel the same in that a Masterpiece gives us a more detailed and complex toy that is closer to the cartoon/comic, but as people are saying, the original Optimus Primal toy was already well detailed and just like the show... so it feels a bit wasted taking up an expensive Masterpiece spot when they could have done Megatron, who wasn't animated exactly like the toy (arms, legs, torso, wings) to need a more show-accurate toy... and it could have then come with a bonus rubber ducky that some fans have always wanted.... yeeeessss.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I sorta feel the same in that a Masterpiece gives us a more detailed and complex toy that is closer to the cartoon/comic, but as people are saying, the original Optimus Primal toy was already well detailed and just like the show... so it feels a bit wasted taking up an expensive Masterpiece spot when they could have done Megatron, who wasn't animated exactly like the toy (arms, legs, torso, wings) to need a more show-accurate toy... and it could have then come with a bonus rubber ducky that some fans have always wanted.... yeeeessss.
    Now that would have been amazing! @@

Only problem is that they figure OP (and they are probably right) would sell more than Megs would and was probably a lot easier and cheaper to do as a Masterpiece given what they were working with. Megs would have been a real challenge.

I prefer my original BW OP to the Masterpiece. It just shows how cutting edge it was for it's time and 20 years down the track it still is amazing. I'll still buy the Masterpiece though...

It's incredible to me that even though Primal comes with two swords, blasters in each wrist and shoulder cannons, Takara thought he could do with some more elements so added swappable faces and lights!

If we see more BW MPs in the future, could lights be a feature of them? Have lights been seen before in MPs?

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    Have lights been seen before in MPs?
    MP-1 Convoy (Matrix chamber)
    MP Megatron (fusion cannon)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    MP-1 Convoy (Matrix chamber)
    MP Megatron (fusion cannon)
    Pls don't forget my favorite Grimlock

Not widely used by any means then. That's some illustrious company for Primal.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

I want MP Inferno and I'll be all over it. Though like Primal, not alot to improve on. Still, I wants him lol

The original Optimus Primal was one of (if not the single) best toy from the original BW line, so it's pretty hard to beat. I guess this is what happens when you try to 'update' toys that were well ahead of their time. I imagine that they'd face similar issues if they ever made an MP G2 Laser Optimus Prime; other than a few changes here and there, there's not really a whole lot you could do to improve that design.

Having said that, it looks like TakaraTOMY have done a fair job in trying to improve this design. And while I understand that there are certainly other BW characters that could do with an "MP Upgrade" more urgently than Optimus Primal, I guess that Primal is the 'safe' character to do first, cos ya know... he's an Optimus. After all, G1 MP started with Optimus Prime. Hopefully if this toy sells well enough, it might prompt TakaraTOMY to make more. But again, I can't imagine any BW TF being as vastly improved with becoming an MP as G1s are, because all the BW toys were just so well made. I'd personally rather spend my money on G1 MPs which I personally consider in more dire need of updating.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoldj View Post
    Pls don't forget my favorite Grimlock
    I knew I'd forgotten someone!