Page 57 of 195 FirstFirst ... 374752535455565758596061626777 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Transformers Thoughts Thread

G2 did have a weak start for reasons that you mentioned, but some of the later G2 toys were actually really good. I often say that Beast Wars popularised and standardised a lot of contemporary standards in Transformers toys today (e.g. articulated robot modes), but it was really Middle to Late G2 that pioneered these things.

The poor cartoon didn't help, but even if the cartoon were good it may not have been enough to save G2. After all, the G1 cartoon was more faithful to the general aesthetics of the toys but it failed during Middle G1 (and the Japanese anime series barely scraped into Late G1). But ultimately a good toy line will sell itself, even if the show is terrible or even non-existent. Robots in Disguise (2001) is a good example of this. Those toys hit shelves here months before the show aired, but the toys immediately flew off shelves. And the RiD2001 cartoon wasn't the greatest; it was good for its target audience, which was clearly a very young audience, but it held little appeal to anyone over the age of 10. But everyone still loved the toys, including adult collectors! And we know that this line inspired Takara to create Binaltech and Masterpiece. I mean, does anyone really care that Speedbreaker has a weird fetish for red sports cars, or do they care more about the fact that he's a really great looking licensed Dodge Viper that transforms into a detailed and articulated robot? I'd say that people care more about the toy than the character.

Both G1 and BW came out before their respective shows aired, and those lines still sold really well prior to the support of the show. Initial G1 sales hit the US$1.4 million mark (US$3.2 million or or AU$4.5 million by today's standards). While G2 was a practically dead toy line by the mid-1990s, when BW came out, Transformers climbed to being the third top selling action figure line in the US (after Toy Story and Star Wars). So by the time their cartoon series came out, these toy lines were already selling strongly. The best story-telling in the world won't sell a bad toy. Supreme Cheetor is a good example of this. BM Cheetor was actually one of the better (I'd say best) written characters in the TV show. He went on a very clear and logical journey as a character, which he had begun in Beast Wars, and matured in Beast Machines. It was actually really good. But boy did Supreme Cheetor supremely suck as a toy. That figure shelfwarmed for yeeeaaars, especially at TRU who refused to discount the sucker. G1 Hubcap on the other hand was a popular toy despite having ZERO appearance in media (cartoon, comics etc.), yet toys like Warpath and Wheelie were pegwarmers (I personally like Warpath, but yeah, he was never a hard toy to find in stores!. Kup appeared prominently in the cartoon and comics, yet he was the worst shelfwarmer in 1986. It was either Target or Grace Bros who discounted Kup to $5 just to move dead stock (and my mother literally bought a trolley-full of Kups which became gift-fodder for all relos and friends for the next year... every birthday and that Xmas... here, have a Kup - I ended up having two Kups for myself because we ended up with a surplus Kup! I put the Autobot logo on the chest of the spare Kup to make it more media-accurate while the other only had it on his legs to maintain toy accuracy ).

Yes, the G2 comics were violent... but that wouldn't have turned kids off. Remember that Robocop had merchandise marketed at kids in the late 80s and 90s. Unthinkable these days! Also, the G1 comics were violent too. #1's cover shows Optimus Prime crushing a jet in his right hand! If that's a Decepticon, then he's dead... the very first page which shows a battle on Cybertron also shows a generic Autobot crushing a Decepticon in his hand. And while the G1 cartoon never showed any fatalities until the 1986 Movie, the G1 comics showed fatalities from quite early on. The comics always ensured that the Cybertronian war was always portrayed as a consequential war. So this level of violence was nothing new to G2. And don't forget that a lot of Transformers fans who were kids during G1 were now teenagers during G2. Yes, it was important for G2 to attract new kids into the franchise, but you didn't want to isolate the original fans either. This is another area where BW succeeded.

Speaking of which, BW was an incredibly violent show (just ask Waspinator) and yet it proved popular with audiences. TF Prime also killed off Cliffjumper within the first episode, and the re-death of Zombiejumper was pretty gruesome. Transformers has always been able to get away with higher levels of violence because the characters are robots. You can show machines being blown up, just not people or animals. But the concern was there from the beginning. In its native Canada, the BW cartoon was actually called "Beasties" because censors didn't want the word "Wars" in a kids' cartoon. So I guess the Star Wars cartoons must be called Starries there.

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    ... It was either Target or Grace Bros who discounted Kup to $5 just to move dead stock (and my mother literally bought a trolley-full of Kups which became gift-fodder for all relos and friends for the next year... every birthday and that Xmas... here, have a Kup - I ended up having two Kups for myself because we ended up with a surplus Kup! I put the Autobot logo on the chest of the spare Kup to make it more media-accurate while the other only had it on his legs to maintain toy accuracy ).
    Wow, if you still had some of those Kups mint-in-box, you could probably sell them on eBay for $500 each... But then we'd be stooping down to scalper territory..

... Yes, the G2 comics were violent... but that wouldn't have turned kids off. Remember that Robocop had merchandise marketed at kids in the late 80s and 90s. Unthinkable these days!
    I was about 7 when Robocop 3 came out. I also remember a classmate of mine talking about it. At the time it sounded cool, but in retrospect, you wonder how a 7 or 8 year-old manage to be allowed into the cinema. Then again, this was Malaysia in the Early-1990's, and it would've been heavily censored. The uber-violent movies and comics weren't the only Robocop fiction available as there was also a kid-friendly animated series. It was sooo campy. There were also other watered-down kid-friendly cartoons based on other R-rated films like Rambo and Conan the Barbarian.

... Speaking of which, BW was an incredibly violent show (just ask Waspinator) and yet it proved popular with audiences. TF Prime also killed off Cliffjumper within the first episode, and the re-death of Zombiejumper was pretty gruesome. Transformers has always been able to get away with higher levels of violence because the characters are robots. You can show machines being blown up, just not people or animals. But the concern was there from the beginning. In its native Canada, the BW cartoon was actually called "Beasties" because censors didn't want the word "Wars" in a kids' cartoon. So I guess the Star Wars cartoons must be called Starries there.
    Thing about cartoons compared to comics is that cartoons are brightly coloured and stylised, whereas comics (well at least in G2) tended to have quite a dark and forboding aesthetic. I think the bright colours and stylisation in cartoons often masks the violence that normally wouldn't be acceptable in other contexts (AS LONG AS THERE'S NO BLOOD). But you're right about the violence against robots being relatively acceptable; if Cliffjumper in TF Prime were human, and they showed him being impaled and made into a zombie, and there was blood (not energon); there'd be parental outrage.. But there wasn't because Cliffjumper was a robot, despite him having had feelings and emotions like a human.

Censorship is weird.

As far as I'm concerned I finally have a full 1984 toyline that appeared in the TV show in CHUG form. I don't count the WFC/FOC toys as G1 since they are really from the Prime universe so with today's LG Soundwave and LG Laserbeak acquisitions I finally have every 1984 toy that appeared in the show in an updated CHUG form.

I think I'm in the same boat there now. There's not many bots featured in the cartoon that I don't have a representation of

Is Outback the only cartoon minibot that doesn't have an official CHUG form? I do not count the HFTD version as it's very movie-esque IMO but to each their own
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Quote Originally Posted by CHILENO20 View Post
    Is Outback the only cartoon minibot that doesn't have an official CHUG form? I do not count the HFTD version as it's very movie-esque IMO but to each their own
    I can't think of any others. But I'm not thinking too straight after I was taking Fort Max down from a high shelf when Cerebros came loose and gave me a decent Liverpool kiss. Them Autobots are meant to be good and noble and stuff.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    I can't think of any others. But I'm not thinking too straight after I was taking Fort Max down from a high shelf when Cerebros came loose and gave me a decent Liverpool kiss. Them Autobots are meant to be good and noble and stuff.
    I'm guessing Cerebros is letting you know he'd rather be in bot form as opposed to a head
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Quote Originally Posted by CHILENO20 View Post
    Is Outback the only cartoon minibot that doesn't have an official CHUG form?
    Arguably also Seaspray and Hubcap.

Sea Spray falls into the same category as RotF Bludgeon in terms of being a toy which is in the live action movie universe according to official canon, but some would argue are part of the Classicsverse according to authorial intent. And also, the 2010 TF line was really about the live action movie universe. 2010 Hubcap was clearly another toy that was intended as part of this movie universe, but appeared in the G1 universe in the Legends mobile phone/device game. Does this mean that this Hubcap is now G1, or has Movieverse Hubcap traversed across dimensions to the G1 Legends universe? Or more likely, did the game makers just slap that character there without really caring about any of this stuff?

It's incredibly confusing. There's yet to be a definitively CHUGUR Seaspray and Hubcap though, just as there isn't a definitive CHUGUR Outback. Cos you could also argue that HftD Fallback is CHUGUR by 'authorial intent,' but official canon says otherwise.

Seaspray is coming in an upcoming wave according to US retailer listings, finally. I doubt if Hasbro do Hubcap he will be mass market since he is too easily confused with Bumblebee. I actually got my G1 Hubcap from an Ebay seller that had him listed as "G1 Bumblebee". But only paid like $10 for him around 2010. The seller had no idea what she had.

Arguably also Seaspray and Hubcap.

Sea Spray falls into the same category as RotF Bludgeon in terms of being a toy which is in the live action movie universe according to official canon, but some would argue are part of the Classicsverse according to authorial intent. And also, the 2010 TF line was really about the live action movie universe.

It's incredibly confusing. There's yet to be a definitively CHUGUR Seaspray and Hubcap though, just as there isn't a definitive CHUGUR Outback. Cos you could also argue that HftD Fallback is CHUGUR by 'authorial intent,' but official canon says otherwise.
    Fallback is a Reveal the Shield figure, IIRC.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust