Page 50 of 195 FirstFirst ... 304045464748495051525354556070 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Transformers Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    In the TR Autobot Breakaway review thread a comment was made that the toy was disappointing due to the lack of Getaway's distinctive shoulder pads, and okay, fair point, but I don't know if I completely agree with this sentiment, and here's why.

Classicsverse isn't about replicating G1 toys with modern day engineering. The toys are distinctly identifiable as their G1 counterparts, but they're not necessarily enslaved to the idea of being G1 accurate. To me, Classicsverse is more like how HasTak would make these characters today using contemporary design/engineering. Masterpiece on the other hand is more about 'translating' G1 toys with a slavish dedication to aesthetic fidelity.

Classicsverse are very immediately identifiable as the character that they're meant to be,
    I haven't read the post you're referring to but I think for a lot of characters, especially lower tier characters, silhouette becomes more important, otherwise it's just generic bot #9.

From your post above:Look again at the Classicsverse/G1 Comparison thread and have a good look at a lot of these toys. Many of them "lack" iconic features of their G1 counterparts. e.g.
    * Classics Optimus Prime has no smoke stacks on his shoulders. Arguably one of the biggest flaws with the toy
    * Mirage's weapons look nothing like the G1 toy's rifle or rocket launcher. but the silhouette of the robot, though comparatively very lanky does represent the original toy and show model very well
    * Grimlock's overall design and transformation is a significant departure from his G1 counterpart. I know that he's not everyone's favourite toy, but I like it. And I like it a lot better than Generations/FoC Grimlock which has a more G1-like appearance and transformation. This one is missing the iconic wings and while having feet that form the head is novel idea (Itoo like this toy a lot) apart from the chest and head this toy doesn't really 'feel' like Grimlock
    * Much of RtS Windcharger's body looks nothing like G1 Windcharger (either the toy or show model), yet it's an arguably better toy than the more G1-accurate looking Combiner Wars Windcharger. For such a low tier character the vehicle mode and head sculpt are what matters and both these toys deliver.
    * Sunstreaker lacks the iconic yellow shoulder pylons and the limbs are totally different.
    * Sideswipe & Red Alert's lower leg appearance and transformation is utterly unlike the G1 figures. I would imagine that the original poster might also find these toys disappointing for that very reason. They are good toys but they don't evoke the character in the same way.
    * Inferno has no ladder or wings. Like prime one of the biggest downfalls of the design. I imagine it also irks the original poster a lot.
    * Boobglide. 'Nuff sed. The toy might not have turned out quite like everyone hoped but the appearance of the robot and the alt modes do strongly evoke the original toy and character.
    * The lower legs on the Nissans are inverted compared to their G1 counterparts. but they still have wings, shoulder missiles and their iconic chest look. in silhouette you would pick the group for sure.
    * Voyager Nerf Megatron looks very different from his G1 self, and just as well because if he were G1 accurate then he'd raise legal issues!
    ...and so on and so on and so on... you get the picture. different discussion

I get what you're saying modern toys don't need to replicate original toys, especially with transformation but when a character is being re-developed to the modern style and design aesthetic, part of the essence of a character is the defining features of the robot that carried over from the alt mode. Or just the robot design. the original toy designers of the 80's line were brilliant at this. Look at the torso design of the original seekers, very well sculpted and that design has carried through ever since.

The point of modernising old toys/characters is to draw on peoples nostalgia, not including iconic elements of the original design loses that and that's when we start to see more and more bots look alike and dare I say it, more like the recent movie designs.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

All the ones you listed, I happen to love. They are a modern take on the characters, not just of the toy of old. I happen to love Sideswipe/Sunstreaker/Red Alert. The fact Prime has doesn't have his iconic stacks doesn't faze me. Again, I love the figure and mold.

I would go on to say the same thing about the rest listed too.

I'm not saying any of those are bad toys, I actually think they're all great, but I can see how someone might be disappointed by the missing features I listed. Imagery is a big part of this hobby.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Ultramarginal you have stolen my reply. I was going to say that although some of the toys mentioned are missing some elements as Goktimus points out, they have enough key elements of the original designs. Classics Optimus might not have smokestacks on his arms, but he has the windshield chest, grill abs and back of truck as legs that are essential to so many Optimus Prime designs. And so on with the other examples, they don't have to have everything but they have enough.

With Breakaway he just has some of Getaway's colours and head sculpt. And there's plenty of repaint/tools with those qualities that aren't enough for many of us. For me when I think of Getaway I think of those shoulder pads and the windscreen on his chest. Breakaway has a knack attempt to make the chest kind of look like a windscreen and doesn't have the pads and that meant I left him on the shelf quite happily.

I came here to make another post but that can wait!

I too can see why some might be disappointed in those figures, I just happen to not be one of those

^Agreed.

And sure, I can understand that a whole new mould for Getaway would've been definitely nicer than a redeco, but we all know why redecos are important. And Chromedome is the only car in Titans Return - they couldn't have used any other existing mould. So there wasn't a whole lot of choice to go with as you do with Combiner Wars. Given what they had to work with, I think that they did a pretty good job. I realise that it's not ideal, but I don't think that it was a complete failure in execution. IMO it's a better approximation of Getaway than say CW Trailbreaker, Ironhide, Prowl etc.

As Paulbot pointed out, Getaway's iconic features are his shoulder pads and windscreen on his chest; while they were unable to do the shoulder pads, they were at least able to do the windscreen chest. I think that Breakaway would've looked better if they added more iconic colours, like the blue forearms/hands (even if it means sacrificing the blue spoiler on the vehicle).

Go-Go-Gadget-Hasty-MSPaint-Job!

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Would Hot Rod served as a better base for redeco?

With some characters losing a signature part to me is enough not to buy them, but for the most part a figures legs don't matter much (unless it's a big part of their design, such as Wheeljack's.)

I really like the Sideswipe/Sunstreaker mould as each character has their signature chest piece, along with the Nissan bros. and their door wings. Never bought the 8 CW Autobots that weren't combiners previously because they lacked key parts of their silhouette, but then as mentioned above, I prefer the RTS Windcharger mould to the CW version hands down as a better figure. I guess I'm a little hypocritical there.

Another figure I think is an excellent upgrade is a Gen Kup. Nothing like his G1 design in alt mode, yet has the right shape chest, head and arms.

There's probably quite a few others on my shelf to mention, if I feel that if a figures got enough of the character it's meant to be, I'm happy. With Breakaway I guess I'll be satisfied as I never had any exposure until MTMTE, so this'll be "good enough."

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    Another figure I think is an excellent upgrade is a Gen Kup. Nothing like his G1 design in alt mode, yet has the right shape chest, head and arms.
    Kup was supposed to be a ute (pickup truck) but Dery's "futuristic" design makes it look pretty unrecognisable as a ute. Generations Kup really gives his alt mode the look that it was always meant to have. And being an "Old Timey" style ute also suits the character well. The little faux windscreen on the top of Kup's chest is an homage of G1 Ironhide (and Ratchet), since those toys have the big windscreens in front of their heads. The reason for this is that Ironhide was originally meant to be the old timer among the Autobots - Ironhide was the one retelling old stories in Season 1 of the cartoon ("Ah remember that time on Cybertron..."). So the idea is that Kup is of a similar or even older vintage as Ironhide (an idea which was originally shown in DW's The War Within where both Ironhide and Kup had windscreens covering their faces (although Ratchet had his on his back, suggesting a different lineage/vintage/wateva )

G1 Kup's alt mode is something that even the original G1 designers at Takara still remember as being a pain in the butt to "translate" as a toy (re: Ono Koujin interview). So I see Generations Kup's alt mode as being the toy that Takara would've wanted to design, but couldn't when they were bound to base the figure off of Dery's design. Liberated from that constraint they were able to make a toy with a superior vehicle mode. And this is something that I can sometimes enjoy about Classicsverse over MPs - the relative creative freedom unbound from being enslaved to G1 likeness. Of course, CHUGUR is still enslaved to some degree as it does need to capture the spirit or essence of the G1 designs. This is why I tend to enjoy new toys that are new/original characters like RiD Strongarm etc. (although they're still held back by being based on animation models, but that's a whole 'nuther discussion )

I haven't been able to find any TR Kickbacks or Sharkticons around my area.
    GGNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWW!