This is a link-in from my reviews thread (which is still in its infancy)... as I mentioned there, I'm most interested in completing an updated roster of G1 characters (i.e. Classics/Universe/Generations lines), and since some of these just aren't made by Hasbro, I've had to rely on 3rd party products for stand-ins. Some of the Hasbro stuff just isn't very good, and since I just got Green Giant, I couldn't resist putting some thoughts down now. To start off with:

MakeToys Wheel Loader (not-Scrapper)

I've fiddling around with these figures a couple of days now and have to say that I really really do like them alot! Wheel Loader is very solid... all the joints are tight, almost too tight at first, and he has enough articulation to be very poseable. Yes, Scrapper did not have a cab on his chest, but I really like the upgrade. The only loose thing was the weapon fit into the fist. Oh, and can't forget the colour - the colour is gorgeous! Problems? Well, articulation on shoulders should have been better (he can't swing them out sideways) and there are no wrist swivels.

With Classics Starscream - everybody has a seeker mold don't they?

I mentioned earlier in the MakeToys thread that I expected smaller size figures in the Giant set, but these guys really are par with deluxe class. He scales very nicely here, and whilst the aesthetic doesn't fit in absolutely seamlessly, I think it does it better than the Hercules guys (which was the main driver behind my choice for Giant).

As an aside, I do wonder why more reviewers don't compare everything to a classics seeker mold, seeing as this is probably the mold that the highest proportion of people will own at least one of (maybe even 100% of collectors??).

Front-end loader mode - yes, that's the proper name for this vehicle

The vehicle mode is very nice. At first look I thought that the engine housing was a little exagerrated and that real-life vehicles don't really have it like that, but after looking at a few real photos, I found I was wrong - they do really look very close to this proportion. The wheels roll, the scoop moves up and down, not much more. It would be improved if there was another joint for the scoop to move separately as opposed to just the whole arm pivoting where it attaches to the body - Hercules does it better in this regard.

Ratings:
Character importance 6/10 - Scrapper is the leader of the Constructicons, but doesn't ever seem to get a huge amount of air time.
Toy 7/10 - Very solid. A few complaints, but nothing major.

Some further thoughts on Green Giant as a whole, following on from comments in the MakeToys thread:
1. I now think the plastic is how it needs to be... there is some compliance and softness, but that character actually serves it very well as some joints in the transformations are quite tight, and the slight softness is needed.
2. I'm enjoying the transformations - clearly not a kids toy, being rather complex and tight alot of the time, but very fun and satisfying.
3. Joints are tight - only loose bits I have found so far are the weapon fit in Scrapper's right hand (as above), and the front left wheel on Long Haul (Dump Truck). That's some high level QC Takara can be satisfied with!