Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printer/Printing thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post
    Thanks a lot, Paul. Yeah, so now Ravage is here watching me constantly. :/

I've owned six Anycubic printers. The last one (Kobra Max) is the only one that didn't have any problems straight out of the box. It's kinda like playing Russian roulette, except five of the chambers are loaded.

Try asking on the Anycubic Facebook group about it. My Anycubic Photon S is still fine after about three years.

The bad thing about resin printers is that the screens don't last that long and will eventually need replacing. This was rather difficult with the Photon S.

Try watching a few YouTube reviews, and realise that using resin printers means dealing with a lot a nasty chemicals. And resin isn't cheap.
    What kind of problems did you encounter with yours? I have a plan to use a hydro tent and an inline fan to deal with the fumes. I've worked with fdm for about 6 years but know resin is a bit different. Id love for someone to create a model of replacement shoulder parts for the 1/60 valks.
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Dkaris View Post
    What kind of problems did you encounter with yours? I have a plan to use a hydro tent and an inline fan to deal with the fumes. I've worked with fdm for about 6 years but know resin is a bit different. Id love for someone to create a model of replacement shoulder parts for the 1/60 valks.
    Out of the two Photon S printers, the first had the LCD screen die after about 80 hours of printing - replacement screen was sent. The second had a problem with the FEP sheet on the basin being loose, which caused prints to fail until the fault was resolved by a helpful facebook group.

Are you referring to the Yamato Valks? I would have thought that Shapeways would have been used by now to upload parts..?
    Last edited by Tober; 10th September 2022 at 08:14 AM.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post
    Out of the two Photon S printers, the first had the LCD screen die after about 80 hours of printing - replacement screen was sent. The second had a problem with the FEP sheet on the basin being loose, which caused prints to fail until the fault was resolved by a helpful facebook group.

Are you referring to the Yamato Valks? I would have thought that Shapeways would have been used by now to upload parts..?
    Thanks. I might look at the elegoo mars 3 instead.
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Dkaris View Post
    Thanks. I might look at the elegoo mars 3 instead.
    If anything Elegoo has really good customer service.

I love 3d printing so much. Here's my Mechwarrior Cauldron Born and classic Timberwolf.

So this is the year I finally buy myself a 3D printer and start playing around with it. What type would you guys recommend? FDM or resin? Total n00b, minimal knowledge.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Speaking generally if you're printing functional objects, stuff that is handled regularly and needs a bit of strength then FDM is what you're after. If you want to print miniatures, statues or highly detailed objects then resin is the better solution. FDM is also generally safer. With resin you have to deal with some seriously nasty stuff and have to use the required PPE.

Cheers. If one of the things I was looking at was replacement parts for TFs, or something like the Lugnut from Sam’s Forge, would they work with Resin or is FDM pretty much the go-to option for that sort of thing?

Those mechs you printed look fantastic. I’m going to guess they were done on a resin printer?

Yes I used a resin printer. I only have 3 points of articulation.

For TF parts its a bit tricky. A lot of resins are pretty brittle though there are engineering resins available. Some people mix a flexible resin with an abs type to make parts more durable. Or use a strong resin for joints and regular abs-like for the rest of the model.

Judging by the chunky size and layer lines I'm guessing the Lugnut is FDM printed.

After doing a bit of looking I think I’ll start with a FDM. Resin seems a more hassle than I’d like to put in at the start at least.

I remember looking at an Ender 3 as a bit of a standard a few years ago but there are probably better options now? Just looking for some places to start.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post

I love 3d printing so much. Here's my Mechwarrior Cauldron Born and classic Timberwolf.

Awesome results! How did you end up approaching the transparent windows? I'm still struggling a lot with printing clear parts, but have had some success.