View Poll Results: Encore Devastator - worth buying?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 43.33%
  • Only if....

10 33.33%
  • No

4 13.33%
  • Not interested in this.

3 10.00%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Encore #20: Devastator Giftset

Decepticon Guest

I've had one for a month now. Can't bear to open it cos it cost sooo much!

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Well, I FINALLY got mine today!
    Did you have yours shipped by SAL?

However, putting the leg connector up Long Haul's jacksie almost gave me a heart attack, it was soooo tough to get in there! And made an extremely solid click once in place properly, now I am concerned as to how to gte it out without ripping Hauly in half...
    Heh, yeah, it's a bit scary - but I've never broken the bit that goes into Long Haul, not even on my old G1 version. But I once snap off the connection that connects Long Haul with Scrapper (fortunately I found another one shortly after) - so I'd recommend caution with that piece. But the one I broke was the one I'd purchased in 1985 - considering that yours is a minty new reissue, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Still, interesting toy, since they come from the Diaclone line and therefore designed in the late 70s (?) quite clever really.
    1982-83.

The connectors were interesting since the earliest I had ever played with were the ones from the Scramble city crew (Menosaur/Superion etc) and so something different.
    In terms of gestalt engineering, I prefer the Scramble gestalts because they aren't as kibble-reliant to form the gestalt robots - and as you can see, they're more solid too (whereas Devastator falls apart if you look at him funny); and of course, the Scramble gestalts have the interchangeable limb gimmick. Having said that, the individual Constructicons themselves are generally better engineered toys than some individual Scramble gestalt robots. None of them suffer from "blockhead" syndrome and they all have distinctly unique designs (unlike say the Aerialbot limbs which all share a common transformation scheme). I also like how the gestalt parts are used as the vehicle modes' weapons, whereas some of the Scramble Gestalts' vehicle weapons are just that - and don't do anything in any other mode (e.g. Protectobots, Stunticons etc.).

They were also more affordable to complete as a set too because they're all carded figures - whereas completing a Scramble gestalt as a kid was a bit harder because the core body-bot was a more expensive boxed figure. The Predacons also many of the same qualities as the Constructicons and are individually better figures and Predaking is far more solid gestalt -- but the Preds were all boxed figures making it _very_ expensive to complete Predaking! My memory's really hazy on this, but I think each individual Constructicon was maybe $9 each? I remember they were expensive for carded toys (but they're also really big - towering over say the cheaper Autobot Mini-Cars), but cheaper than boxed ones.

Nice to look at them in a group as either robot or vehicle, the uniform colours and theme really add some charm.
    I personally prefer the different colours of the original Diaclone set... it's a shame they never released the reissues in the Diaclone colours as an eHobby exclusive or something. Or even G2 colours...

Just slightly annoyed that some plastic is a different green to the rest. For example, Bonecrusher and Scrappper's canopys are a lighter shade of green, almost yellow. As is Scavengers scoop, Hook's Hook and Dev's groin piece (loin cloth? ).
    The original G1s were like that, but it didn't look so bad because the primary green wasn't this bright "lolly green" that they've used for the reissues. It was a more subdued green. The shoddy plastic quality also bugs me on the reissues.

Fore-arm springs are very touchy and powerful! ROOOCCCKKETTTO PUUUNNNCHIII! I might have him fight my Mazinger Z!
    I see your Rocket Punch and raise you a ロケットドリル!! Rocket Drill!

Quote Originally Posted by Decepticon View Post
    Almost all the Encore toys so far have decreased in 'value', so unless you enjoy keeping it in the box or intend to resell it for about the same as you paid, you might as well open it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Decepticon View Post
    Reissues are usually expensive (though recently moreso than before) because Takara(TOMY) produces them in a more limited run compared to "mainstream" Transformer toys (because adult collectors are a niche market - majority of TF consumers are children) -- but I don't think 10,000JPY ($127) is "too expensive to open" (IMHO) (especially for those of us who pre-ordered early and got early-bird discounts ) Besides, it's only a reissue... and not terribly good ones at that. Just open them up and enjoy them... that's what reissues are for! When I get reissues I usually "retire" my original G1s as display pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Almost all the Encore toys so far have decreased in 'value', so unless you enjoy keeping it in the box or intend to resell it for about the same as you paid, you might as well open it up.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

They were also more affordable to complete as a set too because they're all carded figures - whereas completing a Scramble gestalt as a kid was a bit harder because the core body-bot was a more expensive boxed figure. The Predacons also many of the same qualities as the Constructicons and are individually better figures and Predaking is far more solid gestalt -- but the Preds were all boxed figures making it _very_ expensive to complete Predaking! My memory's really hazy on this, but I think each individual Constructicon was maybe $9 each? I remember they were expensive for carded toys (but they're also really big - towering over say the cheaper Autobot Mini-Cars), but cheaper than boxed ones.
    While the constructicons were about $9 each, the central core for the other teams was about double that. With one less member on the scramble city teams it ended up the same price (not counting Predaking or the seacons).

@ goki Sorry being lazy on the quoting

Yeh, I got it SAL. It was a combination of SAL and some more that slowed down my little traveller. Read about the horror here.

Glad to hear about the groin piece. I saw the bit for Scrapper and thought it might be a bit dodgy, was very careful with that little fella thats fer sure.

I must admit, I am not sure what is stronger than a rocket drill. Maybe a God Scrander Punch? Been a long time since I saw some crazy robot-riffic anime.

I like Devs, nice little toy that one. Buy it!

I like the way that the pieces that are used to join Devs individual components together can be popped onto the vehicle modes. The first instance of Stealth Force?
    I'd say the first instance of "Stealth Force" would be the original 1984 Optimus Prime toy, because there's a square-shaped hole on the top of his trailer where Combat Deck's attack tower can protrude from - giving him an attack vehicle mode (pic <--2nd one from the left)

There were several Transformers in 1985 who could attach weapons in their alt modes; even the Dinobots had weapons in their dino modes (Swoop prominently uses his attack dino mode in canonical appearances). Jetfire has the most decked-out attack alt mode (and attack robot mode ). But I'd say out of the Transformers in Devastator's year, the two Transformers that have the most "Stealth Force-esque" attack alt mode would be Perceptor and Tracks, because they actually transform into their attack alt modes rather than just sticking weapons onto them. In fact, Perceptor's tank mode doesn't require any additional weapons, he just transforms into it!

But I do like how Devastator's vehicle weapons are made up from his gestalt kibble rather than being separate accessories. Feels more resourceful to me.

Yeh, I got it SAL. It was a combination of SAL and some more that slowed down my little traveller. Read about the horror here.
    Haha, that's not to bad. I was waiting for you to open the box and have Devs hands broken or something, after the horrors of water damage.

I might get this or the anime head version. Looks good enough for a spot. I think I might have to clear a shelf for a G1/reissue collection.

If this had been yellow/orange, it would have been instantly bought!

As it is now - lame!