Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you draw the line with collecting?

Default Where do you draw the line with collecting?

When I started collecting a few years back (about 2007) I was simply looking to replace the few figures that I had as a kid that got given away, as well as pick up a few extras that I had wanted as a kid but had never been successful in convincing my parents to buy.

But of course with the magic marketplace of ebay, there was so much extra, so along with replacing/acquiring g1 figures, I started slowly picking up peripheral merchandise, from basic items that had been stamped with a logo (sunglasses, wallet etc.) to devices such as walkie talkies and radios.

But the other day I caught myself looking At and considering the merits of picking up a set of party invitations from the 80's and that's when I thought, "that really doesn't have a place in my collection".

So it got me wondering, where do other people draw the line. Is it figures only, or is your holy grail 2 metres of vintage transformers print fabric? And if you do collect peripheral merchandise, what would be your favorite piece?

If its G1 US or Japanese then its good for me. Be it MIB, MISB a decoy or a red decoder or even some odd piece of merchandise. This includes WST's and various G1 PVC's. heh

I'm always tempted by the masterpieces but so far have resisted every single one...... I have 1 movie toy and even though it one of my faviourite characters I'm just not diggin it.

I'll buy any toy, comic, and dvd. I also buy clothes.
    With toys I will buy from and line out but I won't buy repaints that I don't think are necessary or are done to create a new character. I also don't get non transforming toys such as RPM's and I'll get the toy in the biggest mould possible.

Easy for me. BW has a pretty clearly defined start and finish, toy-wise anyway.

I don't get into the repaints though. Fox Kids junk etc. I will have to track down a TM2 Tripredacus Agent however, because he is a different character.

As for peripherals, the comics and dvd's of course, maybe a poster or two. I've considered the BW colour-changing glass from time to time, but never gone through with it

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

I basically collect my own version of the G1 classicverse. I have my own exceptions eg: I use animated Blurr instead of Generations Blurr as I think animated Blurr is a better representation. Adding to this I have a shelf with the bases/city robots transformed in their city/base modes with legends and robot heroes running around everywhere. Then there is a shelf for extras that I buy that don't fit into either of the 2 previous catergories but I like them anyway. I also collect the comics in TPB format.

Thankfully my collection is pretty much complete in my eyes at the moment until some new figures are released anyway. So atleast I'm saving money.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

I pretty much draw the line at items that don't transform (starting to collect Actionmasters though) but kiddy stuff like RPM's those hotwheels type car things, Cyberslammers. I'm fussy with what I buy and will generally consider purchasing repaints of items if the character they repaint them as looks decent. I like G1 homage's but regardless the alt and robot modes have to look decent to me or I just leave them on the shelf. They also need to have decent posebility and as I found with some of the ROTF line, the ability to stand is a necessity, since I display 98% of my TF's in robot mode. That goes across all molds, robots and toylines. I look at way too many current transformers and just allround dislike the robot modes. If I'm not sold on them I pass. It sounds odd but I think the current line is why I've gone back to collecting G1's after 5 or 6 years.
    With that said I love "Classics/Generationsverse" and will buy any figure I like that I think fits into that universe. It also helps if I'm familiar with the character. Shoot me but I had no idea who Generations Thunderwing was and kept passing him in the shops. Then later found he was a Japanese character and I NEEDED to have him for my collection. To date I've still passed on RTS Strafe and Generations Skullgrin. Which were stupid uses for those molds.

For me it's was at the beginning getting what figures I wanted, or looks good to me (with my measly student allowance at the time). Then now that Im working, I set out completing my G1 - almost done still have Overlord to get. The rest of the different series I will "complete" to a certain degree only, of being complete for me. Such as:

G1 - encore, doubles (G1 insections), E-hobby stuff, old botcon, Euros - if affordable for me, yes. Otherwise just Overlord left to get.
    BW - transmetal versions (whenever possible) of series cast only
    TFAnimated - all released figures sans botcon stuff and recolours
    Classicverse - ongoing but if not G1 based prolly not getting the fig...
    G2 whatever I can get but not actively seeking - same with MPs
    Unicron trilogy, TFU vr 1 - stopped and put in storage
    same with bayverse and other series it's mostly stopped - getting a few figures (2-4) that I might like from the series.

NO too kiddy stuff - rpms, those pull and go stuff, none of em.

Other Liegeverse faction

Unicronians - ongoing - any figure that might be related to the dark god of TFs I will add to the collection as either an agent, a puppet, a general, etc
    Army building - ongoing (Energon terrorcons, Scrapmetals, Unicron tanks)- these serve as the foot soldiers of unicronian army
    Minicons - ongoing - gotta catch em all
    non official stuff - Energon cubes, 3rd party figures and accessories - if they look good for me and can fit in my liegeverse - yes(depends on price also)

Peripherals wise -
    Clothing, DVDs, Comic books, books, G1 centered posters - yes
    Mugs and other useful stuff (e.g. belt) - depends if I can use it, otherwise no

Lately though with only the ugly DOTM bots out there, Ive moved on to my DCU collection, so the variation and break is refreshing
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Good question. I primarily collect the movie toys but also do have some Classics, Animated, G1 and even Cybertron toys. All toys are transformable though. I think I'll draw the line once I run out of room lol

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua Prime View Post
    Shoot me but I had no idea who Generations Thunderwing was and kept passing him in the shops. Then later found he was a Japanese character and I NEEDED to have him for my collection.
    Thunderwing is a US Character, yet to appear at all in jap fiction I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    Thunderwing is a US Character, yet to appear at all in jap fiction I believe.
    He's in the new issue of Generations, but yes, Thunderwing is the antithesis of a Japanese character since he wasn't released in Japan (Black Shadow was instead) and was a hugely important character in the US and UK comics.

My collection process is quite simple - I only buy what I like, and if I get sick of something I sell it.