Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tipping. Do you tip?

wow, Gok, that was an interesting story, I've never heard of that happening to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    I remember when I was on my traineeship I was on $8.08 an hour for a 38hr week. Then I would D.J on friday night for $60 an hour and make more in one night then I did in a week.
    And they wonder why traineeships and aprinteeships are failing

True, My apprenticeship was a salary of $6.36 and hour for a 38 hour week with overtime hours going to time in lieu, Stupid me. Did between 80-100 hours a week and only made $236.
    Make more money on the dole

In theory there's a minimum wage - but in reality there are some dodgy employers who pay cash-in-hand below minimum wage. When I used to wait tables I was paid $7/hour. And it does suck that the dole pays better than some traineeships/apprenticeships. They should either increase the pay for trainees/apprentices, or decrease the amount of money people receive on the dole (which should hopefully be a better incentive for some of those people to get a job). I know not all dole recipients are lazy bludgers, but I think we've all known people who are. I've known at least two people who are just text-book dole bludgers who wouldn't know the meaning of work if it came up and kicked them in the janglies.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I know not all dole recipients are lazy bludgers, but I think we've all known people who are. I've known at least two people who are just text-book dole bludgers who wouldn't know the meaning of work if it came up and kicked them in the janglies.
    I was in centrelink for austudy once and this dude was on his mobile yabbering on about going on holiday! What? I suspect if I could sit around at home playing my playstation, that would be a holiday for me!

Regarding the Japanese culture or honesty..... lot of people dont use bank and keep money at home. After the recent tsunami event, lot bundles of cash/money and safes were wash up. The japanese people who found it just bring them to the police station and hopefully want to return it to the rightful owner. A whole car park is converted to keep these items.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Rarely -- only if the service is exceptional.
    And who can forget that old Pizza Hut ad with Dougie...
    "Do I get a tip?"
    "Yeah... work hard, be kind to your mother."
    LOL. I prefer Al Bundy when he catches his daughter curled up with the pizza delivery guy eating pizza.

Pizza Guy to Al Bundy "You owe $7.50+ a tip"
    Al Bundy grabs Pizza Guy by the the collar and drives him head first into the door "Here's a tip, doors are hard. Keep the change" Then throws him out.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

tron07: I can believe that. One time I was at a Hanami (Cherry Blossom viewing event) and I'd dropped my wallet somewhere, but I didn't realise it (cos often you don't realise that you've lost your wallet until you want to buy something) -- so for hours and hours I walked around without my wallet until I'd already left the Hanami venue. I walked into a convenience store to buy something, and to my horror the wallet was gone. I hurried back to the venue -- certain that it'd be gone by now, but as I retraced my steps, there on a low tree branch (i.e. eye height) was my wallet sitting there. Someone had kindly placed it there - out of the way yet clearly visible. And all my cash was still there. Hundreds of people must have walked past that tree with my wallet sitting in it and nobody touched it.

During the summer time I frequently come across cars parked with the keys in the ignition and the doors left open (to keep the car cool I presume). Sometimes with the engine running. The first time I saw this, I thought some silly person had accidentally done this, but then afterwards when I walked back, the car was still there - doors still open, keys still in the ignition.

The Japanese are generally a very honest people. Unless they have something not very kind to say, in which case they'll outright lie - e.g. if a foreigner speaks horrifically crap Japanese, they'll tell him/her that s/he's incredibly fluent. Or my ex who decided not to tell me that she was cheating on me. (but I suppose most cheaters don't fess up till they're caught ) But generally speaking they are very honest.