View Poll Results: Which is your most dominant language other than English?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chinese

21 27.27%
  • Greek

3 3.90%
  • Hungarian

0 0%
  • Italian

5 6.49%
  • Japanese

5 6.49%
  • Maltese

1 1.30%
  • Spanish

4 5.19%
  • Tagalog

7 9.09%
  • Other

19 24.68%
  • I like machine language (none)

12 15.58%
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: What language (other than English) do you speak?

Last Saturday I was in a meeting with some parents from my daughter's Japanese school discussing organisation for the upcoming athletics carnival. One mother spoke entirely in some form of Kansaiben and... uh... yeah... I could understand her but there was a delay, which isn't great when you're in the middle of a conference. Native speakers have no problem, but I kept on "translating" everything she was saying from Kansaiben to Hyoujungo, and by time most of those translations were done in my head I was missing out on what other people were saying on other matters. Which got more awkward when they'd look at me and ask me for input and I'd be like, "Sorry, what was that?"

From here. Examples of Latin words ending with the "-ticus" suffix and their "-tici" plurals.
    aquāticus (water) → aquāticī (waters)
    domesticus (house) → domesticī (houses)
    lūnāticus (insane person) → lūnāticī (insane people)
    opticus (vision) → opticī (visions)
    rūsticus (rural area) → rūsticī (rural areas)
    etc.

For anyone here with Welsh ancestry - Britain's Got Talent (2012): Only Boys Aloud Welsh boys choir
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AARrVAHnkdY

Q: What do you call a dog that sells medicine?
    A: Pharmadog.

This joke doesn't translate well, but "chien" means 'dog' in French and chemist is "pharmacie," so "Pharmachien" ... yeah.

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    This joke doesn't translate well, but "chien" means 'dog' in French and chemist is "pharmacie," so "Pharmachien" ... yeah.
    Isn't Chien a female name? Who goes around naming their daughter a 'dog'.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Isn't Chien a female name? Who goes around naming their daughter a 'dog'.
    I've never heard of such a name. Any references or links?

The French word 'chien' (say "sheh") is descendant from the Latin word canis ("kah-niss"). It's related to the English word "canine" which comes from canīnus ("kah-nee-noos"), meaning "doglike."

Megatran Guest

Quick google search as it says it's a boy's name. http://names.newkerala.com/baby-name/10036/chien

It's also a Chinese family name.

It seems you've answered your previous question then. As a surname it's obviously not a given name (either masculine or feminine), so noone is naming their child "dog," it just that some people happen to have the French word for "dog" as their family name. A lot of people have weird sounding surnames. The Scottish surname Farquhar is often mispronounced as "far-kwah," but in actuality it rhymes with "Parker." You can fill in the gaps.

This story's been around for a while, but for those who haven't seen it yet it's a four year old Russian girl who can speak 7 languages!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBgadpvGs7U

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    I always thought the word "none" was derived from no one/not one along the lines of contractions like "can't" and the likes.

Ah the joys of English, so many external influences over the years of its development.
    Actually, in this particular case 'none,' 'not,' 'one,' and 'any' are actually all original English words.

One interesting thing that can happen in some languages like English is that when new foreign loan words are added to the language, the original words don't necessarily all become extinct, but rather continue to live alongside their imported counterparts. But the interesting thing is how words from English and non-English origins meaning the same thing can evoke very different feelings to the audience.
    e.g. (L: English, R: loanword)
    hearty = cordial
    welcome = reception
    kin = family
    fatherhood = paternity
    ship = naval
    sea = marine
    child = infant
    body = corporate
    head = capital
    first helper = prime minister

Or this...

English Only
    Shapeshifters is a workgang rights made by Banded Folksdoms plaything club Good-Brothers and Dawnlandish plaything club Riches Wealth. Firstly a set of shapeshifting playthings branded again from Riches Wealth’s Through-twig and Smallman plaything set, the rights was beginning in nineteen eighty-four with the Shapeshifters plaything set, and looks at gangs of shapeshifting offworld steelmen (most oft the Self-steelmen and Outwit-steelmen) in an endless struggle for overlordship or as and when kinship. In its ten years long lore, the rights has unfolded to beset talestrips, livedrawing, stream games and films.

With foreign loanwords
    Transformers is a media franchise produced by American toy company Hasbro and Japanese toy company Takara Tomy. Initially a line of transforming toys rebranded from Takara's Diaclone and Microman toylines, the franchise began in 1984 with the Transformers toy line, and centers on factions of transforming alien robots (often the Autobots and the Decepticons) in an endless struggle for dominance or eventual peace. In its decades-long history, the franchise has expanded to encompass comic books, animation, video games and films.

From here

The plural for happy is actually happies, so it'd be Triggerhappies. Although 'happy' is an adjective, in this case it has undergone nominalisation and thus behaves as a noun, specifically a proper noun in the case of the name "Triggerhappy." It wouldn't "happi" as that sounds more like the rule for pluralising Latin masculine nouns which end in -us, but Latin adjectives and even non-masculine nouns that don't end in -us are pluralised differently.

e.g. (nominative cases)

Masculine nouns
    camīnus (forge) → camīnī (forges)
    dominus (lord) → dominī (lords)
    porcus (pig) → porcī (pigs)

Non-masculine nouns
    domina (mistress) → dominae (mistresses)
    ātrium (atrium) → ātria (atria)

Adjectives
    laetus (happy) → laeta (happies)
    īrātus (angry) → īrāta (angries)

etc.