PDA

View Full Version : The Soapbox XIII: Necessary Evils

STL
28th August 2009, 12:07 PM
The Soapbox XIII: Necessary Evils

It's our 25th anniversary and what better way to mark it than with the ultimate big screen blockbuster that would shatter record after record. Revenge of the Fallen (ROTF) has been an unqualified success. In terms of sales, that is. But there is much doubt that hovers over the success of ROTF in other terms, more specifically to us, the fandom. Is the success a credible one that adds to the tapestry or is it a cringeworthy one that would be better left forgotten in the depths of Unicron's bowels? That's the question this Soapbox seeks to answer.

Let's start from base one. Michael Bay. One should generally be able to surmise by whoever is at the helm of the directorship of a flick as to what the flavour of the movie is. Did anyone really expect much more than that from the outset? Did anybody really think for the moment that this was going to be a Star Trek or Star Wars shattering, universe building movie? Given his track record, you'd have been rather naive to expect otherwise. So from this point of view, if you approach the movie with expectations of what type of movie this will be given the director, ROTF definitely isn't a great departure from those expectations. It's a rather soulless flick with lots of explosions and some attempt at humour. In that sense, it achieves what it set out to do and can be hardly considered a failure..To level accusations that it failed because it was an unintelligent, soulless and lame movie are completely unfair. One doesn't cross a dog and expect it to meow.

Sneaking our way towards base two. The more difficult part. While we can all agree the movie isn't very meaningful, the question is does it add to the mythos? Is it a success in that sense? Why's this important? B/c what you often find with successful franchises is that people hold onto those little nuances that are additions to a mythos and take it in directions for years to come, opening new possibilities and conjecture. In this regard, I think ROTF has succeeded or in many ways exceeded our expectations. The concept of a combiner has been turned on its head with the ROTF Devastator. The discussions and the paradigm that a combiner must be individual robots has all been but turned on its head. ROTF Devastator is a giant who is a combination of a whole lot of vehicles that form one sentient being. In turn this raises questions as to sentience though. Do each of the vehicles have a sentience of their own? Or is it collective? And how does that play out? Is it slowly to react as a whole? Can it choose as it pleases the vehicles that it's a combination? Moving past the combiner concept. The Matrix. The 13. The Seekers. The explorers who sought out different worlds. Can TFs be grown from little cocoons as Starscream did? TF history. How long have the TFs been on Earth? Who else is out there? The Matrix's own sentience. Twins. Sacrificing of sparks. Many of the events in ROTF put those elements of TF on show, raising questions and opening new dimensions simultaneously. Certainly, the story doesn't bring it together effectively but one cannot deny those elements and layers being added to the TF mythos and that's certainly a win for us.

At third base, we've got a larger complication. It's a movie about TFs but you'd be hard pressed to not think it was about the military and how oh so glorious and coordinated they are. Not to mention their state-of-the-art technology that's armed with absolute precision. You know, across 2 movies how much more do we really know about the TFs? How much layers have they added to the characters? As sad as it is, not very damn much.

Autobots
Optimus - okay, that's a win
Bumblebee - not much really, other than that his attachment to the boy's a bit worrying when he bursts into tears
Ironhide - okay, pretty G1. Hard, grumpy and uncompromising but completely tied to the cause. Nice.
Ratchet - team medic, bit of a sense of humour
Jazz - stereotype galore, then he got maimed
Sideswipe - my personality oozes from 1 line; but i'm as cool and bad@$$as i look
Jolt - WTF? and "W" stands for who in case ur wondering. Geez, I described him with more words than he uttered in the movie
Mudflap - stereotype galore
Skids - stereotype galore
Jetfire - awesome but still rather generic

Decepticons
Megatron - a fair bit actually though it really sucks to see him all of a sudden willing to be second in command
Starscream - okay that's a win
Barricade - dunno, cool cop car though
Brawl - zilch
Blackout - more zilch
Sideways - if you call running and then getting sliced in half "personality", sure
Alice - hot... oh wait, we're talking personality and character here
Rampage - nada
Ravage - silent brooding type, generic, G1 esque though
Soundwave - hey i sit up here and broadcast all day
Scapel - borderline fail, he's got a lot more lines than most of his counterparts tho
Demolisher - more nada
Mixmaster - even more nada
The Fallen - generic i wanna take over the world bad guy
Long Haul - why am I even bothering?

It's pretty damn inexcusable to be honest. The core characters to a movie yet there's so little of their character. That's an unqualified fail if I've ever seen one. Sure, it might be a soulless Michael Bay movie but surely at some affording some of your characters with a bit of personality and lines couldn't have hurt. Really why is that Mark Ryan guy even needed to do Bumblebee's voice. He never even says a word.

Heading onto the home straight now, it certainly appears ROTF was not a success from the point of view of the fandom. It's addition to the mythos aisde, it doesn't offer too much. But that's a fairly tunnelled view of things. While sales success, look at box office receipts, merchandise and toy sales, isn't always a gage there's one very significant factor we cannot overlook. Longevity.

The longevity of TFs is critical to its success as a franchise. What ROTF does is make Transformers big. It makes the brand big. It keeps in the minds of a generation. Much like you still see Matrix or Pirates of the Carribean still on the shelves, it will keep TFs on the shelves. Those who don't even become fans will grow into parents and what they'll still remember the movie, recognise the brand. That will certainly influence the toys they purchase for their kids. And this, my friends, is where we win. By securing the longevity and strength of the brand that gives Hasbro/Takara the ability to keep developing TFs. More specifically b/c of the strength of the brand they'll be able to offer us the fans more. They'll be in a better position to talk with car makers for brands like alternity or Human Alliance. They'll have a stronger market and therefore a bigger budget available for R&D. They are able to do that with confidence b/c they have a blockbuster movie that blew the pants off of ever other movie in the cinemas and were unprecedented successes in the space of 3 years. ROTF helps and contributes to that and that is not a contribution that we can ignore.

Certainly, it's easy to lose sight of this massive contribution that ROTF makes given the lame characterisation and the subpar quality of the movie. Many of those failures are cringeworthy and ROTF will never be the same as G1 or Beast Wars or heck even Animated, but it's place and contribution we can never understate. In the long-term for the next 10-15 years, we have a strong brand. The cost of that is that to make it mainstream to the public of both genders, a lot of the integrity of TFs was compromised. That we got a soulless creature. That we had some awful stereotypes. That we had lots of humans who were more important that the TFs that the movie was supposed to be about.

And that is why as sad as it is, ROTF is the necessary evil that we had to have.

The Soapbox Archive
The Soapbox I: TFM or TFTM? (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=1414)
The Soapbox II: The Problem with Jets (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=1484)
The Soapbox III: Price-Matching (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=1581)
The Soapbox IV: The Top 10 Characters of All-Time (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=1685)
The Soapbox V: What makes a good Transformers? (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2707)
The Soapbox VI: Don't like gimmicks? Start dealing with it. (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2804)
The Soapbox VII: The Top 10 Transformers toys of 2008 (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=3115)
The Soapbox VIII: 2008: A Year in Review (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=3122)
The Soapbox IX: Budgeting Basics (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=3461)
The Soapbox X: A Prime Problem (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=3550)
The Soapbox XI: Battle of the City-Formers (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=4007)
The Soapbox XII: The Convenient Truth (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=118211)

Kyle
28th August 2009, 12:40 PM
It was a crap movie but I liked it. :D

Lint
28th August 2009, 01:43 PM
I would argue that it is not a necessary evil on two points

-the transformers brand would have had adequate longevity for the next 10-15 years without any feature films, let alone the ones we received. Sure sales might not have been as supreme but the toyline/cartoon formula has never gone wrong.

-ROTF (and the first movie) could have been so much more, an awesome angel instead of a necessary evil.

That said, i don't think ROTF has wounded the mighty TF franchise at all. Plenty of popular fictional characters have suffered more-atrocious-than-ROTF feature films adaptations in the past without any real detriment to their existing popularity or overall longevity. I think in this and many other cases, film adaptations are dependent on the existing longevity/recognizability of a brand rather than the other way around.

All this coming from someone who hasn't even seen ROTF yet :p

Sky Shadow
28th August 2009, 01:48 PM
I can't remember who I was talking to at the Parra fair, but someone mentioned that ROTF was officially the most critically panned film to ever make as much money as it has. That is, no movie has made as much money ($826,889,137) with such bad reviews (about a two-star average, I think.) I don't know where that idea originated, but I think they're great statistics if they're accurate.

As a Transformers franchise, the 200X movies save me a lot of money. I don't buy a year's worth of toys, DVDs, merchandise, comics - heck, for ROTF I didn't even have to pay to see the film or for my popcorn or drink. The entire movie universe is a triviality to me - unlike Beast Wars or Generation 2 it's not a part of the G1 universe I love (basically the Marvel Comics and Anglophile toy Tech Specs profiles), and unlike Animated or Masterforce or Shattered Glass it's not even an 'alternate' universe in which I enjoy the stories. I don't appreciate the aesthetics or the laborious transformations and have-bits-fall-off-in-your-hands nature of the toys. No sir, I don't like it.

For me, ROTF is not even an evil, let alone a necessary one. I think evils are things that cannot be ignored and if it were truly evil I'd actually care about it enough to fight against it. As it is, the movies mean nothing to me.

Although I do like Alice. :D

GoktimusPrime
28th August 2009, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't classify ROTF as "evil" at all - I like it! Sure, it's not the best movie ever, but I'm heavily biased, so that's okay. :D And yeah, the movie pretty much lived up to what I was expecting from it!

And like it or not, you can't deny the incredible strength it has bolstered for the Transformers franchise. Compare the social profile Transformers had before and after the movies. I've been a TF fan/collector since 1984 and I can _not_ remember TFs ever being so mainstream before (not saying that it's completely mainstream, but it's the closest I remember seeing).

STL
28th August 2009, 02:15 PM
I don't think it's "evil" either. I just wanted a catchy name for my title and that's what it was. ;)

(Cos after all my contention is that it does bring good to the TF franchise)

Hereticpoo
28th August 2009, 02:36 PM
As much as I was disappointed by it I'm glad we even got it. Seeing Ninja Prime in the forest was Ousome! Like Skyshadow said, ROTF and TF 2007 is a novelty to me and not a real part of the TF universe. Epic it would have been if Peter Jackson had to make three TF movies. Maybe Live action TF will go the way of Batman? 4 shitty movies (Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin) before someone comes along and puts it right.
The only way from here is up! :D

kup
28th August 2009, 03:30 PM
http://www.geocities.com/wow_frostwolf/fun/2009-08-10.jpg

d*r*j*
28th August 2009, 04:04 PM
To me it's no big deal. There was a writers strike on so they just used the brainstorm sheet as the script.

I have one ROTF toy... the ice cream twins... and its a cool novelty but a really crappy toy. I didn't buy it either...

Gutsman Heavy
28th August 2009, 04:09 PM
Maybe Live action TF will go the way of Batman? 4 shitty movies (Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin) D

SACRILEGE!

Robzy
28th August 2009, 05:16 PM
I really don't think ROTF was "necessary" at all! I don't think it added anything to the fandom. In response to your suggestions (just my opinion btw)...

The concept of a combiner has been turned on its head with the ROTF Devastator. The discussions and the paradigm that a combiner must be individual robots has all been but turned on its head. ROTF Devastator is a giant who is a combination of a whole lot of vehicles that form one sentient being. In turn this raises questions as to sentience though. Do each of the vehicles have a sentience of their own? Or is it collective?

I see your point but it wasn't really that innovative... Energon Optimus Prime combined with his Prime Force (http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Prime_Force) back in 2004/05. They were drones!

Plus we had Shockwave's "mindless" drones and sentinels in G1 anyway, and they seemed to function okay...

The Matrix.
Yeah, so now all the Matrix is supposed to do is blow up suns... Brilliant Mr Bay! :rolleyes:

The 13.

Do you mean the seven (http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Seven_Primes)?

This review (http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/06/bonus_robs_transformers_2_faqs.php?page=1) on Toplessrobot summs it up perfectly for me...

If they wanted to protect Earth, why did they leave the Matrix on the planet? They're a space-faring race, they could have hid it anywhere in galaxy! Second of all, what the **** does making a tomb of their own bodies do? Shouldn't they have stayed alive to protect the Matrix? Or finish off the Fallen? Or just not die and leave Earth and the entire Transformer race in jeopardy?

And why hide the Matrix at all? Don't they need Energon to survive? Didn't they say they go to other lifeless planets? These idiot Primes just doomed their whole species for no ****ing reason whatsoever! No wonder the Decepticons are so p!ssed.

I don't think we should ever remember these guys!

:rolleyes:

The Seekers. The explorers who sought out different worlds.
So, basically, it's the same term we've always had but it's just changed context... so one could argue the 1984 wave of G1 Autobots were in fact called Seekers?

Can TFs be grown from little cocoons as Starscream did? Aren't they just protoforms? Seen them before too.

TF history. How long have the TFs been on Earth? Who else is out there? Well, we know when all the main characters from TF1 arrived on earth, including Megatron. Who else is out there?... Well, whatever other crappy robot Michael Bay dreams up and wants to include I guess?!

Twins.G1 had Sideswipe & Sunstreaker

The Matrix's own sentience. Sacrificing of sparks. I don't think the Matrix was self-aware... it seemed to be a device for operating the Solar Harvester... and, when not inside a sock, bringing Optimus back to life (which Sam's Allspark shard could have already done anyway :rolleyes:)

Certainly, the story doesn't bring it together effectively but one cannot deny those elements and layers being added to the TF mythos and that's certainly a win for us.
Sorry, I really don't see it. What exactly did Michael Bay give us that were new, layered additions? :confused:

It's pretty damn inexcusable to be honest. The core characters to a movie yet there's so little of their character. That's an unqualified fail if I've ever seen one. Sure, it might be a soulless Michael Bay movie but surely at some affording some of your characters with a bit of personality and lines couldn't have hurt. Really why is that Mark Ryan guy even needed to do Bumblebee's voice. He never even says a word.
100% agree!!

The longevity of TFs is critical to its success as a franchise. What ROTF does is make Transformers big. It makes the brand big. It keeps in the minds of a generation. Much like you still see Matrix or Pirates of the Carribean still on the shelves, it will keep TFs on the shelves.Sorry, I don't agree. TFs would be on the shelves with or without ROTF.

As for making TFs "Big"... I think it made it big and stupid! It really hurts me to say this. I love Transformers, but I am utterly ashamed of that movie. It's not even a movie - it has no story or continuity whasoever. It's a commercial made by a Director who doesn't know/understand/give a sh!t about the product!

Worst of all, it's made us Transfans look like idiots! I feel really sad when I read a review (http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_template.php?identifier=1766) of another Sci-Fi film (District 9) and the opening sentence is this...

It is universally acknowledged (at least by those who don't play with Transformers toys) that the best science fiction stories are those that use the devices of aliens, robots, and space ships to illustrate some greater truth.

We've all been lumped in to the same stupid bin as Michael Bay! :mad:

As a Transformers franchise, the 200X movies save me a lot of money. I don't buy a year's worth of toys, DVDs, merchandise, comics - heck, for ROTF I didn't even have to pay to see the film or for my popcorn or drink. The entire movie universe is a triviality to me
100% agree! ROTF has been fantastic for my G1 Transformers, MOTUC, & DCUC collecting! I'm not spending any more on ROTF - not even buying the DVD!!!

Golden Phoenix
28th August 2009, 05:19 PM
Maybe Live action TF will go the way of Batman? 4 shitty movies (Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin) before someone comes along and puts it right.

That wouldn't be too bad. We would at least get some good movies eventually
I cant wait for Transformers: The Dark Bot

roller
28th August 2009, 06:56 PM
ROTF is crap as my dogs behind!!

Tober
28th August 2009, 11:29 PM
It's a kid's movie, that their dad who liked TFs as a kid, takes them along to see... So the US military* can recruit them when they flunk school.

I also believe that one fo the main factors for it's success is that it's riding in on the successs of the first movie. All of my friends liked the first, none liked the second, "especially the twins".

Mr. Bay may be crass but he's not stupid. Transformers has become a huge franchise again and he knows how to milk it, as do Hasbro.

I have Sideways (cos I enjoyed playing as him in the Revenge of the Sideways PC game... many Autobot's died at the end of his scope), Ravage (cos it's Ravage) and Buster Prime (cos it's a good toy) on order - the Human Alliance line may also be bought.

I enjoyed Animated alot but I only have Activators Bumblebee from that line, I don't equate toy collecting with storylines - but then I also take a strange sense of achievement in NOT having a huge collection. :p

* At least he's prepared them for the tea-bagging...

Sky Shadow
28th August 2009, 11:44 PM
* At least he's prepared them for the tea-bagging...

Tober! I was trying to drink as I read that!

(Fortunately I wasn't trying to drink tea, but still...)

Lord_Zed
29th August 2009, 02:01 AM
I don't know if necessary evil is appropriate, but I'd rather have ROTF than have no new TF movie at all. Yeah ok in the end the movie was pretty damn bad, but for me it generated much excitement and renewed my interest in TF's which was starting to nosedive. Anticipation of the movie and a whole new line of toys and the general raising of Transformers profile in the public eye excited me. And that in itself is worth something to me. I go by the old adage that getting there is half the fun, and there's a lot be said for anticipation. With toy acquisitions for example I tend to leave my toys in the package for a while to build anticipation. Sometimes you open the toy and its a let down, but when its good its even better than opening the toy straight away.

In the long run ROTF turned out to be a let down, but it wasn't until my second viewing that I came to this conclusion, in truth I was carried along to that point by the momentum of ROTF's build up, and the movies flashy action scenes carried me through the first viewing. I know the movie had many naysayers since day one who said it would suck and so on and so forth, and it would be easy for me to have gone along with them to. but what was the point for me? There was no joy to be had there, I'd rather take the optimistic upbeat path on this and be let down after a long trip, then one long downer till a kick in the backside.

So in the end yeah crap movie but I enjoyed the ride, and I'd do it all again to.

As for the toys, I was looking forward to them with or without a movie. For me they are a nice change from the usual cartoony world of Transformers. And they are the only mainstream line since G2 that actually turn into existing vehicles (not fictional but quite close to real ones). And while the Autobots do have some weird heads, I like the idea of Decepticons as bestial alien robeasts. i've ended up getting quite a few of them, but in fact while the movie may have helped a little I continued my collection based on the strength of the previous toy purchased rather than whether they were some big guy in the movie, and while there were some losers, for me there were more winners.

Of course I was starting to feel a little TF starved after last year. Animated for me was what this years ROTF line is for others, Stylistically not for me, and my first experience with a toy from the line was fraught with falling of limbs and breakage. :(

I suppose this doesn't really relate all that much to the discussion of ROTF as a necessary evil, but I just felt it was a good point to share my thoughts on the movie now that its has come and gone.

Maybe Live action TF will go the way of Batman? 4 shitty movies (Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin) before someone comes along and puts it right.
The only way from here is up! :D

Hey Batman was great, 20 years ago.

Worst of all, it's made us Transfans look like idiots! I feel really sad when I read a review of another Sci-Fi film (District 9) and the opening sentence is this...

Quote:
It is universally acknowledged (at least by those who don't play with Transformers toys) that the best science fiction stories are those that use the devices of aliens, robots, and space ships to illustrate some greater truth.

We've all been lumped in to the same stupid bin as Michael Bay!

I disagree, we've always looked like idiots. :p As grown ups who collect toys where right up there with Star Trek convention geeks, and Star Wars nerds dressed as Jedi. The only reason TF's get a mention by this reviewer is because ROTF was the blockbuster event of the year, had this review been written last year it would probably have mentioned something about Indiana Jones and a fridge.

Besides I don't recall there being a greater truth in the original TF animated movie.

RageOnTheRoads
29th August 2009, 07:33 PM
It's a kid's movie, that their dad who liked TFs as a kid, takes them along to see... So the US military* can recruit them when they flunk school.

I also believe that one fo the main factors for it's success is that it's riding in on the successs of the first movie. All of my friends liked the first, none liked the second, "especially the twins".

Mr. Bay may be crass but he's not stupid. Transformers has become a huge franchise again and he knows how to milk it, as do Hasbro.[/SIZE]

Too true!

It wasn't a necessary evil, just good ol' hollywood and co milking money out of something they knew would score while simultaneously sapping a little more creativity from the world and forcing the masses to become more accustom to mediocrity. All so they can continue to shove crap down our throats. When you find yourself trying to excuse it -as I have- as "just an action movie" you realize how bad it really has become.

Action movies can and should be great... with plots and characters who you can love and get behind. ROTF had a plot that had clearly suffered under the writers strike, and characters who -when not displaying flip-flopping, soulless, cardboard cut out personalities- would disappear just as you started to enjoy them.

Nah, ROTF was inexcusably bad. Sadly another example of explosive creative potential falling victim to Hollywood exec greed and all the other schmucks in suits -and directors caps- who don't share a creative bone between them.

The first movie followed by animated was enough to revive interest in the TF mythos. The first movie was great, it was a fun little action packed romp. :D

SilverDragon
30th August 2009, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't see it as a necessary evil. To label RotF as 'evil' implies that there was no way it could have been better-which it could have been. The first film, while not perfect, was better in many ways. This proves that it's not simply a case of just 'oh this is as good as we can be' as it is a case of a big drop in quality.

Even without RotF, the franchise would still be going on-it survived for nigh-on 20 years without a blockbuster film (I don't count TFTM as one since it didn't open in enough cinemas to count, and so had a limited cultural impact outside of Transfandom).

The unfortunate thing about RotF is that while it rakes in the cash (and so benefits whatever the next TF project Hasbro is working on), it really screws with the popular image of the franchise.

A kid's movie? Since when did a kid's movie have many uses of explicit language, near-rape, Skankatron, and, well, stuff like that?

Tober
31st August 2009, 07:01 AM
A kid's movie? Since when did a kid's movie have many uses of explicit language, near-rape, Skankatron, and, well, stuff like that?

About the same time that the MPAA slapped a PG-13 rating on it. Released during the holiday season with a massive kids toy-line to support it... Irrespective of content this was aimed at family groups - lowest common denominator material.

GoktimusPrime
31st August 2009, 10:43 AM
And the M rating in Australia is like... pfftt. The M rating is defined (http://www.classification.gov.au/www/cob/classification.nsf/Page/Community_and_ConsumersClassification_MarkingsFilm _and_Computer_Games) as "Recommended for mature audiences." Recommended. This means that there's no enforcement for under 15s to go see the movie. It's like a serving suggestion on food packaging - we _suggest_ that you do it, but you don't have to if you don't wanna! And you don't even need adult supervision.

I think if the movie was truly intended for mature audiences then it would have an MA15+ rating (which is defined as "Not suitable for people under 15. Under 15s must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.")

kup
31st August 2009, 11:18 AM
I can't imagine Hasbro being happy at Soft porn pretenders. That was the most inapropriate bit for 'famillies'.

Of course its also possible that Hasbro doesn't give a damn as long as the truck loads of money keep rolling in.

Lord_Zed
31st August 2009, 01:43 PM
I can't imagine Hasbro being happy at Soft porn pretenders. That was the most inapropriate bit for 'famillies'.

Of course its also possible that Hasbro doesn't give a damn as long as the truck loads of money keep rolling in.

That was my understanding of how, Hasbro and most of Hollywood works.