PDA

View Full Version : A Culling of People

1orion2many
11th March 2009, 02:39 PM
Well I'm still employed at the moment but this may change over the next month or two. The company I work for is making people redundant as of this moment, 32 people Australia wide with more to follow if the meeting was anything to go by. Is anyone else facing this at the moment, I have been through this once before in the late 80's when a company I was working for was bought out by a larger company then shut down. Some personal friends have already been laid off today, it is a very uncomfortable place to be at the moment waiting for the Axe to fall.

optimus1
11th March 2009, 02:44 PM
I feel for you mate, I had the very same feeling last year.

My best mate at work happened to be one of those gone ('due to the current market and economic conditions') :(

All the best

Trailer Park Ninja
11th March 2009, 03:27 PM
Hi, sorry to hear your situation, though it is a pretty common one in these times. I had two friends who lost their jobs recently due to the economic crisis and such. One poor guy got laid off 2 weeks prior to his probabtion period ending.

Even though I'm in the public sector, I'm still looking over my shoulder.

Kyle
11th March 2009, 03:28 PM
Best of luck mate.

kup
11th March 2009, 03:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your friends. Best wishes and I hope that you manage to pull through this tough period.

Ace
11th March 2009, 04:17 PM
hang in there mate

Bartrim
11th March 2009, 05:56 PM
Hope you keep your job mate.

You could always do what I did and become your own boss:D... Although since I started working for myself I have felt like firing myself a couple of times.

MV75
11th March 2009, 07:05 PM
What company, or what type of position is it?

I'm fortunate, I'm employed by a company that always has business and is short of staff.

I still predict though that when things pick up again, these companies that axed employees will be crying that they have noone to fill their jobs and will have to pay exhorborate rates to contractors. :D That or spend heaps training new staff and losing productivity as opposed to keeping what they have now. But bean counters man, they don't know jack outside numbers on paper.

GoktimusPrime
11th March 2009, 08:06 PM
Gah... that sucks. :/ But as regretable as it is, it's a necessary evil as I'm sure we all understand. My father used to me in the position of having to select which employees to make redundant, and then call them into his office to give them the bad news. He hated that job like I've never seen him hate anything before. My dad's the kind of person who never brings work home - never talks about his work unless someone specifically brings it up. But when he was doing that work he would actually come home and complain about how unpleasant it was, something out of character for him. Some of his friends would try to console him by telling him that sacking his fellow workers helped to secure the employment of many others and keep the company afloat, but my dad said that in the end, each one of the people who made redundant had families to feed and mortgages and bills to pay. He ended up leaving that company after many, many years of service just because he couldn't live with himself continuing to ruin people's lives and families...

Is anyone else facing this at the moment,
Nope. I work in a field which has a desperate shortage of labour. Of course, the disadvantage is that we're badly overworked. :/ But yeah, right now I'm glad that I work in a field that has relatively good job security.

Robzy
11th March 2009, 09:49 PM
Sorry to hear it mate. :( All the best!

You could always do what I did and become your own bossYeah, I did the same thing and never looked back!

Although since I started working for myself I have felt like firing myself a couple of times.Try sleeping with the boss! ;) :D

1orion2many
12th March 2009, 08:50 AM
Well I survived yesterday but today is another day of culling, fingers crossed. I work for a service industry for the minesites just to clear things up, very ugly. What I find offensive is when we had a meeting and they are talking about the redundancies they are refering to the company as ******* family, I find this offensive as it's not the sort of thing I'd do to my family.

Kyle
12th March 2009, 11:43 AM
Reminds me of this:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2009/02/microsoft_overpaid_some_layoff_severances_asks_for _it_back-2.html

Then they changed their mind after the bad press... :D

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2009/02/fired_overpaid_microsoft_employees_get_to_keep_mon ey-2.html

Bartrim
12th March 2009, 04:26 PM
Try sleeping with the boss! ;) :D

Thanks for the tip Robzy now I'm suing myself for sexual harrassment:p

1orion2many
16th March 2009, 10:25 AM
:)Well it's a new week and I'm still going but the culling wont stop until the end of March I believe:rolleyes:.

STL
16th March 2009, 11:11 AM
Tought times, orion. Hang in there, bud. I think everyone's pretty worried at the moment. Several of my seniors are too at work which goes to show nothing's for certain right now.

kup
16th March 2009, 11:45 AM
:)Well it's a new week and I'm still going but the culling wont stop until the end of March I believe:rolleyes:.

I hope the months ends well for you.

1orion2many
16th March 2009, 02:34 PM
:)It's all good, I've still got my good looks to fall back on:D, my wife will dispute this:eek::D

turtle boy
16th March 2009, 05:26 PM
I was made redundant last year. I was told that the job i was doing wasnt going to be done anymore and they let me go. My dad works for the company that I was working at and he's told me they have the job running again and some new guy there. you' dthink they would get the purson that knew the job and was good at it back again. But ah well. I got another job, nothing to cry about, cept we're running out of work fast.

jacksplatt11
16th March 2009, 05:29 PM
I just got a casual job at a bottle shop, people still need to drink right? :p but yeah, hope everything works out alright for you Orion, I know of a few people who are in some tricky situations at the moment, similar to yours...

kup
16th March 2009, 06:35 PM
I just got a casual job at a bottle shop, people still need to drink right? :p but yeah, hope everything works out alright for you Orion, I know of a few people who are in some tricky situations at the moment, similar to yours...

They keep saying that during economic crisis the demand for booze goes straight up!

Kyle
16th March 2009, 06:50 PM
:)It's all good, I've still got my good looks to fall back on:D, my wife will dispute this:eek::D

You also have roller! :D

Seriously, best of luck mate. Hopefully it'll turn out alright. :)

Sam
16th March 2009, 07:06 PM
Dude, sorry to hear about that. I hope you'll be safe.

Saintly
16th March 2009, 11:25 PM
keep your chin up... i'm fortunate to still have a job.

don't take it as a negative... but i wish i was made redundant. Get a payout then hop straight into the next job.

1orion2many
17th March 2009, 09:39 AM
:)If I was made redundant I would get about 6 months pay so it wouldn't be all doom and gloom straight away as I'd have some leeway before I'd panic:D.

Tetsuwan Convoy
17th March 2009, 11:09 AM
I was made redundant last year. I was told that the job i was doing wasnt going to be done anymore and they let me go. My dad works for the company that I was working at and he's told me they have the job running again and some new guy there. you' dthink they would get the purson that knew the job and was good at it back again. But ah well. I got another job, nothing to cry about, cept we're running out of work fast.
That sucks! I wonder if he is getting paid less? I bet they changed the title of the job.

That and Grocery shops. People will always need food. Until we can live on Energon I guess..

They keep saying that during economic crisis the demand for booze goes straight up!
WOuldn't suprise me at all. I think that is how this whole thing started though...
<US Bank board meeting, After a champagne brekky and a bozzy lunch celebrating successful millions made>
Bigshot 1 "Sho now we have made such a massive profit, (hic)where do we go from here?"

Bigshot 2 "Howsh about we give loansh to people who cant pay them and see what happensh.... Wheresh my beer gone?

BS 1 "Great (buuuurp!) <general laughter from whole room> I like it! ou cna have a 13milion bonus for that one!"

BS2 "Shanksh, next roundsh on me!"

Everyone "Hurrah!"

:D True story

Story may not be true

turtle boy
17th March 2009, 05:01 PM
That sucks! I wonder if he is getting paid less? I bet they changed the title of the job.

Yes, he's being paid less. A considerable amount less. i still have mates that work there + my dad, so I still get told pretty much all that goes on there. the title is still the same. $hit kicker or mechanic if you will. But then again, I did alot more then a normal mechanic does. I did some driving, I managed the truck wash they own. I did the normal mechanics work on the trucks and trailers. I also ran freight to where it was supposed to go, made sure it was all the right weight and height as it said on the paper work. Made sure it got on the right trailer.

He only does the mechanics stuff. I was being paid for the mech's job. and just did the other stuff cause i can/could/wanted to. He doesn't.

Saintly
18th March 2009, 02:53 PM
i think legally they can't hire another person with the same title you had if they just made you redundant?

Tetsuwan Convoy
18th March 2009, 08:38 PM
Theoretically, yes, but I think that Turtleboy said it was about 6 months ago. Still, its just not cricket. But then if TB has moved on, then all is good.

Although 1orion2many, with no job, you could attend meets ALL THE TIME!:D

But you wouldn't be able to buy anything...:( That makes me sad.

1orion2many
19th March 2009, 09:56 AM
Theoretically, yes, but I think that Turtleboy said it was about 6 months ago. Still, its just not cricket. But then if TB has moved on, then all is good.

Although 1orion2many, with no job, you could attend meets ALL THE TIME!:D

But you wouldn't be able to buy anything...:( That makes me sad.

Yes you should be sad especially the amount I owe you:o:D, both you and Kyle:D

Kyle
19th March 2009, 11:13 AM

You can forget about my part, seriously. :)

k.wong23
19th March 2009, 01:25 PM
Sorry to hear mate, my parent company GM as i'm sure most read announced 40 000 job cuts across the GM brand and 10 000 salary cuts.

Tetsuwan Convoy
19th March 2009, 09:55 PM

ROFL! That is precisely what I was thinking about!!:D;)

Man, I am one selfish dude!;)

1orion2many
27th March 2009, 11:08 AM
Here it comes again, the dear John letters have been sent and everyone needs to be in the office on the 31st of March and the 1st of April, YES I said the 1st of April, Hilarious aren't they:rolleyes:. I think it's the end of finacial year for Europe that's why this date.

loophole
27th March 2009, 07:22 PM
i hope you come through on top mate.

1orion2many
31st March 2009, 12:25 PM
DOOMSDAY

Kyle
31st March 2009, 12:42 PM
Best of luck mate.

1orion2many
31st March 2009, 07:22 PM
I'M A BUM SIGH!

GoktimusPrime
31st March 2009, 07:54 PM
:( Gah. Hopefully you'll be back on your feet real soon.

turtle boy
31st March 2009, 08:02 PM
Good luck finding another job 1orion, hope you find one real soon.

Trailer Park Ninja
31st March 2009, 08:28 PM
Sorry to hear about that, keep your head up :)

loophole
31st March 2009, 08:51 PM
Sorry to hear about that dude, i hope that you find something soon and even better than before.

Paulbot
31st March 2009, 08:56 PM
:(

Kyle
31st March 2009, 09:31 PM
Very sorry man. I hope you find a new and better job soon. Don't forget you still have your good looks! Take care mate.

Robzy
31st March 2009, 09:32 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news! :( All the best bud!

blackie
31st March 2009, 10:29 PM
that sucks man
i just had my hours cut to 4.5 a week... now im not going to be able to get a loan to get a new car...

1orion2many
1st April 2009, 12:39 AM
:rolleyes:Oh well, I've got 6 months wages in the bank so if I don't find a job in that time there is something seriously wrong with me, either that or they are all jealous of my stunning good looks:D. I did get a phone call already tonight about a job so I have to go and see the people tomorrow but I don't know if it's what I want from what I have heard. It is mainly minesite work so I would guess I'd be looking at 2 on and 1 off, not what I really want but beggers can't be choosers.:o

Kyle
1st April 2009, 12:52 AM
Nice! That was quick! :D

Tetsuwan Convoy
1st April 2009, 04:14 AM
Must be those good looks we keep talking about.:D;)

1orion2many
1st April 2009, 10:47 AM
:oI'm in one of the industries in general that is still looking for people(just not my old work place). Conveyor belt Splicing, Rubberlining, really anything in general to do with conveyor belts and rubber coverage of chutes and pipes, no matter what, all these things are still in place on the minesites and still need maintenence:D. Of course it's my good looks Tets what else:confused::p:D

kup
1st April 2009, 11:27 AM
I am very sorry.

However you have 6 months pay so I am sure that it will all be worked out and sorted well before that. Take it as a little holiday time with a big bonus.

dirge
1st April 2009, 12:09 PM
): <hugs>

Bartrim
1st April 2009, 05:33 PM
rubber coverage of chutes and pipes,

Please this is a serious time, don't prompt me for dirty low brow jokes:p

Just trying to cheer you up. Hope it all works out for you.

1orion2many
1st April 2009, 08:41 PM
Please this is a serious time, don't prompt me for dirty low brow jokes:p

Just trying to cheer you up. Hope it all works out for you.

:eek:Sorry you have to do your own pipework rubber coverage :p:D

STL
2nd April 2009, 11:14 PM
Best of luck, bud. 6 months is a long time and hopefully it works out well for u. My Co.'s CEO basically signalled that there were be redundancies in 2-3 wks. A lot of ppl are very worried atm. Me included. He said they wanted to make it short and sharp. :(

Saintly
6th April 2009, 04:16 PM
my wife has just been told that she won't have a job when she goes on Easter break leave. *sigh*

Tabias Prime
6th April 2009, 07:59 PM
sorry to hear about the job loses,it sucks a times like this,DAMN AMERICANS AND THE SUB PRIME CRISIS AND THERE GREED.. I think I'm pretty safe with my job, I work for a small fibreglass company here in Perth,we've got work coming out our ears and more on the way...:( God i could do with a holiday.

GoktimusPrime
6th April 2009, 09:13 PM
DAMN AMERICANS AND THE SUB PRIME CRISIS AND THERE GREED..
*unties shoelaces* (http://www.sockandawe.com/) ;)

1orion2many
6th April 2009, 09:29 PM
:oThe most painful thing for me at the moment is trying to get a resume ready, I haven't had to do this in over 20 years:eek::D

kup
6th April 2009, 10:16 PM
The Irony is that I work for an American company and we seem to be doing well..

turtle boy
9th April 2009, 08:15 PM
Bad news every one. Monday, afternoon, about 2:00 o'clock. My boss(Nev) asked all the boys into the office. He started by saying, " I'd like to thank you all for all the hard work you've put into this job, but it was all for nothing. The accountant rang me this morning and said "I need to see you, can you come down"?.. He went down to the accountants office and was then told he was deemed legaly bank rupt. So now that he has no moneys letf, Me and 7 other guys are all out of work. And that really SUCKS!

MV75
9th April 2009, 08:54 PM
What work was it you were doing?

It does sound like something that would have happened anyway, gfc or not.

And I wouldn't worry, unless you're too stuck up or stupid to do any job, there's still plenty around.

loophole
9th April 2009, 09:01 PM
sorry to hear that, especially if it was unexpected :(

1orion2many
9th April 2009, 11:55 PM
Sorry to hear you lost your job as well Turtle.:(

turtle boy
10th April 2009, 06:41 AM
What work was it you were doing?

It does sound like something that would have happened anyway, gfc or not.

And I wouldn't worry, unless you're too stuck up or stupid to do any job, there's still plenty around.

I was welding, for a rigging company called "Northeast Rigging"

My job range is pretty good, I mean, I could go back driving, or doing the whole mechanic thing. Or I could start up doing graphics full time, and there's still welding to consider, so I'm safe aslong as i can find someone that need and new guy.

I went for an interview yesterday, it went well, only other guy that applied was some kid that walked in and said "i want to be an apprentice" Where I am a qualified trailer Mech. Who would you pick lol.

Thanks Loop and 1iorion.

liegeprime
10th April 2009, 08:52 AM
Well hope you guys get back on your feet soon. These are tough times, but we're all rootin for ayh.

Gok I only managed to get 13 hits :D:p

GoktimusPrime
10th April 2009, 10:10 AM
13's pretty good!

Hope you'll be back on your feet soon turtle_boy! Chin up! :)

turtle boy
10th April 2009, 10:16 AM
13's pretty good!

Hope you'll be back on your feet soon turtle_boy! Chin up! :)

So do I Goki, I've been drunk for 4 days in a row now, I don't like it.:(

Trailer Park Ninja
10th April 2009, 11:18 AM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Turtle Boy, but I'm sure with a skill set like yours it won't be too long before you're gainfully employed again.

MV75
10th April 2009, 03:09 PM
I was welding, for a rigging company called "Northeast Rigging"

My job range is pretty good, I mean, I could go back driving, or doing the whole mechanic thing. Or I could start up doing graphics full time, and there's still welding to consider, so I'm safe aslong as i can find someone that need and new guy.

I went for an interview yesterday, it went well, only other guy that applied was some kid that walked in and said "i want to be an apprentice" Where I am a qualified trailer Mech. Who would you pick lol.

Thanks Loop and 1iorion.

You've got real skills and not just "office" experience. You're adaptive then and will be fine. :)

1orion2many
4th May 2009, 06:27 PM
:oOh well employed again but back on the tools, this'll hurt my poor little body:eek::D. less money over a 40 hour week but it does have a flat overtime rate and another rate again for public holidays. I'm not a big fan of overtime as I have become lazy with old age :rolleyes:, unfortunately the nature of the beast at the moment is saying take the job for now at the very least. How is everyone else going on the job front?